- We’ve updated “our take” in each of our reviews to better identify what stands out about the provider. We’ve also refreshed the pros and cons for all of our picks with more recent and relevant information. Additionally, we added more tables around packages and pricing. It’s a bit more information to sort through, but we think it will be more helpful when weighing your options.
- Check out our latest report on safety statistics
The best home security systems offer a variety of products and services to choose from at an affordable price. After looking at 25 of the best home security systems and over 100 features, we boiled down the various research, considerations and conclusions. Overall, SimpliSafe does the most comprehensive job of keeping customers safe and making them feel safe.
Compare the Best Home Security Systems
- Best Overall DIY Security SystemMonitoring starts at
$14.99/mo.Equipment starts at
$229Self monitoringDIY & ProfessionalContract
- Best Home Security for Industry ExperienceMonitoring starts at
$49.99/mo.Equipment starts at
- Best Smart Home SecurityMonitoring starts at
$29. /mo.Equipment starts at
- Best Pet-Friendly Home SecurityMonitoring starts at
$44.99/mo.Equipment starts at
- Best for Video DoorbellsMonitoring starts at
$14.99/mo.Equipment starts at
$199.99Self monitoringDIY & ProfessionalContract
- Best for Instant Text AlertsMonitoring starts at
$14.99/mo.Equipment starts at
- Best for Professional MonitoringMonitoring starts at
$39/mo.Equipment starts at
$199Self monitoringDIY & ProfessionalContract
- Best for Self-MonitoringMonitoring starts at
$20/mo.Equipment starts at
$229Self monitoringDIY & ProfessionalContract
- Best for Flexible MonitoringMonitoring starts at
$19.99/mo.Equipment starts at
- Best Build Your Own PackageMonitoring starts at
$30.99/mo.Equipment starts at
- Best for Smart Home Integration OptionsMonitoring starts at
$19.99/mo.Equipment starts at
Home security deals & savings
- Get free shipping on all LOREX on all orders.
- LOREX Mother’s Day Sale: Up to $1,000 off select products.
- Free Vivint Installation- Get free installation on your new Vivint home security system. Enter code SAFETY at checkout.
- For a limited time, get up to $250 off a new Link Interactive security system.
- Shop Cove’s Sales & Savings – Get the best deals on new systems and add-on equipment
- Get 50% off any Blue by ADT security camera with code HALFOFF.
- Get 15% off Abode accessories with a Starter Kit. Use code MOM21.
- Get $50 off when you buy a Ring Alarm 5-Piece Kit + Wired Video Doorbell.
- 10% off your first Scout order.
Check out more home security deals and limited-time offers.
Deals from these providers are accurate as of May 5, 2021.
Which home security system is best for me?
Your ideal home security system depends on many factors. Consider your home’s square footage, entry points and your security needs. You should also think about your desired cost and whether you want some services including professional monitoring and installation. There’s a lot to consider from smart home compatibility to surveillance. So, how do you decide which system is best for you?
It all comes down to knowing you’re safe and feeling safe. Here are a few of our recommendations based on a few common needs.
Renters and Frequent Movers:
It’s best to look for DIY options that are wireless and contract-free so you can easily pack and reinstall if you move.
Some security providers, like Vivint and ADT, offer pet-friendly adjustable sensors to reduce false alerts from pets wandering your home.
ADT is one of the best options for senior citizens thanks to its professional monitoring, reliable equipment, and access to medical alerts for senior safety.
Homeowners with Kids:
Vivint, SimpliSafe or ADT are the best options for parents thanks to their sturdy equipment, convenient control options, and professional monitoring plans.
Homeowners with Smart Home Integrations in Mind:
If you’re looking to connect dozens of smart home devices and connect them to your security system for smart security, we recommend Scout, Link Interactive, Ring, or Vivint.
If you’re always on the go, you’ll need a home security system that gives you full control with your mobile device. We recommend Vivint, Ring, SimpliSafe and Frontpoint.
What are the best home security systems?
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top home security pick because it offers reliable home security equipment at a cheaper price than most competitors. Even though smart home equipment isn’t offered, you’ll have the flexibility to create the system you want within your budget thanks to SimpliSafe’s customizable plans. But keep in mind that you’ll need to pay for equipment upfront because financing isn’t available.
★ Recommended package: The Haven plan offers the best value among SimpliSafe’s offerings. It gives you intrusion and environmental monitoring equipment for less than $500. The package includes security essentials, a smoke detector, a temperature sensor and more. You can add cameras and SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro for the full SimpliSafe security experience.Research SimpliSafe
- Equipment and monitoring plans are cheaper than competitors
- Optional professional monitoring and installation
- Customizable packages and easy add-ons
- Upfront costs are more expensive than competitors
- No smart home equipment available
- Must upgrade to plan for remote and smart home control
SimpliSafe pricing and packages
SimpliSafe has five packages to choose from, or you can build your own system tailored to your security needs. Here’s a glance at the packages, costs and equipment included. Each package comes with a base station and keypad.
Foundation Essentials Hearth Knox Haven Cost $229 $259 $374 $449 $489 Entry sensors 1 3 3 6 4 Motion sensors 1 1 1 2 2 Siren X X 1 1 1 Temperature sensor X X X X 1 Smoke detector X X 1 1 1 Water sensor X X X X 1 Panic button X X X X 1
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT is one of the most well-known home security providers. You can expect traditional security with professional monitoring and installation. Choose from three packages, but keep in mind that you’ll need to upgrade your package if you want smart home or surveillance features. ADT also requires long-term contracts, but equipment financing is available.
★ Recommended Plan: We recommend the Complete package to give you everything you need from the start. It’s the only plan that includes security essentials, smart home compatibility and surveillance. Professional installation and monitoring are also included. Best of all, you’ll get ADT’s 6-month money-back guarantee and theft protection guarantee.Research ADT
- 6-month money-back guarantee and theft protection guarantee
- Wide variety of smart home equipment
- Over 140 years of experience with award-winning professional monitoring
- Must upgrade plan for smart home or surveillance features and equipment
- Professional installation and monitoring are required
- Long-term contract required
ADT packages and pricing
You’ll need to call for ADT package pricing and special offers. Each package includes these features:
- Intrusion detection
- Fire, CO and flood monitoring
- Touchscreen control panel
- Voice control integration
Here are the big differences to expect between ADT’s packages.
Secure Smart Complete Mobile app control X ✓ ✓ Smart home automation X ✓ ✓ Surveillance X X ✓ Video storage X X ✓
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
If you’re looking for smart home security, Vivint is our top choice. It offers the most extensive line of smart home and security equipment. Its intrusion and environmental equipment are filled with smart features, and the control panel doubles as a smart hub to connect and control your smart home devices. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
★ Recommended Plan: Vivint offers two packages: Smart Home and Smart Security. We recommend the Smart Home package to give you video monitoring, smart home control, environmental monitoring and the security essentials in one package.Research Vivint
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
Vivint packages and pricing
Rather than offering standard packages, Vivint prides itself on custom building your system to fit your security needs like a glove. You’ll be able to choose the number of sensors, cameras and smart home equipment you need. Here’s a look at Vivint’s product prices for some of their most popular products. Keep in mind that you can finance your equipment over 42 or 60 months.
Product Pricing Smart hub $399.99 SkyControl panel $399.99 Smart sensor $50 Motion sensor $100 Doorbell Camera Pro $249.99 Ping Camera $199.99 Smart Drive $249.99
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint is a DIY security option that offers wireless security and smart home equipment. It’s a close runner-up compared to SimpliSafe. You’ll have more surveillance options with two indoor cameras, an outdoor and doorbell camera. Professional monitoring is required and can be costly compared to others, but you can save money with Frontpoint’s easy DIY installation. Mobile app and video surveillance are also included in the cost instead of an extra fee.
★ Recommended Plan: Frontpoint’s Bunker Package is ideal for most homes. It comes with the essentials for intrusion, plus an indoor camera and smoke detector for $634. If you’re debating between the Bunker and Fortress packages, the big difference is that you’ll get more sensors with Fortress — good for larger homes.Research Frontpoint
- Smart home equipment available
- Financing available to lower upfront cost
- Mobile app and video surveillance included in monitoring cost
- No professional installation option
- Expensive professional monitoring
- Trial period is only 30 days
Frontpoint packages and pricing
Each Frontpoint package comes with a hub and keypad. You’ll also get a yard sign and three window decals. The best package for you depends on your equipment and security needs. Frontpoint sometimes offers promotions for package discounts and free equipment.
Safehouse Bunker Fortress Cost $435.95 $633.92 $797.88 Entry sensors 2 3 6 Motion sensor 1 1 2 Indoor camera X 1 1 Smoke and heat sensor X 1 1
- Best for Video Doorbells
Ring Home SecurityOur rating9.3Starting at$10/mo
Our take on Ring Home Security:
You may know Ring best for its wide variety of standalone doorbell cameras. But we love Ring for offering standalone equipment and whole-home security systems without requiring a contract. Like SimpliSafe, you choose DIY monitoring and installation or leave it to the pros. But if you want video recording or professional monitoring, you’ll need to upgrade to one of Ring’s Protect Plans.
★ Recommended package: We recommend the 14-Piece Kit to give you the Video Doorbell 3, Spotlight Battery camera and enough security essentials to fit a single-family home. It’s $760, but you’ll have all the top Ring features, video surveillance and a range extender for the best wifi connection for your devices.Research Ring
- Standalone equipment and whole-home systems available
- DIY and professional installation and monitoring available
- A wide range of comparatively cheap equipment
- Paid Protect Plan required for video storage and smart features
- Only works with Amazon Alexa
- Cellular backup only available with a Ring Protect Plan
Ring packages and pricing
Ring offers a wide range of equipment to protect your home. You can choose standalone products or a Ring system to connect your favorite Z-wave or Amazon Alexa-enabled devices. Ring offers three security systems to choose from. Your ideal package will mainly be decided by the number of pieces of equipment you need. Each system comes with a base station.
5-piece 10-piece 14-piece Cost $199.99 $259.99 $329.99 Contact sensor 1 5 8 Motion detector 1 2 2 Range extender 1 1 1 Keypad 1 1 2
Other home security systems to consider
- Best for Instant Text Alerts
Cove SecurityOur rating9.3Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on Cove Security:
Cove has one of the easiest security setups. It’s newer compared to other industry providers, but two features set them apart. Cove InstaText sends a text message if an alarm is triggered. And if there’s an emergency, LiveAssist uses two-way audio to speak with a professional monitoring agent using the control panel. You’ll need to build your own package, but it’s one of the ways Cove keeps security affordable.
★ Recommended plan: Cove currently doesn’t offer any plans, but its website helps you select the equipment you need depending on whether you need security for a home, apartment or business. Then, Cove will share its best recommendations and you can adjust the equipment selection based on your security needs.
- InstaText and LiveAssist for emergency assistance
- Three-factor communication if an alarm is triggered
- 60-day risk-free trial
- No smart home equipment or compatibility available
- Professional monitoring required
- No professional installation option
- Best for Professional Monitoring
Brinks Home SecurityOur rating9.3Starting at$29.99/mo
Our Take on Brinks Home Security
Brinks has a lot of similarities with ADT. Everything from required professional monitoring, smart home equipment, required contracts and packages. The big difference with Brinks is that you can cut costs with Brinks’ DIY installation. Or you can leave it to the pros. If you want traditional home security, but feel comfortable setting it up yourself, Brinks is the best choice.
★ Recommended Plan: We recommend Brinks’ Ultimate package to give you smart home automation, surveillance and security basics from the start. You’ll have the control panel that doubles as a smart hub for Z-wave connectivity and control. The package also comes with a video doorbell, outdoor camera and mobile app control. Keep in mind that a contract is required for service.
- 2-year equipment warranty
- Impressive industry experience and reputation
- Flexible installation options
- No equipment for environmental monitoring
- Touchscreen control panel not available in all packages
- Lengthy contracts for some equipment packages
- Best for Self-Monitoring
Abode SecurityBBB ratingCStarting at$6/mo
Our take on Abode Home Security:
Simply put, Abode gives you plenty of features in your security equipment. Abode offers DIY smart security solutions that are easy to install and control. We love that each device gives you more than expected. For example, Abode’s Iota Security hub has a built-in siren, HD camera, two-way audio and can connect up to 160 smart devices. You’ll have to set up the system yourself and Abode requires service, but it’s affordable and worth every penny.
★Recommended package: The Iota All-in-One Security Kit Elite is our favorite pick. We love the built-in hub features. Plus, you’ll still get the security essentials for $503. If you’re looking for an option with more cameras, we recommend the Smart Security Kit Complete for a solution that has two Abode Cam 2 cameras.
- Works with Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa and Apple HomeKit
- Smart hub with built-in security with smart home features
- Camera that doubles as an indoor, outdoor and doorbell camera
- Warranty only lasts 1 year
- Requires paid plan for service and most features
- No professional installation option
- Best for Flexible Monitoring
Blue by ADTOur rating9Starting at$19.99/mo
Our take on Blue by ADT:
Blue by ADT is very similar to Ring, but with fewer options. You can choose a standalone camera or a whole-home system with sensors and motion detectors. Blue by ADT is a wireless DIY security choice that uses ADT’s professional monitoring. But unlike ADT, monitoring is optional and no contract is required. Best of all, we love that Blue by ADT’s cameras have smart features including facial recognition, smoke and carbon monoxide detector alerts and customizable motion zones.
★Recommended package: We recommend the Starter Plus System to give you all the intrusion protection equipment needed for a single-family home. The solution comes with mobile app control, a smart base station to connect Z-wave devices, four entryway sensors and two motion detectors for $300. Keep in mind that cameras cost extra, but can be added anytime.
- Standalone and whole-home security solutions
- Optional professional monitoring by ADT’s award-winning specialists
- Works with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa
- No professional installation option
- No smart home equipment offered
- Cloud storage costs extra
How much does home security cost?
The best home security systems are affordable and offer flexible payment options. But there are several costs to add up when buying home security. You may not have to pay a few of these costs depending on your home security provider’s available services and equipment. The average cost of home security is close to $300. Most families pay between $10 – $35 for professional monitoring and between $100 – $250 for equipment. Here’s a breakdown of costs to factor in.
Professional monitoring: Some providers, like ADT and Vivint, require professional monitoring. The cost will depend on your package, but most providers charge between $10 – $35. But you may be able to cut this cost with DIY monitoring for free with providers, like SimpliSafe and Blue by ADT.
Equipment: Depending on your provider, you may have the option to pay monthly installments of your equipment with your other service costs and usually requires a contract. On the other hand, some DIY home security systems must be purchased upfront and may not offer financing options. But you’ll still have the flexibility to buy what’s within your budget for now and add-on later.
Installation: Traditional home security systems require professional installation for a proper setup. Installation averages at $100, but DIY home security systems may offer self-installation to eliminate this cost. If you’d like professional installation for your DIY system you’ll likely use a third-party installer and costs will vary depending on your equipment.
Video surveillance and storage: You’ll need to factor in the cost of cloud storage if you add security cameras. Some providers, like Ring, require separate storage plans for each camera. You can expect to spend at up to $10 per month for video storage if it’s not included in your monitoring plan. If you’d like continuous video recording (CVR) you’ll likely need to pay extra, like the Nest Aware Plus plan for $12 per month.
Smart home features: If you’d like smart home features like voice control and automated routines, you may need to upgrade your home security package. For example, both SimpliSafe and ADT require an upgraded monthly plan for smart home features and mobile app control.
Remember to always look for home security deals and savings to help lower the cost. Some providers may offer free installation or waive fees with certain packages.
More home security systems options
What are the common home security system equipment and features?
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
What are the best home security systems in my area?
Do I need a home security system?
Safety.com conducted a home security survey to find out more about alarm system ownership and the motivation behind security alarm purchases. Here are a few insights about home security systems:
- About 74% of survey respondents say their home security system or product makes them feel safe. A security system gives you peace of mind knowing that your provider has equipped you with the right equipment to get help quickly if something unexpected happens.
- 50% of respondents who own security products wanted to add extra security to their homes. Security systems should give you the flexibility to easily add equipment based on your security needs. You should have everything you need to feel safe. Providers like SimpliSafe and Scout make it easy to add security equipment whenever you need it.
- 38% of Americans own a home security product. And 41% of 18-34-year-old respondents (Gen-Z and Millennials) own a home security system or product. Did you know that installing a home security system can help deter burglars? Starting with standalone security such as a Ring video doorbell or camera can help keep you safe and increase preventative measures.
- 33% of those who don’t own a home security product said they couldn’t afford it. Fortunately, DIY home security systems that don’t require a contract let you start with the essentials and expand over time. Systems like Cove and SimpliSafe allow you to build your system based on your budget. And some options like Frontpoint let you finance your equipment so you can pay over time without breaking the bank.
- About 16% of all respondents own a professionally monitored security system. 24/7 professional monitoring can alert emergency responders whether you’re home or away. You’ll have a fast emergency response to catch intruders or respond to an emergency while you focus on staying safe from harm.
How Do We Rank the Best Home Security Systems?
Latest Safety survey statistics
Where Did Our Sleep Go? Up to 61 Million U.S. Adults Lost Sleep in 2020 From Feeling Unsafe
A survey conducted by Safety.com reveals that 1 in 4 Americans lost sleep in 2020 due to concerns about their security.
- 1 in 4 (24%) U.S. adults lost sleep in 2020 for safety-related concerns.
- Gen Z and Millennials were most likely to lose sleep.
- Women were found to lose more sleep than men
- More than half of U.S. adults surveyed don’t have a home security system.
- Most admit that locking their doors and windows made them feel safe during the night.
1 in 4 Americans Weren’t Planning to Protect Their Homes From Burglary in the 2020 Holiday Season
A Safety.com survey found that nearly 1 in 4 Americans (24%) weren’t taking any steps to protect their homes from break-ins during the 2020 holiday season — not even if they were traveling away from home. While almost half of Americans (48%) were planning to rely on home security features they already own (like door and window locks), our survey results also indicate 54 million U.S. adults planned to leave their home unattended for more than a few hours during the 2020 holiday season, leaving them more vulnerable to burglaries.
- An estimated $57 billion in packages will be delivered during the holidays.
- 54 million US adults will leave their homes unattended this holiday season.
- Only 38% of Americans have a home security system.
- 44% of Americans plan to rely on door and window locks, but 1 in 4 Americans don’t plan to proactively prevent burglaries this holiday season.
Baby Boomers seem to be the most concerned about burglary, while Millennials seem to be the least concerned.
- A number of cost-effective home security devices could deter burglars.
Read More: Tips & Tools for Preventing Package Theft
How do we rank the best home security systems?
Home Security FAQ's
- Price – You can expect to pay for equipment and professional monitoring. Additional fees for installation and activation may apply.
- Contracts – The average contract length is three years, but there are many home security providers that have no-contract options.
- Monitoring Options – Choose between professional or self-monitoring for your system.
- Connectivity Options – Choose between a landline, broadband, or cellular monitoring connection.
- Equipment – Basics like a control panel or hub and sensors come with every security system. Additional equipment can include cameras, smoke detectors, and smart devices.
- Smart Home Integrations – Products like smart lights, locks, and more are generally offered. Integration with Alexa, Google Assistant, and other technologies can be found as well.
- Mobile App Access – Get remote access and control by mobile app, allowing you to arm, disarm, and manage smart devices.
- Trial Period – Typically, providers give you 30 days to try out your new security system, but the trial period can vary.
We chose SimpliSafe as our top pick for its easy-to-install and affordable home security systems. The other security systems we recommend are also great options that might work well depending on your home security needs. When choosing a home security system, always consider what you need first and then go with the provider that aligns with what you’re looking for and can afford.
The best alarm system will fit your budget and also include the devices and features you need and want to help protect your home.
The need for a permit will depend on the provider. Some local areas require permits to help reduce the number of false alarms and unnecessary emergency responses.
If a home security system comes with a smart device or home automation capabilities, companies may deem that system as “smart.” You’ll be able to set up custom automation or manage smart devices while using your control panel and mobile app.
Most security alarm systems come with a mobile app, giving you the ability to arm, disarm, manage smart devices, and more by the touch of a finger.
For home automation combined with home security, we recommend Vivint or Nest. Vivint’s price tag is higher, but there’s a broader selection of smart home devices you can get with a Vivint security system. These include a lamp module, the Nest Learning Thermostat, a garage door controller and a Kwikset Smart Lock.
Like Vivint, with the Nest Secure System, you can also use multiple home automation products like the Nest x Yale Smart Lock, Nest Hub, Google Home and much more.