Ring began to create DIY security equipment under the name ‘Doorbot’ to offer security cameras and motion detectors. Doorbot was later acquired by Amazon to expand their home security offers to video doorbells, security systems and the latest smart lights. Ring security cameras help protect inside and around homes with specifications and features families love, including the Ring mobile app to remotely control and connect multiple Ring devices. Each Ring camera is equipped with HD video, motion detection and two-way talk. Ring security cameras are easy to install and control using the Ring mobile app anytime, anywhere to help protect your home.
What Customers Say About Ring
Here’s an overview of Ring customer reviews to keep in mind. Customers have mixed feelings about Ring security cameras. The reviews depend on the power source, placement and use of the camera.
Top Benefits of Ring Security Cameras
- Customer service is superb: Ring customer reviews share that customer service representatives are helpful, friendly and sincere.
- Installation is fast and easy: Ring promises fast and easy security installation and they deliver, according to customers who install their own devices.
- Flexible equipment options: Ring equipment can be mixed and matched to create the type of security coverage you need for your home.
- Cloud storage: Ring offers two recording and video storage plans as an added cost.
Ring Camera Costs
Ring camera prices depend on the power source and camera type of each device. Video doorbells range from $99.99 to $349.99. Security cameras range from $59.99 to $249.99. Regardless of the equipment you choose, each comes with 1080-pixel high definition (HD) video quality and motion detection – with the most complex installation only taking 25 minutes.
Ring also offers a low-cost monthly plan to store all of your security camera footage. For $3/mo. (or $30/yr.), you can save, record and share videos with the Ring Protect Basic Plan. This plan stores videos from all of your Ring security cameras for up to 60 days, and includes a 1-year warranty that doesn’t require a contract. The Ring Protect Plus offers all coverage from the Protect Basic Plan and 24/7 professional monitoring with cellular backup for your Ring Alarm. The Ring Protect Plus plan costs $10/mo. (or $100/yr.) for all storage, additional features and 10 percent off all Ring products.
Ring Security Cameras
- Best Smart Outdoor Light
1. Ring Floodlight (Battery-Powered)Our rating
The Ring Floodlight Camera is a motion-activated floodlight and camera in one. It produces 1,800 lumens of light and features an adjustable 270-degree motion sensor to detect any activity within 30 feet. If there’s suspicious activity outside your home, Ring’s outdoor light lets you sound a 110-decibel alarm from your smartphone using the Ring app. The camera, which costs $250, is equipped with 1080p HD video, night vision and a 140-degree field of view.
Stand-out features include
- Weather-resistant outdoor light
- Detects motion within 30 feet
- Sounds a loud 110-decibel alarm remotely
- Hardwired outdoor camera floodlight
- Best Wireless Security Camera
2. Ring Stick Up CamOur rating
The Ring Stick-Up Cam is equipped with two-way audio, night vision and adjustable motion detection to reduce false alarms. The wireless version of the Ring Stick Up Cam, which costs $99.99, is battery-powered and includes one rechargeable battery pack. It has a 115-degree field of view and 1080p HD video quality. This indoor wireless security camera connects to Ring home security equipment and the Ring app for easy remote control.
Stand-out features include
- 115-degree field of view
- 1080p HD video quality
- Works with Amazon Alexa
- Connects to additional smart home and security equipment
- Equipped with two-way audio to speak with guests
- Best Smart Home Security Camera
3. Ring Spotlight CameraOur rating
The Ring Spotlight outdoor surveillance camera uses a 1080p HD video for crystal clear live footage. The battery-powered camera is $199.99 and only takes 5-10 minutes to install. With the Ring mobile app, you’ll be able to use your mobile device to trigger the camera’s siren when you detect suspicious activity outside your home. You’ll also receive instant mobile alerts to your smartphone when motion is detected.
Stand-out features include
- Includes night vision for crystal clear camera footage in the dark
- Pairs with Amazon Alexa for hands-free camera control
- Two-way audio to clearly speak to guests
- Weatherproof outdoor security camera
|$49.99||Spotlight Cam Battery, Stick Up Cam Battery|
Quick Release Battery Pack
|$29.99||Video Doorbell 2, Video Doorbell 3, Video Doorbell 3 Plus, Spotlight Cam Battery, Spotlight Cam Solar|
|$29.99||All Ring cameras|
|$24.99||Spotlight Cam Battery, Spotlight Cam Solar, Solar Panel, Super Solar Panel|
Ring Security Camera Features to Consider
Every Ring security camera has guaranteed key features to help watch over your home. Regardless of your camera choice, you’ll have the essentials. Each camera comes with the following features:
- Live-View and 1080p HD video for crystal clear live footage
- A loud 110-decibel siren to trigger the alarm and scare thieves
- Two-way audio with noise cancellation to see and speak with guests
- 1-year warranty
You also have the ability to connect as many Ring devices and smartphones together as you’d like – there’s no limit. During set-up, use the Ring app to name each security camera, and when motion is detected, you’ll receive a mobile notification specifying which security camera noticed movement. You’ll also be able to use the Ring mobile app to control each Ring security device with ease.
Ring Security Subscription Plans
- The Free plan: You can use your Ring equipment without purchasing a subscription plan.
- The Ring Basic Protect Plan: The Basic Plan is $3/mo. (or $30/yr.) and allows you to save, record and share videos.
- The Ring Protect Plan: The Protect Plus Plan is $10/mo. (or $100/yr.) and offers all coverage from the Protect Basic Plan plus 24/7 professional monitoring.
Ring Security Camera FAQs
Ring cameras can be used without purchasing one of the two subscription plans available.
Ring cameras provide on-demand live view and motion-detected recording, but not 24/7 recording. The Ring Protect Plus Plan, however, does offer 24/7 professional monitoring.
The Ring Protect Plus Plan offers more comprehensive coverage than the Basic Plan or the devices by themselves. It comes with 24/7 professional monitoring, cellular backup for the Ring Alarm, extended warranties for all devices and 10% off certain Ring products.
It is possible for Ring cameras to be hacked, but there are settings you can control within your control center for your devices to properly secure them which can help prevent hacks.