A full security system may be the peace of mind you and your loved ones need
Baby Crib Safety Tips
To make sure your little one sleeps safely in whichever baby crib you choose, there are a few best practices to follow.
- Remember to use a firm crib mattress. A firm, inner coil crib mattress is best for your baby until they reach the toddler stages. Softer, cushion-like sleep surfaces for infants may lead to suffocation due to the mattress forming to your baby’s body and face.
- Use the ‘Two-Finger Test.’ Place two fingers in between the mattress and the crib. If you can fit more than two fingers in the space, it increases the risk of the legs, arms and head getting stuck in the unsafe space.
- Don’t keep loose items in the crib. Keep the baby crib free of loose items including toys, pillows and blankets. Only use fitted sheets and blankets to avoid suffocation and choking hazards in the crib.
- Place the baby on his or her back to sleep. Place the baby in the crib only on their back. Also, avoid sleep positioners that keep your baby in one position while sleeping to reduce the risk of suffocation. Any other position can increase the risk of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS).
- Use a pacifier. Giving your baby a pacifier when placing them in the crib to sleep has been proven to reduce the risk of SIDS. During sleep time, avoid attaching the pacifier to the baby’s clothing to reduce the risk of choking.
Parents have plenty of crib options to choose from. They range in price, design, color and convertibility. With many choices to choose from, remember the first priority is safety. When shopping, keep safety standards and crib materials top of mind. If you want to check out more options try Amazon’s best selling baby cribs.