Video Doorbell Buying Guide
In today’s world, we no longer have to respond to a knock or rely on a fisheye lens to see who’s at the door. Since video doorbells complete with cameras have emerged, more and more homeowners are ditching the traditional doorbell for a safer way to respond to visitors.
What is a video doorbell?
The name “video doorbell” is pretty much a perfect descriptor of what it actually is. Simply put, it’s a doorbell with video capabilities. However, it’s even more than that. A video doorbell is also a WiFi-enabled smart device with motion detectors, recording capabilities and a microphone speaker combination that allows you to speak to the person at the door. Video doorbells allow homeowners to communicate with visitors before they open the door. In the event that the visitor is unwanted, or may even be a potential intruder, a camera can help identify an unsafe situation.
How does a video doorbell work?
A video doorbell functions in the following ways:
- It connects to your home’s existing doorbell wiring, audible alerts and WiFi network.
- It chimes just like a typical doorbell when pushed. Some doorbell camera models have motion detection that senses when someone is in close proximity to your front door and will begin to record.
- It sends a notification to your smartphone via your WiFi network connection to alert you that someone is at your door.
- The video doorbell’s corresponding mobile app allows you to watch real-time video from the doorbell camera. Depending on your video doorbell model, it will start recording as soon as someone rings the doorbell or motion is detected.
- Most video doorbell models will feature a microphone (within your mobile app) and a speaker that allows you to talk to visitors through the video doorbell. Some video doorbell models allow you to interact with your visitors via a two-way audio system.
The benefits of a video doorbell
Let’s face it, opening the door to see who’s there isn’t necessarily an effective safety precaution. And sometimes, we just don’t want to open the door if we see that we don’t know who the person is approaching. A video doorbell lets you safely view who’s at your door without having to put yourself at risk in case it’s a potential intruder. If you’re interested in improving the security of your home, a video doorbell is the home security tech for you. Here are the benefits of having a video doorbell:
- Communicate with your visitors using two-way communication – Away from your house or tending to small children? Answer your door by logging into the smartphone app and have a two-way conversation with your visitor. You can tell them to come back, direct them to leave any items or give them other directions.
- Choose who you let in – If you are hesitant to open your door without knowing who’s on the other side, you’re not alone. A video doorbell allows you to see who’s there before answering.
- Have a wide view of your doorstep or porch – A video doorbell will allow you to see much wider angles of your porch or doorstep. No more limited views through a peephole or peek through the window.
- Enables night vision – Depending on your video doorbell model, your doorbell camera might have night vision. This allows you to see your doorstep at night.
- Keeps packages safe –30% of shoppers have had a package stolen from their front porch, according to a survey of online shoppers. A video doorbell lets you see when your packages arrive so you can take measure to keep them safe. Plus, if your package is stolen, you’ll be able to see who it is so you can file a detailed report.
Bottom line, a video doorbell provides a safe, reliable way to monitor what happens at your front door.