Safety.com’s Top 3 Robot Vacuums
iRobot Roomba 675 Robot Vacuum
eufy Boost IQ RoboVac
ECOVACS DEEBOT Robot Vacuum
Factors to consider before buying a robot vacuum
The biggest factor to consider is how well your robot vacuum will clean your floor for you. You’ll want to look for vacuums that have multiple brushes to clean without being too harsh to damage floors. You’ll also want several suctions to pick up any dirt and debris – big or small. Lastly, look for a vacuum less than three inches tall that can reach tough spaces like under your couch or dresser.
You’ll want to evaluate the size of your home before buying a robot vacuum. According to Business Insider, most robot vacuums clean best in spaces ranging from 800-1,200 square feet. If you have a smaller home or apartment, you may want to consider a more affordable, lightweight option that fits into any corner and takes up less storage space.
If you own dogs or cats, you’ll need a robot vacuum that can pick up your pet’s hair without worry of clogging or tanging around the vacuum brush. You’ll want to make sure the robot vacuum includes a detangler and large dust bin to hold plenty of pet hair and dirt so you don’t have to worry about emptying it frequently.
Hard floors or carpet
Robot vacuums function differently on different types of floors. For the best value and use over time, look for vacuums that can handle both hard floors and carpet. Some vacuums will have different cleaning options to choose from depending on the floor type to give each room the best thorough cleaning.
If you have a larger home with 4 or more bedrooms, you’ll want to consider a robot vacuum that has a longer battery life to clean your home longer before needing to be recharged. Most robot vacuums last 1-2 hours before needing to recharge – enough time to clean up to three rooms thoroughly.
The best robot vacuum cleaner features to look for
- Quiet cleaning – Chances are you’ll want a robot vacuum that cleans your floors quietly. The ECOVACS N79S is an option that cleans quieter than a standard vacuum cleaner. Some robot vacuums include a ‘silent’ or ‘quiet’ mode to clean your home’s floors with minimal sound so you can still watch TV and sleep without interruption while your robot vacuum cleans. Simply press the button on your robot vacuum cleaner or enable ‘quiet’ mode using your smartphone.
- Remote control – Popular smart home automation gadgets offer the convenience of controlling your devices when you’re away. The best robot vacuum cleaners give the same convenience using your smartphone. Simply download the app to schedule your robot vacuum’s floor cleanings, see floor cleaning reports and receive notifications when it’s finished or has low power.
- Self-charging – Not every robot vacuum cleaner is self-charging. Most popular vacuums have the power to dock themselves for recharging, but others are battery-operated. While most have long battery life, rechargeable docking stations that plug into wall outlets have proven to be most convenient. These robot vacuums automatically return to the dock when the battery is low. Plus, you’ll never have to worry about the costs of batteries over time.
- Bump guards – You’ll want to look for a robot vacuum that can clean your home without bumping into furniture or falling down the stairs. The best robot vacuum cleaners include protective bumpers to avoid damaging furniture while it’s cleaning. Some mobile apps give the option to designate invisible lines that the robot shouldn’t cross for collision-free floor cleaning.
Best All Around Robot Vacuum
1. iRobot Roomba 675 Robot Vacuum
This popular robot vacuum includes special dirt detection sensors to notify the Roomba when it needs to work harder to clean your floors. The Roomba cleans your home’s floors in three stages and includes multi-surface brushes for both carpet and hardwood floors. Set a schedule to clean your floors using the smartphone’s iRobot Home app to always come home to clean floors.
- Sweeps and cleans tight corners using a built-in 27-degree angled brush
- Cleans for nearly two hours before needing to recharge
- Vacuums floors using three cleaning stages to pick up everything from small crumbs to trash in one cleaning
Best Designed Robot Vacuum
2. eufy Boost IQ RoboVac
The eufy robot vacuum cleans with high pressure and suctions to easily remove tough dirt spots for fresh, clean floors. The RoboVac works to clean floors quietly, but powerfully to catch every corner of dirt. Uses drop-sensing technology to stop the robot vacuum cleaner from falling down stairs. This robot vacuum cleans both hard flooring and carpet with built-in powerful suctions.
- This robot vacuum is 2.85-inches tall to easily clean under furniture
- Includes a large 0.6-liter dust box to hold more dirt than most robot vacuums
- Cleans for nearly two hours before needing to recharge
Best Quiet Cleaning Robot Vacuum
3. ECOVACS DEEBOT Robot Vacuum
The ECOVAS robot vacuum has the power to clean your floor with double the power using your smartphone. You’ll also enjoy controlling your robot vacuum using voice commands to Amazon Alexa or Google Home. With your smartphone, you’ll be able to schedule floor cleanings, receive automated notifications for your comfort and convenience.
- Designed with protective bumpers and an anti-scratch finish to clean without damaging the robot vacuum cleaner or your floors
- Cleans with three special cleaning modes designed to specially clean each floor area including edges and tough spots
- Automatically clean your floors using the ECOVAS mobile app using your smartphone when you’re away
4. ILIFE V3s Pro Robot Vacuum
Use the V3s Pros one-touch button and remote control to clean tight corners and pet hair with ease. The robot vacuum is designed to fit under tight surfaces and furniture for an even clean. iLIFE’s robot vacuum automatically self-charges after cleaning or when the battery is low.
- Uses the special edge cleaning mode to clean along walls and tight corners with ease
- Schedule when you want the robot vacuum to clean your floors while you’re away
- Built-in smart sensors and dropping technology to avoid damaging the robot vacuum while cleaning
5. LG Robotic Vacuum
The LG Home Bot learns your home’s layout using a Dual Eye 2.0 mapping system for better floor cleaning. This robot vacuum cleaner includes a digital bumper and a navigation system to learn your home’s layout and avoid running into objects for a collision-free cleaning.
- Includes seven different cleaning modes to custom clean your home’s floors as you would
- Cleans for nearly 2 hours before needing to recharge
- Quiet robot vacuum design to clean silently while you watch TV or sleep
6. Samsung Robot Vacuum
The Samsung POWERbot is built with top-notch features to thoroughly clean your home’s floors. This robot vacuum uses a camera and sensors to clean without collisions. It includes a self-cleaning brush that automatically clears the vacuum of pet hair and tangled strings. The POWERbot also has a built-in rubber blade to clean corners and edges with ease.
- Uses over 40 times the average robot vacuum suction power to thoroughly clean hard floors and carpet
- Works with Amazon Alexa for hands-free control of your robot vacuum using voice commands
- Designed with coverage map to see where the POWERbot has cleaned using your smartphone
8. iRobot Roomba 690 Robot Vacuum
This Roomba is perfect for automatically cleaning both hard floors and carpet. Use the iRobot home app to tell your Roomba when to clean your floor and customize the cleaning even when you’re away. The Roomba includes dirt sensors to notify the robot vacuum for a deeper cleaning on high-traffic areas.
- Runs for nearly 2 hours before needing to recharge
- Cleans floors in three stages for a thorough, even floor cleaning
- Uses a dual mode wall barrier for the Roomba to clean without collision
9. bObsweep Robot Vacuum
The bObsweep PetHair Plus uses two brushes to clean floors free of dirt, dust and debris. The robot vacuum includes a microfiber mop and large easy-to-access dustbin to hold dirt and pet hair. Schedule your floors to be cleaned a week in advance using the FullCommand remote and the robot vacuum cleaner will handle the rest while you’re away.
- Sweeps, vacuums and mops all in one to clean your home’s floors as needed
- Schedule 7 days of cleaning for the robot vacuum using the FullCommand Remote
- Use blOck Plus to see invisible guards to tell the bObsweep which spots to avoid
10. Neato Robot Vacuum
Control the Neato robot vacuum using your smart home device or mobile device for your enjoyment. Conveniently schedule cleanings using the Neato mobile app when you’re away for clean floors when you arrive home. The D4 design uses laser technology and sharp edges for an even clean in straight lines.
- Uses laser technology to scan and clean your home in straight lines for an even clean
- Ability to establish ‘no-go’ lines to tell the robot vacuum where to avoid using the Neato app
- D-shaped design to clean tight areas and corners better than circular robot vacuums
Robot vacuum FAQs
How does a robot vacuum work?
Most robot vacuums use a rechargeable battery to move around your home. They often pick up pet hair and polish up high traffic areas without running into furniture. Although each robot vacuum is designed differently, you should expect to turn on the vacuum and watch it automatically clean using brushes and suctions to collect dirt.
How much should I spend on a robot vacuum?
The amount you spend on a robot vacuum will depend on the features. The best robot vacuums with advanced features including emptying their own dirt can cost upwards of $800. But, you should be able to get a Wi-Fi enabled, powerful robot vacuum for $200-$300.
What maintenance do robot vacuums require?
Robot vacuums are convenient and easy to use, and it’s important to take care of them. As a tip, regularly clean the wheels and brushes free from hair and strings to keep the vacuum working properly. Also, keep your floor free of cords and curtains to safely use your robot vacuum without it getting stuck.
The benefits of robot vacuums
- Convenience – When you’re away, schedule the robot vacuum to start cleaning your floors. Turn on the vacuum using your smartphone, then come home to clean floors free of dirt and pet hair.
- Multi-surface cleaning – The best robot vacuums clean hard floors and carpet without multiple cleaning gadgets. They use detectors to know when to clean high traffic areas and detect different floor surfaces for the best cleaning.
- Easy to use – Robot vacuums are easy to use for busy families who have long days with work and school or elderly homeowners who can’t reach tough areas. Just press the button or use the mobile app to start cleaning. The vacuum will handle the handle the floors for you.
Robot vacuums vary in cost, size, and capability. With so many options to choose from, you’re bound to find one that’s designed specially for home cleaning needs. Start by looking at our top five recommendations. For a full list of options and features, check out Amazon’s best-selling robot vacuums.