Amazon Prime Day is like a modern version of those Christmas in July promotions that used to be popular before online shopping. During this annual sales event, Amazon offers steep discounts for Prime members on thousands of items. This year, Prime Day will be a two day event spanning July 15-16, 2019. Here’s what to know before you fill those shopping carts.
You Need Amazon Prime
These once-a-year discounts are exclusively for Prime members. If you’re not familiar with Prime, it’s a membership that gives Amazon shoppers extra perks: free two-day shipping, access to streaming video and more. Prime membership costs $119 per year or $12.99 per month, or $59 per year and $6.49 per month if you’re a student. Is it worth it? For frequent Amazon shoppers, the answer is a resounding yes, but consider your own buying habits and whether or not you have a tendency to buy things you don’t need when companies like Amazon make it so easy.
- If you’ve never had a Prime membership before, you are eligible for a free 30-day trial, which you can use during Prime Day. The trial does require a valid credit card, which will be automatically charged at the end of the trial period if you do not cancel beforehand. Former Prime members are not eligible for a free trial.
- If you live with a Prime member, you might be able to access their benefits through household sharing. Prime Members can go to the Amazon Household page to extend their Prime benefits to one other adult at the same address for no extra cost.
Decide What You Want Ahead Of Time
Amazon doesn’t advertise all of the specific sales in advance, so you need to do your research to identify the best deals as they arise. Decide which products and brands you’re interested in, and note their normal retail price. Beware that some brands might hawk a steep discount, when in reality the original price is overinflated. This prevents hyped-up sales tactics from getting the better of you and helps steel your resolve against poorly considered spur-of-the-moment buys.
If you plan to shop for home security, smart home or family safety products, use the following Safety.com best-of lists to guide your purchasing decisions. We expect at least some items to be discounted across all of these categories.
- Best Security Cameras
- Best Video Doorbells
- Best Smart Thermostats
- Best Smart Home Devices
- Best DIY Home Security Systems
- Best Smart Home Devices For Saving Money & Energy
In years past, Amazon has featured lots of good deals on home security and smart home products from its own family of brands. Be on the lookout for deals on Echo, Ring, Kindle and Fire devices.
Remember, You Don’t Have To Wait For Prime Day
Amazon’s domination of the online shopping space has many other retailers scrambling to be competitive and Prime Day is no exception. Many big box stores like Walmart and Target amp up their sales offerings leading up to and throughout the Prime Day festivities. And, even Amazon has been known to drop prices to record lows outside of the huge annual sales. Time is money, so if you can get a great deal right now without having to set aside time to shop during the 48-hour sale period, go for it (especially if you’re not interested in a Prime membership).
- Right now, Walmart has slashed prices on the Google Home, Google Home Mini and Google Home Max. Not to be outdone, Amazon is discounting its own smart speakers to match. Shop the Echo and Echo Dot.
- Another notable: Amazon has Amazon Assistant on your browser.
- On mobile devices, use the Amazon App to receive deal notifications and alerts.