Safety.com’s Top 3 Smart Outlets
ADT Smart Plug
TP-Link Smart WiFi Plug
Amazon Smart Plug
Understanding smart plug options before buying
Indoor vs. outdoor smart plugs
Not every smart outlet should be installed outdoors as they may not be weather resistant. If you want an outlet you can use outside, look for smart outdoor plugs that can withstand rain, moisture and extreme heat for safe use. Smart outlets include features similar to regular outlets and add the benefit of controlling when appliances are on and for how long.
Not every home appliance is going to work using a smart home outlet. It all depends on the power switch. Your device may have a manual or electronic button to turn the appliance on and off If you’re connecting an appliance with an electronic switch, but the device is powered off, you may have to press the button before the outlet can send power. Depending on the appliance this may limit the control features and benefits that smart outlets offer. It’s not a make-or-break buying factor, but the key is to know what you’ll be using the smart outlet for.
Smart home hub
When considering a smart outlet, double check the installation requirements. Some smart home outlets require a smart home hub to control plugged in devices. The smart outlet may require a Z-wave hub to wirelessly send power to the outlet and connect it to other smart home appliances. Keep in mind that most smart home hubs are sold separately.
How to make the most of your smart home outlet
Set schedules – Want to start your coffee or turn on lights without getting out of bed? Simply set schedules to control when your devices turn on and off using your smart outlet. When setting routines to use your home’s gadgets, your devices will automatically turn on and off at your preferred times.
Use timers – Smart plugs give peace of mind with the power to automatically turn devices off that may have accidentally be left on. The ‘Countdown’ timer automatically turns off your smart outlet’s plugged in devices after a designated time. Even better, when you’re out of town and want to deter neighbors, smart plugs include ‘Away’ timers to turn your lights on and off as if you were home.
Smartphone control – Today’s smart plugs allow homeowners to remotely control their home’s devices using their smartphone. Smart plugs that are connected to Wi-Fi, Bluetooth or a Z-wave smart home hub give families that convenience. Simply download the smart outlet’s app, follow the connection instructions, and you’ll be able to turn lights off using the mobile app – even when you’re on the go.
Power usage monitoring – Smart outlet features allow you to know exactly when your devices are on or off, with the added bonus of energy reporting for your home’s appliances. Some smart home outlet providers include regular reporting for gadgets that are plugged into the outlet. Most reports include historical energy data and the appliance power usage to better monitor how much energy your home is consuming.
15 Best Smart Plugs
Best of the Best Smart Outlets
1. ADT Smart Plug
The ADT Smart Switch is a smart outlet designed to remotely control any home appliance with ease. Use Amazon Alexa’s voice commands to turn lights on or off. Or control appliances in the smart home outlet using the ADT Pulse® mobile app when you’re on the go.
- Works with all light bulbs and all standard small home appliances
- Compact design to use both outlets while using the smart outlet
- Use the smart outlet to schedule light timers using the ADT Pulse® mobile app
Best Voice Enabled Smart Outlet
3. Amazon Smart Plug
The Amazon Smart Plug adds voice control and smart tech to any traditional outlet. This indoor smart home outlet works with Amazon Alexa to follow voice commands to handle appliances hands-free. Use Alexa or the mobile app to quickly turn our lights on or off on your cue.
- Use Alexa to create customizable routines for your appliances that automatically turn them on or off on your command
- Get the power and control of a smart home without needing a smart home hub
- Easily install the smart home outlet by plugging it into a standard wall outlet and setting up through the Alexa app
4. Samsung SmartThings Outlet
This smart home outlet is a ZigBee repeater to broaden the range of your smart home Zigbee smart hub connected devices. The outlet has the power to automatically turn your appliances off by using your smartphone and the SmartThings Hub for remote control.
- Automatically receive alerts to your smartphone when your home gadgets are left on
- Turn your favorite home appliances on and off using your smartphone
- Schedule lights to come on when you arrive home
5. iClever Smart Power Strip
This portable, smart outlet includes four USB and three AC outlet ports to quickly power up your devices. The small but mighty power strip has 1250 watts to power up your phone and other home devices quickly. This outlet is protected against short circuits and extreme temperatures to provide safe and speedy powering.
- Includes 5-volt USB charging ports to with built-in smart technology to charge your iPhone and other USB devices quickly
- Fireproof design to handle heat up to 750-degree Celsius
- Dual power on and off switches to control the outlets you want to use
6. ESICOO Smart Plug
The ESICOO smart home outlet powers your home devices using a 2.4Ghz Wi-Fi network connection – no smart hub required. You’ll have the power to create custom schedules to turn your appliances on and off for energy efficiency when you’re away.
- Pairs with Amazon Alexa and the Google Home to control the smart outlet home devices using hands-free voice commands
- Turn your home air conditioner and other large home devices on and off using the Smart Life mobile app’s timer feature
- Compact smart outlet design to keep your extra wall outlet free to use
7. Hive Smart Outlet
Use the Hive mobile app to control your home in your hands using your mobile device. Save energy and money by turning off your smart outlet’s appliance from your smartphone. The Hive Active Plug also includes a number of automatic actions for convenient control of your home.
- Works with If This Then That (FTTT), Google Home and Amazon Alexa smart home devices to conveniently control your home’s energy efficiency
- Pairs with other Hive safety and smart home gadgets to have peace of mind when you’re on the go
- Create Hive Actions for automatic actions from your smart home including turning on the air during summer months when you come home
8. Gosund Smart Plug Outlet
Gosund’s smart outlet uses 1100 watts to power your home’s small appliances and controls them using popular voice assistants. Turn off your light, iron or fan using the Gosund’s mobile app to save on your electricity bill, or for peace of mind for those times you may forget.
- Enable the skill, ‘Smart Life’ using Amazon Alexa or Google Home to control devices plugged into your smart outlet using voice commands
- Use the Smart Life mobile app to manage multiple home appliances on the go via smartphone
- Set schedules to turn your devices off to save energy while you’re away
9. Etekcity WiFi Smart Plug
This smart home outlet helps keep your kids on schedule by automatically scheduling when to turn off the TV or lights. You’ll even be able to view energy reports for your smart outlet’s home devices to see which home appliances are costing you the most on your electricity bill.
- Track your smart outlet’s power usage and review usage through the VeSync mobile app
- Connect the smart outlet to your home’s Wi-Fi network without worrying about smart hubs to manage your outlet or connect devices
- Turn on appliances when you’re on your way home using the VeSync app and your smartphone
10. Insteon Smart Plug
Control this smart home outlet using your smartphone or your voice. You’ll have the power to turn off lamps and other home appliances even when you’re away. The smart outlet holds power up to 1800 watts – more than most smart home outlets.
- Connect the smart outlet to other Insteon home devices for convenient control of your home
- Holds up to 1800 watts of electricity to power your devices from your smart outlet
- Uses the Insteon Hub to control your smart outlet’s devices and set schedules for your outlets to conveniently save energy
11. Geeni Smart Plug
This smart home outlet allows you to easily turn on your lamp or music on your way home using the Geeni mobile app. And while you’re handling chores around the house, turn on other devices using voice commands from Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant or Microsoft Cortana hands-free.
- Control the Geeni smart lock anytime, anywhere using the Geeni mobile app
- Allow other family members to control the smart outlet using your mobile device
- Built-in Wi-Fi to easily control the smart outlet and it’s devices anywhere in your home
12. GE Smart Outlet
This smart home outlet includes one smart outlet and one standard AC outlet. The outlet replaces your traditional wall outlet to conveniently control your home’s small appliances and lights. Just use voice control and your mobile device in the home or when you’re away.
- Compatible with Amazon Alexa for hands-free voice control
- Works seamlessly with all popular light bulbs including LED, CFL, Halogen and more
- Pairs with smart Z-wave home hubs including SmartThings and ADT Pulse® for smart home use
13. Eve Smart Plug
The Eve Energy smart home outlet can be controlled using Siri’s voice commands or your smart home hub for quick and easy control. And the outlet automatically creates energy reports to keep you up to speed on your home’s energy consumption and which appliances are costing the most to use.
- Pairs with Apple HomeKit to easily control your smart outlet’s devices and other smart home appliances through one hub
- Ability to activate the smart outlet’s child lock to protect children from tampering with the outlet or home appliance
- Set automated power schedules to control your lights, coffeemaker and more for better convenience and just in case you forget
14. Wemo Smart Plug
The Wemo Mini smart outlet allows you to control your home’s devices using voice assistants or the Wemo mobile app. With the click of a button, you can turn off appliances while you’re away. The smart home outlet doesn’t require a smart home hub for easy, convenient energy efficiency.
- Features an ‘Away Mode’ to randomly turn your lights on and off to make it look like someone’s home
- Connects with the Nest Thermostat to automatically control your home’s temperature
- Compact design to fit into a standard wall outlet without blocking other plugs
15. iDevices Smart Plug
The iDevices Switch gives homeowners the ability to control the home’s routine by scheduling when smart outlet’s gadgets turn on and off using a smartphone. The small, compact design includes an LED night light to be a path light when loved ones are sleeping.
- Use the ‘Scene’ feature to control multiple home gadgets at once using the iDevices Connected mobile app
- Easily track your home’s energy usage via your smartphone to monitor the energy of your smart outlet’s devices
- Pairs with the Apple HomeKit and popular voice assistants for convenient control of your home’s energy when you’re away
Viewing 10 of 15 products
Smart plug FAQs
What is a smart outlet?
A smart outlet is a plug that is simply plugging into your existing wall outlet to control your home’s appliances using a smartphone or voice commands. Just plug your favorite home gadget into the smart outlet and control it without ever manually hitting the switch. Some smart outlets are wired into your home’s electricity to replace your standard outlet but often function the same way.
How much power do smart home outlets give?
Most smart outlets are designed to power small home appliances such as lamps or kitchen appliances. The watts used depends on the home device, and the smart outlet power can vary. For instance, the Wemo mini smart outlet can handle space heaters and air conditioners with ease. On the other hand, the ADT Smart Switch can hold 120-volts of power – enough to connect a standard refrigerator. Double check the watts or volts of the smart outlet to make sure it’s enough for your home devices.
How do I control home appliances using a smart outlet?
Once you’ve installed your smart outlet in your wall, you’ll control the rest using a few options. Some smart outlets pair with smart home automation products and voice assistants to turn off lights hands-free. Most smart outlets are controlled using a mobile app. You’ll be able to schedule the time your music comes on or even turn off your kid’s TV without touching the switch.
The benefits of smart outlets
Your smart outlet is designed to save you energy when you’re away. Smart outlets offer many features to control the power of your home appliances such as remote control, scheduling and timers. Today’s smart home outlets even allow you to track your energy using the mobile app so you’ll always know how much energy you’re using without guessing.
Setting the right timers to turn devices on or off could save you money on your electricity bill. Some smart plugs can determine if a home appliance isn’t in use to automatically turn off. Shutting off idle home appliances can decrease the bill and ultimately pay for your home’s smart plugs with the savings.
Smart home compatibility
If you’re looking into building a smart home with multiple devices, smart plugs are one of the perfect ways to start. Smart home outlets often include voice commands for hands-free control and monitoring through the smart outlet’s mobile app.
Smart outlets are the most affordable way to start saving on your home’s electricity today. With so many options to consider, you have the right information to pick the perfect option for your home. If you want to check out all the options, see Amazon’s best selling smart outlets for a full list. And don’t forget to check out our top five suggestions.