The unfortunate truth of getting packages in the mail is that sometimes they go missing. Whether they’re stolen or delivered improperly, it’s important to know what to do if this happens to you. When it comes to Amazon packages in particular, the company makes it fairly easy to get in touch and sort out the issue.
While many might think that it would be difficult to get in touch with Amazon concerning missing packages, it really is not. Amazon has a vast customer service program ready to help when you have a concern.
We’ll give you all the information you need in case your Prime Day deliveries go missing.
[ Read: Best Video Doorbell Cameras ]
What to Do if an Amazon Package Goes Missing
The process may differ depending on the provider of the product you ordered. If you ordered something directly through Amazon that was stolen, contact Amazon directly. Amazon will give you the standard instructions for checking to make sure the package wasn’t delivered elsewhere. If you’re not certain it was stolen but it was marked delivered, do the following:
- Contact the delivery carrier directly.
- Check all around your house or entryway.
- Check in with a neighbor to see if it was delivered to them or if they picked it up for you.
- Give it up to 48 extra hours. Amazon says sometimes deliveries are marked as delivered before they actually are and generally show up within 48 hours.
If you’ve done all this and either have proof that a package was stolen or are operating under the assumption that it was, now you can contact Amazon. You can easily start a chat with customer service and let them know the issue. They’ll look into it for you and hopefully get it resolved.
[ Read: Best Cheap Video Doorbell Cameras ]
What to Do if a Third-Party Amazon Package Goes Missing
The process for dealing with third-party Amazon orders is a little bit different. With products you’ve purchased from an Amazon seller, start with the same checklist. If you’ve come to the conclusion that a package was stolen, it’s time to contact the seller directly as part of Amazon’s A-Z Guarantee. You can do this from your orders page. You can’t proceed with the process until you’ve contacted a seller about the issue.
After giving them a day to respond, you can start the claim process for the missing package. Claims must be filed within 90 days of ordering. On the “Your Orders” page there should be an option to View/File Claim. Proceed through this by answering the questions and selecting that the package was not received.
At this point, you will either hear from Amazon directly or from the seller. If the seller is willing to resolve the issue, inform Amazon that you don’t need them to weigh in. If the seller isn’t being helpful, Amazon will decide whether or not to issue a refund. If your claim is denied, you can appeal it.
How to Avoid Package Theft
If package theft is an issue at your home, there are a few ways you can safeguard yourself from it. Try any of the following to keep your deliveries safer:
- Install a camera at your front door to watch for porch pirates and also to verify when things are delivered.
- Have packages delivered somewhere more secure, like to a neighbor who is always home or to your office.
- Make sure you’re home when you know a delivery is coming. This isn’t always feasible, but if you can make it work, this is a way to ensure you’ll get your packages.
- Get a lock box for deliveries. It’s like an Amazon locker but at your own home.
- Deliver to an Amazon locker. If you don’t want to get your own lock box, opt to have your Amazon packages sent to an Amazon locker nearby and pick them up at your convenience.
The Bottom Line
If your Amazon packages are stolen, contact Amazon or the seller and let them know, but only after you’ve verified that they weren’t delivered and were potentially stolen. The claim process is simple, and Amazon is there to help get the issue resolved.
Photo by Marco Quintarelli / EyeEm / Gettyimages