Cove vs. Brinks Home Security
- Best for Instant Text Alerts
Cove SecurityOur rating7.2Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on Cove Security:
Although Cove Security launched just a couple of years ago, it offers some unique perks, such as the ability to completely avoid a contract by paying for equipment upfront. Another major selling point is Cove’s ease of installation.
★ Recommended plan: Build your own
- Affordable monitoring and equipment
- Installation takes about half an hour
- 60-day money-back guarantee
- Limited equipment selection
- Does not connect to Z-Wave equipment
- Smartphone app only available with the most expensive monitoring package
- Best for Professional Monitoring
Brinks Home SecurityOur rating9.3Starting at$29.99/mo
Our Take on Brinks Home Security
Like ADT, Brinks has earned top ratings for customer service, monitoring and top-notch equipment. But for now Brinks is focused on preventing intrusions, not environmental monitoring.
★ Recommended Plan
- 2-year equipment warranty
- Impressive industry experience and reputation
- Flexible installation options
- No equipment for environmental monitoring
- Touchscreen control panel not available in all packages
- Lengthy contracts for some equipment packages
Brinks Home Security
|30 days||60 days|
|DIY with a professional option||DIY|
|2-year equipment warranty||1 year (lifetime with Plus monitoring)|
Frequently Asked Questions About Cove and Brinks
Cove doesn’t offer traditional home security system packages. Instead, you can purchase only the devices and features you need. Brinks has four home security packages, all of which include motion detection, professional monitoring and mobile app access. Higher-tier packages include security cameras and smart home devices.
Brinks monitoring plans start at $19 a month for the Nest Secure, which also requires a three-year contract. Its other plans range from $29–$39 per month and also include a 36-month contract. Cove has two plans that cost $14.99 a month with a contract and between $25-$35 a month without a contract.
Both Brinks and Cove require professional monitoring for their alarm systems to fully function. If you pay for your equipment up front and choose a month-to-month option, you can cancel your monitoring at any time, but you won’t have mobile app access so you won’t be able to effectively self-monitor your system.
Both Brinks or Cove would be a good choice for renters, because they offer wireless equipment, DIY installation, and month-to-month monitoring plans with easy cancellation. All of these features make it easy for you to take your system with you if you have to move.