According to The Verge, Spectrum, part of Charter Communications, is closing down its home security service on February 5, 2020. What this means for customers with Spectrum home security equipment is that they won’t have access to the provider’s professional monitoring service any longer. Engadget reports that customers’ devices will still be able to function, but one of the larger purposes of home security systems is having access to monitoring in the event of emergencies.
This will also leave customers with home security equipment that can’t be used with other providers’ monitoring services. Spectrum’s firmware wasn’t designed to support other devices, causing the equipment to become un-useful.
Our take on Abode Home Security
Abode is a budget-friendly option for tech-savvy individuals who are comfortable setting up and monitoring their own security systems. Its ample smart home integrations provide a good foundation for uniting all of your home automation devices.
- Flexible monitoring plans
- Option for short-term professional monitoring
- Access to an all-in-one security system
- Professional monitoring only available in highest tiered monitoring plan
- Cellular backup not available in basic monitoring plan
- Understanding custom home automation features could be difficult for some
Our take on Ring Home Security
Ring offers complete security systems, video doorbells, cameras and more for your home’s protection.The base security system comes with 5 pieces: a base station, keypad, contact sensor, motion detector, and range extender. This alarm security kit has a retail price of $199.00.
What we like
- Inexpensive equipment and professional monitoring
- Easy to install
- A range of security camera devices
What we don’t like
- Video recording not available without a Ring Protect Plan
- Higher-tiered packages cover more area, but don’t add any features
- Cellular backup not available without a Ring Protect Plan
Our take on ADT Home Security
ADT Inc. stands apart as the home security company with the most experience and the best guarantee in the industry. That’s on top of certified monitoring centers and a competitive equipment lineup that includes intrusion protection, environmental monitoring, video surveillance and smart home automation.
- 140+ years in business
- 6-month money back guarantee
- $500 Theft Protection guarantee
- Contract required
- No self-installation option
- Mobile app access not available in basic package
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security
SimpliSafe could be considered a disrupter in the home security industry, because it was among the first to provide forward-thinking customer benefits like self-installation, self-monitoring, video verification and month-to-month pricing. Its generous 60-day risk-free trial helps ensure long-term customer satisfaction.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in basic monitoring plan
Our take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint offers all of today’s must-have home security features (professional monitoring, top-of-the-line equipment, home automation, mobile app access) with the added benefit of extensive smart home options and flexibility with your equipment and payment plan.
- Flexible equipment configuration
- Flexible payment options
- Variety of cutting-edge smart home devices and features
- Long contract if financing equipment
- Expensive equipment cost
- No DIY installation option
The best option for you and your family will hinge on your needs, budget, and goals. If you’d like to consider more options, we have a comparison of some of the top home security providers in the nation.