Burglar Alarm Systems
Of the more than two million burglaries in the U.S each year, 70 percent are residential, according to the most recent FBI estimates. Burglar alarm monitoring is a known burglary deterrent, protecting families and property against would-be and active home intruders. In fact, an important study done by Rutgers University School of Criminal Justice found that not only does residential burglar alarm monitoring protect individual homes, it decreases crime in entire neighborhoods, resulting in fewer burglary incidents in neighborhoods with more densely installed alarm systems.
Top 5 Highest Rated Burglar Alarm Systems
1. Simplisafe2 Wireless Home Security System 8-piece Plus Package
The SimpliSafe Wireless Home Alarm System is both a very highly rated and an extremely popular choice among homeowners who want a simple but full home alarm system that is easy to install. This wireless alarm system can be installed in your home on your own in under an hour and does not require a long-term commitment for a home monitoring service, though the service itself is inexpensive and offers great customer service.
2. Fortress Security Store (TM) S02-A Wireless Home Security Alarm System
Fortress is a well-known brand in wireless home security and rightfully so. This model has some of most consistently positive feedback among homeowners, with features such as a fully programmable main unit and sensors, passive motion sensors, an auto-dialer function, and a loud, 110dB alarm that alerts neighbors and deters potential intruders.
3. PiSector 2-in-1 Cellular Dual Network Wireless Security Alarm System
This burglar alarm system is a comprehensive solution for homeowners who want protection against burglars, as well as other typical home emergencies. This system provides a loud wireless indoor siren that alerts neighbors to deters potential intruders, an easy-to-hide console so an intruder cannot find it and smash it, and an option to have an Auto-Dial-out and/or Auto-emergency SMS alert in case of burglary, fire, flood, and SOS.
4. Home Security Burglar Alarm System Cell Phone Dialer
This burglar alarm system is suitable for homeowners who want to implement a straightforward and efficient burglar alarm system without any fuss, but without sacrificing any of the safety measures. This device can call up to 3 people when a burglar enters and features Infrared system that senses any human motion up to 20 feet, and a loud 125 decibel alarm to alert neighbors and deter intruders.
5. Swann Wireless Home Alarm System
The Swann Home Alarm System can fully cover the burglar security needs of most small homes and therefore is ideal for living situations such as an apartment, condominium, trailer, cottage, cabin, or an extended hotel stay. It is easy to install and includes 2 wireless controls for arming and disarming alarm, small enough to carry on keyring. An added benefit of this system is that it is a closed system, which means you maintain privacy from security companies and pay no monthly fees.
Components of Burglar Alarm Systems
A basic burglar alarm, which may be either hard-wired or wireless, has three components:
- Central control panel is alerted when detection devices are triggered, and will either sound the alarm or notify the monitoring service. This is also used to arm and disarm the alarm or to call police if an intruder enters the home.
- Detection devices, when armed, sense any disturbance to their guard function. If disturbed, the device triggers the alarm, which notifies the monitoring service.
- Alarm or siren sound when a detection device triggers the alarm. (This is not necessary with a monitoring service.)
Burglar Alarm Sensor Types
- Perimeter sensors, magnetic contacts and mechanical switches are all options to be installed on doors, windows or other outside openings. When the door or window is opened, the sensors detect the disturbance and activate the alarm.
- Glass-break sensors monitor windows and activate the alarm by sensing the sound or vibration of broken glass.
- Interior motion sensors are used to sense the entry of an intruder using a variety of different operations.
- Passive infrared sensors detect when a heat source crosses a protected boundary in the home.
- Photoelectric sensors signal the alarm when and infrared light beam is broken.
- Ultrasonic sensors rely on sound energy to protect an area—an intruder will change the energy pattern, which signals the alarm.
- Microwave sensors create an electronic field in the protected area, which notes movement and sets off the alarm.
- Audio detectors use microphones programmed to set off the alarm at a certain amount of noise in a specified period of time.
How to Choose a Burglar Alarm Monitoring System or Company
Finding the right system and monitoring service to secure and protect your home against intrusion and burglary requires a bit of legwork and planning, but the peace of mind that results is more than worth it.
- Research at least 3-4 home alarm companies to ensure they are reputable.
- Consult with each company to determine what’s right for your family and how they can meet your needs.
- Choose a system that’s easy to use for every family member.
- Make sure the system is visible to deter intruders.