Our Top 3 Thermostats
Nest Learning Thermostat
ecobee4 Smart Thermostat
Honeywell Programmable Thermostat
Factors to consider when purchasing a smart thermostat
What smart thermostat features are available?
Smart thermostats can boast many different capabilities. Some thermostats will allow you to create a schedule, monitor your habits and even track the amount of energy you consume. Other features you’ll find include remote access by app, geofencing, weather reports and room sensing. All of these provide greater convenience in your day-to-day routines.
How easily can the smart thermostat be installed?
Do you want to save money with a DIY installation, or would you rather have a professional install your system for you? When comparing your options, find out if consumers report that the device is relatively easy to install or if a professional is required to do the installation.
Can you save energy with a smart thermostat?
One of the biggest perks about some smart home devices is their capacity to help homeowners conserve energy and save on their energy bill. Look for a device that will track your settings and create a report that allows you to see how much energy you’re actually saving.
Getting smarter: What are smart thermostats?
Smart thermostats boast a lot more capabilities than their digital and manual counterparts. But, how are they capable of performing these more human tasks? Smart thermostats have this enhanced ability by way of built-in algorithms. These devices capture information from users and the environment and then makes decisions based on that data. As a result, these thermostats not only control the temperature, but they also know when you’re away or at home, know your behaviors, know the weather and much more.
How much does a smart thermostat cost?
Smart thermostats are more expensive than your average ones, but the convenience and energy savings make purchasing a smart thermostat worth it as they provide a return on investment. Homeowners could expect to pay upwards of $200 or more for the technological advancements of smart thermostats versus paying less than $70 for general, manual thermostats.
What are home temperature monitoring devices?
Home temperature monitoring devices help to maintain the climate in an area of your home, like a basement, wine cellar or an attic. An alarm will sound if the temperature exceeds or falls below its original setting to alert homeowners of a change in conditions. Today, instead of using traditional temperature monitoring devices in certain rooms, more families are switching to smart thermostats that will keep track of the home’s climate with little human input. Unlike temperature monitoring devices, some smart thermostats, like the Nest Learning Thermostat, will even keep tabs on the humidity in your home and adjust as necessary.
10 Best Smart Thermostats
Best Energy-Saving Thermostat
1. Nest Learning Thermostat
Designed with Farsight so you can easily view the temperature, the Nest Learning Thermostat is a smart device that will learn your schedule and automatically adjust the temperature for you. You can also save on your monthly energy bills with this ENERGY-START certified device.
- Simple installation in as little as half an hour
- Customizable ring colors to fit the style of your home
- Generates monthly energy reports for you
Best for Room Temperature Control
2. ecobee4 Smart Thermostat
Don’t wait to push a button, control the ecobee4 Smart Thermostat with your voice through Amazon Alexa. Advanced in design, this device detects hot and cold spots and will adjust the temperature based on occupancy for consistent comfort throughout your home.
- Can sense hot and cold spots and adjust the temperature based on occupancy
- HomeIQ allows you to see how much energy you’re conserving
- Control by voice with built-in Amazon Alexa
Best for Ease of Use
3. Honeywell Programmable Thermostat
With accurate temperature control, the Honeywell 7-Day Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat allows you to create a comfortable home environment through scheduling. Easy-to-read text and a backlit touchscreen makes this thermostat a sensible option for your home.
- Easy to read backlit touchscreen
- Create a 7-day schedule for your home
- Heating and cooling is automatically adjusted with Smart Response Technology
4. Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat
Named as an Amazon Choice product, the Emerson Sensi Wi-Fi Thermostat can be programmed according to your schedule and controlled from your smartphone, tablet or computer. Heightened temperature accuracy allows you to maintain a comfortable home environment.
- Create your own heating and cooling schedules
- Can be programmed remotely by smartphone, tablet or computer
- Compatible with digital assistants like Amazon Alexa, Google Home and more
5. Mysa Smart Thermostat
Created with a simple, yet elegant design, the Mysa Smart Thermostat for Electric Baseboard Heaters gives you the freedom to control your home’s temperature wherever you go. Go into Vacation Mode when you’re away from home to save on energy.
- Control your temperature no matter your location by smartphone
- Create maximum comfort in your home with simple scheduling
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa and other digital assistants
6. Ditra Programmable Floor Heating Thermostat
Keep your home comfortable and set programming for up to 6 periods each day with the Ditra Heat Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat. This device also comes with a floor temperature sensor and allows you to keep tabs on your energy consumption.
- Built with a setup wizard to help with getting started
- Features up to 6 programmable periods for each day
- Gives you the ability to track energy consumption
7. Orbit Programmable Thermostat
Featuring an easy-to-use interface, the Orbit Clear Comfort Programmable Thermostat not only allows you to program your settings for up to 7 days, but it also recommends certain settings to help you conserve energy. To ensure your comfort, this thermostat also has an early-start feature.
- Create a 7-day schedule by programming temperatures
- Can copy and paste schedules to prevent re-entering information
- Suggested settings from Energy Star allows for optimal energy conservation
8. SunTouch Programmable Thermostat
Get creative and choose your own color scheme with the SunTouch Command Touchscreen Programmable Thermostat. With the ability to create your own 7-day schedule and a setup wizard to get you up and running, this device is a sensible option for controlling the heating and cooling of your home.
- Features the ability to create a 7-day schedule
- Designed with a 3.5 inch touch display with multiple color schemes
- Get up and running easily with the setup wizard and help screens
9. Nuheat Home Programmable Dual-Voltage Thermostat
Keep climate control simple with the 7-day programmable Nuheat Home Dual-Voltage Thermostat. A high-resolution touchscreen helps with easy setup while the ability to track your energy consumption reduces “blind spots” and keeps you up-to-date.
- Create a 7-day schedule for your comfort
- Intuitive touchscreen navigation and setup wizard helps to get you started
- Energy tracker helps you stay up to date on how much energy you use
10. ADT Smart Thermostat
The ADT Smart Thermostat makes it easy to control the temperature in your home. Simply use your smartphone to automatically adjust and schedule each room’s temperature using the ADT app. The thermostat includes a built-in backlight to easily read the temperature in the dark. ADT’s Smart Thermostat requires professional installation for a seamless set-up with your existing HVAC system.
- Compatible with Z-wave smart hubs to connect other home automation devices
- Works with standard HVAC systems and heat pumps
- Set customizable mobile alerts if your home becomes too warm or cold
What are the benefits of smart thermostats?
The benefits of buying a smart thermostat are numerous. With advanced technology for smart home devices on the market, return on investment and convenience make these products good buys. Here are several benefits that top our list:
- Remote control access through your smartphone, tablet or computer
- Capability to program temperatures for an optimal climate
- Conserve energy usage (especially for the forgetful)
- Create a comfortable home environment
- Maintain an optimal climate while you’re on vacation
- Receive energy reports to help you save on your power bill
Find the best smart thermostat for your home
There’s so much to be gained with this smart home device. With our top 10 picks, we’re confident you’ll find the best one that will suit your needs. Looking for more options? Feel free to check out these top-rated smart thermostats on Amazon.