Who’s monitoring your alarm? The right home security system puts a professional response team on your side.
Dry chemical vs. multipurpose fire extinguishers
Every fire extinguisher is different, and they don’t all fight the same types of fires. There are two popular types of fire extinguishers that most homeowners purchase. Multipurpose fire extinguishers often fight Class A, B and C fires. The second most popular type is a Dry Chemical fire extinguisher that only fights Class B and C fires. Here’s a quick guide to understanding what the different fire classes mean before buying a fire extinguisher.
- Class A – Involve combustibles such as wood, trash or paper
- Class B – Liquid fires that are spread by gas, oil or other flammable liquids
- Class C – Spread by electricity or electrical equipment
- Class D – Metals that are flammable including magnesium, titanium or aluminum
- Class K – Fires that stem from cooking oils and fats
Reasons to buy a fire extinguisher for your home
- Environment-friendly – Fire extinguishers have the power to combat fires which can reduce spreading harmful chemicals into the environment.
- Fire control – With the right extinguisher fitting a fire, you may be able to put it out or control it enough to get to safety.
- Home fire safety – A home fire extinguisher is the first step to fire safety preparedness. With a multipurpose fire extinguisher fighting the right fire, it might save your life.
As you prepare your home for fire safety, remember to pick the products that are best for your home. Follow our fire extinguisher safety tips and refer back to our guide along your journey to better home fire preparedness. To compare all of the best fire extinguisher options, browse Amazon’s best selling fire extinguishers or get started with one of our top five picks below.