Safety.com’s Top 3 Smart Light Bulbs
ADT Smart Light Bulb
Philips Hue Smart Bulb Starter Kit
Flux Bluetooth LED Smart Bulb
Understanding the different types of smart lights
Indoor vs. outdoor smart light bulbs
Before buying smart lights, make sure they’re designed for your intended use. Not all smart lights are designed to withstand water, extreme heat, debris or moisture. Even with indoor lights, be aware of the suggested temperatures as some indoor lights may not be best for bathrooms or other areas that retain moisture or heat. Most importantly, before placing smart lights outside make sure they’re weatherproof for the best use.
Wi-Fi vs. Bluetooth smart light bulbs
Wi-Fi connected smart light bulbs are often connected using a 2.45GhZ Internet connection. Smart lights that rely on Wi-Fi connectivity are set-up can be controlled anywhere there’s a network connection for your convenience. On the other hand, Bluetooth smart lights are set up and controlled using your smartphone’s Bluetooth connection. You’ll be able to control the light bulb using the smart light bulb’s mobile app, but once you’re away from home you won’t be able to control the lights considering that you’ll be out of your Bluetooth range.
CFL vs. LED light bulbs
Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFL) are energy-efficient lights that last up to 15,000 hours. CFL lights are the next alternative to traditional incandescent light bulbs. They’re more affordable, but less efficient than Light Emitting Diode (LED) lights. LED light bulbs are known to remain cool and last longer – at least 40,000 hours. Although they’re a little more expensive than CFL bulbs, they’re proven to be worth the cost. Most smart light bulbs are LED to maximize energy-efficiency.
Factors to consider before buying smart lights
Before buying a smart light bulb, make sure it fits the light fixture. Most traditional light fixtures use a standard A19 bulb. A19 is the most common shape of light bulbs for lamps. While most smart light bulbs are this size, you’ll want to double check. It’s also important to keep in mind that smart lights cannot be installed for every home light fixture. Most times, smart light bulbs are used on lamps. Before buying smart lights, review the ‘Compatibility’ or ‘Details’ section of the packaging to be sure.
Smart light bulb watts
Smart light bulbs are designed to give off the same amount of light using a fraction of the power. For example, some smart light bulbs use only 9 watts to shine light as powerful as a 60 watt light bulb. You’ll want to look check the wattage to see how much power you could save.
Some smart light bulbs must be connected to a smart home hub for the smart features to work. Oftentimes, the hub is sold separately. If you’re looking into a smart light that requires a hub, you’ll want to make sure the hub connects to other smart home gadgets to build your smarthome. For example, if you’re looking into the Philips Hue White Ambiance Smart Bulb Starter Kit, you can pair it to Samsung SmartThings hub to control security cameras, door locks and more using one system.
Best Smart Light Bulb
1. ADT Smart Light Bulb
The ADT Smart Light Bulb connects to a smart home Z-wave hub. It shines 750 lumens up to 150 feet of view. Connect ADT’s smart lights using the ADT mobile app to dim, set an automatic schedule and turn off lights using the mobile app. Get a full ADT monitored system to connect your smart light bulb and other ADT home security gadgets for a smart, safe home.
- Create schedules to automatically turn lights on and off using the ADT mobile app
- Control the smart light bulb’s built-in dimmer to lower lights even if your lamp or fixture doesn’t have a dimmer
- Works in moist locations and in temperatures ranging from 32 to 104-degrees Fahrenheit
Best LED Smart Light Bulb
2. Philips Hue Smart Bulb Starter Kit
The popular smart light kit includes pre-set lighting options including reading, relaxing or energizing. The Philips Hue Smart Bulb system uses the Hue Bridge to pair with popular smart home gadgets including Nest, SmartThings and the Apple HomeKit. The kit includes two smart light bulbs and the ability to connect up to 50 more for a lighting system that can be controlled using your smartphone.
- Works with Amazon Alexa to conveniently control your home’s lighting hands-free using voice commands/li>
- Includes a starter kit of four smart light bulbs and the Philips Hue Bridge to kickstart a smart home lighting system/li>
- Illuminates over 50,000 shades of white to shine warmer or cooler toned light whether reading or resting to shine the perfect hue for your home
Best Multi-Color Smart Light Bulb
3. Flux Bluetooth LED Smart Bulb
Flux’s smart light bulb can shine 16 million different colors to illuminate the color from your lamp that you choose when hosting guests using the Flux Bluetooth mobile app. This smart light can be used throughout the home for wake-up lighting or as a dim night light in any room. It can be controlled like a standard light bulb by using a switch, or by using your smartphone without connecting to a smart home hub.
- Uses Bluetooth to sync to your smart speaker to sync lighting to your favorite tunes
- Customize the smart light’s color and illumination using the Flux Bluetooth mobile app for home lighting to match your mood
- Schedule lights to turn and off when you’re away to make it look like you’re home
4. Vivint SmartHome Philips Hue Smart Light
Vivint’s smart light bulb pairs with Philips Hue to control your home’s lights. Control these lights with voice commands to Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant to turn on the lights hands-free while cooking or cleaning. Set up lighting groups to coordinate your light’s actions using the mobile app.
- Use the Vivint SkyControl Panel or Vivint Smart Home mobile app to turn off lights and manage your monitored security system with ease
- Connect your smart light bulbs to your security system worry-free with professional installation from Vivint’s Smart Home Pros
- Set custom rules to adjust lights on or off when you’re away to deter burglars
5. eufy Lumos Smart Bulb
The eufy smart light bulb is designed to be energy-efficient by shining up to 60W, while using only 9 watts to illuminate. Controlling this smart light bulb is easy with the EufyHome mobile app, Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa. Simply use your smartphone to control brightness and program light schedules even when you’re away from home.
- Manage the smart light’s dimness and brightness using your smartphone or voice assistant commands
- Control the smart light bulb anywhere that has an Internet connection using the EufyHome mobile app
- Schedule up to ten smart light bulbs to turn on or off automatically
6. LIFX Wi-Fi Smart Led Light Bulb
This Energy STAR compliant smart light bulb only uses 8 watts to illuminate light as bright as 50 watts. This indoor smart light bulb’s compact design shines natural, warm light using 650 lumens. It can be dimmed using your voice command to Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant or the mobile app.
- Uses a smart lighting hub to control your home’s lighting from anywhere with a Wi-Fi connection
- Works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant to control your home’s lighting using voice commands
- Lasts up to eight years at an average use of three hours per day
7. Hive LED Light Bulb
The Hive LED smart bulb is designed to automatically illuminate your home without flipping a light switch. Even when you’re away, Hive’s ‘Mimic Mode’ will turn lights on and off automatically to make it look like you’re home. With the Hive mobile app, you’ll be able to connect the smart light bulb and other Hive smart home gadgets for a connected home that can be controlled from your smartphone.
- Automatically turn lights on or off anytime, anywhere using the Hive mobile app
- Pairs with Amazon Alexa and the Hive Hub to control your lamps and light fixtures hands-free
- Create customizable actions that control all of your Hive smart home devices to automate lighting scenarios in your home
8. Frontpoint Smart Light Bulb
Frontpoint’s smart light bulb is easy to customize using your smartphone. Use the Frontpoint mobile app to turn lights on or off. You’ll even have the ability to dim lights remotely when you’re away. Connect these smart light bulbs to your Frontpoint monitored home security system for an interconnected safe, smart home.
- Customize your lamp and light fixture setting to turn on and off using the Frontpoint mobile app
- Energy efficient design to shine 60 watts while only using 9 watts
- Connects to other Frontpoint home security gadgets for a safe, smart home
9. Cree Smart Light Bulb
Control the Cree LED smart light bulb easily using your smartphone. Cree’s energy-efficient light bulb can save over $127 annually in energy. And it’s low energy design gives it a lifespan of over 22 years. With the Cree Connected LED bulb, you’ll have the power to schedule your lights, dim or brighten from your smartphone even when you’re away.
- Pairs with most Z-wave smart home hubs for seamless automation with multiple smart home gadgets
- Lasts up to 22 years (or 25,000 hours) for a longer than average light bulb light span
- Includes a 3-year warranty
10. Sengled Smart LED Bulb
The Sengled indoor Wi-Fi light bulb illuminates a soft white light. Control your light fixtures and lamps using the SmartThings and Wink smart home hub. You’ll be able to dim, brighten and schedule your home’s lights from your smartphone using the Sengel Home mobile app, Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant.
- Create a connected smart hub by pairing the smart light bulb to a smart hub
- Use the Sengled Home mobile app to track your home’s energy on the go
- Use voice assistants to dim and brighten up to 64 Sengled smart lights hands-free
12. Philips Hue Smart Bulb
The Philips Hue illuminates both soft white and a range of colors to match your home’s mood. Set scenes for your party or dim the lights for dinner using voice commands or the Philips Hue Bridge smart light hub. Set the lights to be relaxing, energizing or reading using your smartphone and the Hue mobile app to control your lights with ease.
- Select from over 16 million colors to control your home’s mood and lighting
- Connects to the Philips Hue Bridge to dim and warm your home’s lighting for convenient control
- Pair your smart light bulb with Google Home and the Apple HomeKit to maximize the use of your smart home gadgets
13. WiZ Smart Light Bulbs
This smart light bulb pairs with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for hands-free convenient control of your lamps and light fixtures. This Wi-Fi light bulb allows you to turn your lights on or off using the WIZ remote or the mobile app without needing a smart home hub.
- Uses a built-in 32-bit chip that automatically connects to the cloud for regular updates without needing a hub
- Illuminates over 16 million colors and 64,000 shades of white to illuminate warm lights for resting, bright lights for reading or any color you choose when hosting guests
- Control your smart light only using a Wi-Fi connection even when you’re away from home
14. GE Link Smart LED Light Bulb
This GE indoor smart light bulb illuminates soft white lighting and lasts over 22 years, and is estimated to cost only $1.45 annually in energy. This energy-efficient smart light bulb connects to Zigbee smart home hubs to turn lights on and off even when you’re away using GE’s mobile app.
- Uses Amazon Alexa and a smart home hub to dim your lamp or light fixture using hands-free voice commands
- Pairs with most popular smart home hubs include SmartThings and the Amazon Echo for lights that connect to other smart home gadgets
- Control your lights anytime, anywhere using the GE mobile app for your convenience
15. Sylvania LED Bulb
The Sylvania smart light bulb uses Bluetooth to connect and control your lamps and light fixtures with ease. This smart light connects to Apple HomeKit for Siri voice commands and easy installation from your iPhone or iPad. This smart light illuminates over 16 million colors and various white shades for warm or cool lighting to fit each room.
- Illuminates brightness equivalent to 60 watts while only using 10 watts
- Ask Siri to turn on lights or dim them using voice commands for hands-free control
- Choose from millions of colors and various dimming options to illuminate your home your way using your smartphone
Viewing 10 of 15 products
Smart light bulb FAQs
What is a smart light bulb?
What features should I look for in a smart light bulb?
What’s the best lighting for a smart light bulb?
Benefits of buying energy-efficient smart lights
Most smart lights have a longer lifespan than standard light bulbs. The traditional light bulb lasts only up to 2,000 hours. These can drive up costs as they need to be replaced more frequently. On the other hand, energy-efficient smart light bulbs last over 20 years or upwards of 25,000 hours.
Looking for ways to reduce your energy bill? Start with energy-efficient smart lights. The Department of Energy also reports that energy-efficient designed light bulbs use 25 to 80 percent less energy.
Smart light bulbs give you the control you needed to reduce your light bill. With smart lights, you’ll be able to use your smartphone and the provider’s app to turn lights on and off. Even better, you’ll be able to schedule when lights off just in case you forget.
Smart lights are the easiest way to save energy and money hassle-free. Don’t forget to consider your home’s factors, and the special features you’ll need to make the most of your smart light bulb for years to come. Want to browse all of the best options? Check out Amazon’s best selling smart light bulbs for an all-encompassing list. Check out our top five to get started today.