If you’re on the hunt for a wireless security camera that’s easy to self-install, check out the latest offering from Arlo. The Arlo Pro 3 is an update on the popular Pro 2 model (which earned a spot on our roundup of the best home security cameras) and it appears to have a few industry-leading specs and features.
Best New Features on the Arlo Pro 3
Here are a couple of ways that the Arlo Pro 3 camera improves upon its predecessor and gives its competitors in the wireless security camera space a run for their money.
- 2K HDR resolution. The Pro 2 and most other wireless cameras max out at 1080p resolution, but the Pro 3 captures footage at 2560 x 1440 pixels. This should translate into clearer image quality.
- Wide angle lens with 160-degree field of view. This is a 30-degree improvement over the last generation model, and beats out many cameras from companies like Ring, Nest and Lorex.
- Color night vision. Night vision improvements should help make grainy, black-and-white night vision a thing of the past.
- Built-in spotlight and siren. You can activate this spotlight manually or set it to turn on when motion is detected. You can also choose to set the siren to a motion detector, to potentially scare off any would-be intruders.
- Improvements to two-way communication. Arlo says its built-in microphone and speaker have been refined to make remote conversations come through more clearly.
Each Pro 3 system sold through Arlo also comes with a three-month sample trial of Arlo Smart, the company’s artificial intelligence-based app service that enables smart detection of people, vehicles, animals and other objects.
On top of these updates, the Arlo Pro 3 retains many of the benefits of its older model. It’s waterproof for indoor/outdoor use, easy to install with an included magnetic or screw mount, and has a rechargeable, long-lasting battery if you don’t want to use the power cable.
Is the Arlo Pro 3 Camera System Right For You?
Arlo offers do-it-yourself systems that focus on cameras. If you want a full home security system where professionals monitor and respond to your home’s alarms, you’d probably be better off with a monitored home security system customized for your priorities.
If you only want security cameras, the Pro 3 camera starts at $199 each. This is a competitive price for these specs and features. However, take note that the Arlo Pro 3 does require the use of base unit (called the Smart Hub) in order to work, unlike some other wireless cameras out there. Smart Hubs are included with Arlo packages that have two or more cameras. A two-camera system with a Smart Hub is $499 through Arlo.com.