Compare Top Providers
1st Alarm Security
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||3-year equipment warranty||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About Lubbock, TX
Lubbock began in 1890 as a city of 50 people, and home security wasn’t as important as it is now. Over the following 130 years, Lubbock grew to be the home of 295,999 hospitable Western Texans, and home security is more important these days.
From early beginnings in hot, dry West Texas as a farming community, where the cotton industry still produces several million bales of cotton each year, Lubbock became a crossroads of the region’s culture. You can find a diverse art scene, live music venues, award-winning wineries and many more exhibits of art and culture. This is why Lubbock entertains millions of annual visitors.
In addition, Lubbock celebrates learning, and is the home of Texas Tech, which brings the energy of a college town to the city, and provides residents and visitors the opportunity to watch great college sports teams compete in football, volleyball, basketball and more.
Lubbock Crime Statistics
In 2018, the FBI reports that Lubbock had over 8,200 reported larceny-theft incidents. Burglary came in second with over 2,300 incidents reported in 2018. Here is a breakdown of some of the major offenses by type in Lubbock:
- 8,228 incidents of larceny-theft
- 2,312 incidents of burglary
- 1,870 incidents of aggravated assault
- 1,203 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 443 incidents of robbery
Based on data from Neighborhood Scout, crime in Lubbock is far worse than in the rest of Texas, and the U.S. average. The website rates the city as safer than just 3% of U.S. cities. However, CityRating.com claims that violent crime is on the decline in Lubbock, although it also admits property crime is on the rise. We think these are good reasons to consider professional home security companies and some type of alarm system.
- Regional TX Provider
1st Alarm SecurityBBB ratingB-Starting at$34.99/mo
1st Alarm is a moderately affordable home security option for El Paso residents, especially considering there’s no need to purchase equipment upfront. The packages include a range of equipment so that you pay for only what you need. If you oversee your property from afar, you can have all the best monitoring equipment keeping track. Unfortunately, First Alarm isn’t transparent about its contract requirements or pricing for additional services such as environmental monitoring, and their service comes with activation fees.
- Smart home devices and home automation features
- No upfront equipment purchase required
- Video surveillance packages available
- $69–$99 activation fee for each plan
- No transparent pricing for additional services
- No transparent about contract requirements
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other Local Home Security Providers for Lubbock
- Guardian Security Solutions – Provides security system installation, monitoring, and maintenance for residential, commercial, education, government and other industries.
- Hi-Fidelity – Builds, installs and maintains security systems for businesses and individuals. Residential options include alarms, detection, and surveillance camera systems.
- Professional Security Provider Lubbock – Specializes in smart home system consultations, installation, and monitoring services.
Surrounding Areas For Lubbock
Lubbock is composed of 60 neighborhoods including Burris, Hurlwood, Reese Village and Slide, as well as surrounding towns like Wolfforth, Levelland, Shallowater and Ropesville.
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Lubbock
Because burglary and property crime are on the rise in Lubbock it is important to choose security companies that include video surveillance. Some reports indicate burglaries even occur when residents are at home, making a loud, audible alarm system an important feature.
At just $14.99 per month for its basic plan, SimpliSafe Security is the least expensive home security provider in Lubbock. Least expensive doesn’t always mean best, however, so be sure to compare features and options before making a decision.
If professional installation is important to you, then you have several good choices for alarm companies in Lubbock. SimpliSafe Security and ADT Home Security are two national providers offering professional installation, and the regional choice 1stAlarm also offers professional installation of its security systems.
All of the security firms we’ve included above in our review will include security cameras as a part of their packages. The only caveat is that some offer security cameras in basic packages, while others require more expensive packages before offering video surveillance.
Not all home security services will require a contract for service in Lubbock, but of the companies included as our top choices do. Vivint Home Security, ADT Home Security and 1st Alarm require contracts as part of their service agreement.