SimpliSafe tops our best home security systems and is a popular home security choice nationwide. The company’s easy installation, affordable systems and convenient features make it a DIY security favorite. SimpliSafe has several plans that vary in the number of equipment pieces and intrusion protection levels and features. Best of all, SimpliSafe plans are contract-free, allowing you to expand your system with equipment at an affordable price whenever you need it.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Video alarm verification with police dispatch
- Alerts not available with basic monitoring plan
- Video recording not available with basic monitoring plan
- Only one smart device available for purchase
SimpliSafe’s Top Choice for Renters
In addition to being our top choice across the industry, SimpliSafe is the most popular option for renters for a few reasons. SimpliSafe is a contract-free option with DIY equipment. That means renters have flexibility in choosing the equipment they want without a long-term agreement.
Customers can also get the flexibility of self or professional monitoring starting at $14.99 per month, and you can cancel anytime. You can even set-up systems in a matter of minutes and expand their system during one of SimpliSafe’s many sales.
Find your Home Security Match
Answer a few questions to find out which system we recommend for you.
SimpliSafe ranks high because your system’s built with intrusion detection and prevention in mind. The sensors are designed to be pet-friendly to reduce false alarms. The base station is ‘smash-safe’ to alert emergency responders still if your base station is smashed during a break-in. And if your sensors are triggered, the base station will sound an alarm, alert you, and alert SimpliSafe’s monitoring center to dispatch for help. The station also is powered with cellular backup to continue to work during a power outage.
You’ll have complete control of your home’s security with SimpliSafe using the mobile app. You’ll be able to arm and disarm your system from your smartphone. The app also lets you check your system’s activity log and your system’s current status anytime. And if a sensor is triggered, you’ll receive an instant mobile alert. SimpliSafe’s DIY sensors also give you control of how your system works. The sensors have adjustable sensitivity to avoid false alarms with pets or objects.
You’ll also be able to see live SimpliCam footage from your smartphone using the app. SimpliSafe also works with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa enabled devices to control your system with voice commands.
SimpliSafe has durable equipment and reliable services, so you feel the extra prevention and protection measures to help keep you safe. SimpliSafe’s equipment uses “heartbeats” as a built-in equipment feature to ensure that your system works properly. The heartbeats double as a regular SimpliSafe diagnostic and an extra security feature to keep your home safe. Your system will also automatically update to give you the latest privacy and security updates.
SimpliSafe’s equipment is also designed to work during a power outage with cellular backup with GSM technology using Verizon and T-Mobile’s cellular networks. Free cellular backup is included with all of Simplisafe’s monitoring plans.
As a customer, you’ll also get a 60-day money-back guarantee and a 3-year warranty to make sure you’re satisfied with your service and equipment.
Response Services and Features
If you’re considering SimpliSafe, you’ll have the choice between self- and professional monitoring. SimpliSafe has six monitoring centers offering 24/7 dispatch service and alerts to give you peace of mind. If your system is triggered, it will continuously send an alarm to SimpliSafe’s monitoring center until monitoring specialists confirm they’ve received it. If they contact you and there’s no answer, the monitoring station will immediately dispatch the police.
Best of all, SimpliSafe’s mobile app will also send you an alert if the system is triggered. If you have a SimpliCam, you’ll be able to check the live activity and save videos to playback or share with the police from the app.
SimpliSafe’s Interactive Plan costs 83 cents per day and includes mobile alerts, voice assistant commands, video dispatch and video alarm verification. Or you can get the Standard plan for 50 cents per day if you only want professional monitoring and built-in cellular connectivity.
Your SimpliSafe package will depend on your home or business’ square footage and security needs. Remember, with SimpliSafe’s wireless DIY equipment. You can easily add more equipment anytime.
The FoundationLearn more
The EssentialsLearn more
The HearthLearn more
The KnoxLearn more
The BarringtonLearn more
|The Foundation||The Essentials||The Hearth||The Knox||The Barrington||The Knox|
Equipment starts at
Pro. monitoring starts at
Home environmental monitoring
Mobile app access
SimpliSafe Video Doorbell Pro ($169)
- Features 1080p HD video
- Built with dual-sensors for advanced notifications
- Features two-way audio and video
SimpliSafe Base Station ($114.99)
- Central control point of your system
- Supports Wi-Fi and cellular connection
- Provides 24-hour battery backup
SimpliSafe Keypad ($114.99)
- Change your systems status and enter your PIN
- Awakens by touch and darkens when no activity
- SmashSafe protection for tampering
SimpliCam Indoor Camera ($99)
- Features a 120 degree diagonal field of vision
- Built-in smart detection
- Sends notifications whenever activity detected
SimpliSafe Smart Lock ($99)
- Automatic locking when your system is armed
- Mobile alerts when unlocked
- No drilling or wiring required
SimpliSafe Motion Sensor ($29.99)
- Detects activity up to 30 feet away
- Has a 90 degree field of vision
- Pet friendly for pets under 50 pounds
SimpliSafe Water Sensor ($19.99)
- Designed for easy placement near leak-prone areas
- Notifications sent via mobile app if a leak is detected
SimpliSafe Temperature Sensor ($35)
- Sounds an alarm if temperature is out of a certain range
- Alerts you when extreme temperatures are detected
SimpliSafe Siren ($59.99)
- Designed with a 105 dB alarm
- Can be mounted with adhesive backing
- Designed to work indoors or in outdoor sheltered areas
SimpliSafe Key Fob ($30)
- Easily arming and disarming with one button
- Fob also includes a panic button for emergencies
SimpliSafe Monitoring Plans
Once you’ve selected your package, you’ll need to decide whether you want self- or professional monitoring. Here’s a breakdown between SimpliSafe’s contract-free Standard and Interactive plans. We recommend upgrading to the Interactive plan, which includes popular features including smart home compatibility, mobile alerts, and unlimited camera recording and storage. The additional peace of mind you get is more than worth the extra $10 you’ll pay each month.
24/7 professional monitoring
Unlimited camera recording
30 days of secure video storage
Visual alarm verification
Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice commands
SimpliSafe Costs to Consider
SimpliSafe is a contract-free, affordable security option for homeowners and businesses. Here’s a breakdown of costs to consider.
- Equipment: SimpliSafe’s basic package starts at $160 upfront if you get the Interactive monitoring plan. It includes the security essentials, and you can always add more later. Add-on equipment ranges from $3.99 to $169.99.
- Professional Installation: SimpliSafe’s equipment is easy to self-install, but if you’d like professional monitoring, it costs $79.
- Professional Monitoring: 24/7 professional monitoring and emergency dispatching start at 50 cents per day — averaging $15.50 per month.
- Camera Recording and Storage: If you choose to add a SimpliSafe camera, you’ll get 30 days of camera storage included in the Interactive monitoring plan for up to 10 cameras. The Interactive plan costs 83 cents per day — averaging $25.73 per month.
If you’d like a SimpliCam without the system, you’ll pay $4.99 per month for SimpliSafe’s standalone camera features or $9.99 per month for two to 10 cameras.
- Home Automation: If you’d like to connect and control your smart devices, use voice commands or get mobile alerts, you’ll need the Interactive plan.
- Shipping and Technical Support: As a SimpliSafe customer, these services are free of charge to save you some extra cash.
SimpliSafe Home Security protects over 3 million American homes and is well-known for its DIY security systems. Whether you rent or own, you’re likely to find a package that fits your needs. With a SimpliSafe home security system, you’ll have access to intrusion detection, video surveillance, home automation, and more. Equipment can be financed or purchased up-front, and SimpliSafe monitoring plans range from $14.99 per month to $24.90 per month. One of the biggest perks you’ll find with SimpliSafe is that there’s no contract to sign. These features make SimpliSafe an excellent choice for customers on a budget and renters. See how SimpliSafe stacks up as one of our best home security system providers.
Want to know more about how we scored SimpliSafe? Check out our Safety Score Methodology.