About Laredo, TX
Laredo, TX is a city that sits on the border of the United States and Mexico. Located in Webb County, Laredo boasts a population of more than 250,000 residents and is best characterized as a dense, suburban city. While Laredo is home to many parks and families, there are still concerning factors that residents should be aware of — especially when it comes to ensuring their homes are equipped with the best home security systems. Let’s take a closer look at some of the crime statistics that might make residents living in this Texas city think twice about their current home security strategy.
Laredo, TX Crime Stats
According to data collected in 2018 by the FBI, Laredo reported over 7,000 crime incidents during the calendar year. In fact, Laredo sees 6% more total crime than the current national average and 10% more property crime than the national average. That said, violent crimes are significantly lower than other cities in the country — 11% lower to be exact. Some of the most noteworthy crime statistics for Laredo include
- Larceny/Theft: 5,506
- Burglary: 692
- Aggravated Assault: 594
- Motor Vehicle Theft: 169
- Robbery: 141
- Best for Professional Monitoring
Our Take on Brinks Home Security
Like ADT, Brinks has earned top ratings for customer service, monitoring and top-notch equipment. But for now Brinks is focused on preventing intrusions, not environmental monitoring.
★ Recommended Plan
- 2-year equipment warranty
- Impressive industry experience and reputation
- Flexible installation options
- No equipment for environmental monitoring
- Touchscreen control panel not available in all packages
- Lengthy contracts for some equipment packages
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended package: Barrington
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Other Local Providers
Some of Laredo’s other home security providers include the following:
- The Best Alarm Company: In partnership with United Central Control, The Best Alarm Company provides home security monitoring without a contractual obligation for Laredo residents.
- SOLO Security Systems: SOLO Security Systems provides a broad range of security solutions for Texans.
- M1 Alarm: M1 Alarm offers both residential and commercial-grade security and monitoring services starting at just $25/month.
Additional Areas Covered
The following towns are also covered by the providers listed in this article:
- City Center
- Pueblo Nuevo
- Ranchettes Colonia
- San Carlos Number 1 Colonia
- San Dario Ave
- W Saunders St
- Mines Rd
- Logan Ave
- San Ignacio Ave
- Moon Tract Ln
Due to the number of larceny/theft crimes that occur in Laredo, the most important features homeowners need in their security systems are door and window alarms and video recording capabilities.
SimpliSafe™ tops the list as the least expensive home security provider. However, Link Interactive® is a strong second contender due to their broad range of devices and services included in their monthly packages.
Each of the providers listed in this article offers professional installation. If you’re looking for exclusively professional installation, we recommend Vivant as they only offer professional installation.
Yes — nearly all home security providers will require a contract for service; however, terms vary depending on the provider you choose. Be sure to carefully review each provider’s contract terms before agreeing to a specific service.
The provider with the most comprehensive and advanced smart home devices is Vivant. Brinks and Link Interactive also offer smart home products to their customers.