Medical alerts combine two of the most important aspects of older adult lives: independence and safety. While doctors and healthcare professionals may refer to medical conditions and symptoms to recommend medical alert systems, these devices are also a smart option for older adults on-the-go, living alone, or just looking for a bit more peace of mind. Depending on needs, there are various options to choose from, ranging from in-home systems to bracelets. If you’ve decided a medical alert bracelet is the right choice for you or your loved one, you may be wondering where the best place is to buy one.
Just like the variety of products, you also have plenty of buying options. From third-party online retailers to in-person providers, we’ll break down all of your options so you feel confident in purchasing a medical alert bracelet from wherever you choose.
Purchasing a Medical Alert Bracelet Online
Many medical alerts bracelets are available online from various retailers. Choosing an online shopping experience means you can easily compare systems side-by-side without leaving your home or interacting with salespeople. Plus, you’ll be able to review all of the available options, rather than only seeing the one or two systems an authorized dealer or phone salesman currently has in stock.
But online shopping isn’t always the best option. Websites can often be confusing, and online offers come and go quickly. Make the most of buying a medical alert bracelet online by following these steps:
- Start with the best medical alert bracelet providers. Bring a family member, caregiver, or friend along this online journey with you. Provider websites can be overwhelming. Between dozens of products, plans and fine print, it’s easy to overlook important details. Be sure to check FAQs to find answers to any questions you may have, and read reviews for a firsthand account of how the device works for different people.
- Select your favorite product and proceed to checkout. As you move through each screen, verify the information is correct, including the product, price, and plan. Carefully review hidden charges like shipping and handling, activation and cancellation fees. Once you’ve confirmed the information, proceed to the next step.
- Enter your shipping details and credit card information. If you’ve been shopping on multiple websites, this would be a good time to verify you’re entering your personal information into a secure, reliable site. Have your family member, caregiver, or friend double-check the website’s security and that the shipping and billing address are entered correctly. Enter your credit card information, and if you feel comfortable, have your online shopping partner confirm the details.
- Check for an email confirmation and receipt. It may take some time to hit your inbox, but you should receive an email confirmation with all of your purchase information within a few hours. Once you’ve received it, save it in a safe place in case anything goes wrong with your order. If you don’t receive an email from the company, reach out to their customer service to verify the purchase went through and correct any mistyped information.
Ordering a Medical Alert Bracelet Over the Phone
Ordering over the phone can be a nice in-between. A quick phone call means you can order a medical alert bracelet from the comfort of your home, so you won’t have to worry about transportation or risk COVID-19 exposure. Plus, talking with an expert over the phone can speed up the buying process by getting questions and concerns answered immediately. This way, you won’t have to search through website pages or wait for a chatbot to respond. Follow the steps below to ensure a safe and secure over-the-phone buying experience.
- Find the product you want. Browse catalogs, websites, or even ads to find the product you’re interested in. After you’ve selected one, track down the provider’s phone number. If you’re having trouble locating a phone number, try a quick Google search.
- Call the company. Once you get connected to a company representative, ask about the specific medical alert bracelet you’re interested in. If you know what plan or added accessories you want, mention that as well.
- Be prepared. During your conversation, the company representative may offer you another option or some sort of special deal on another device. Hear them out and ask any questions that arise, but remember it’s okay to ask for time to think about it. If you want to re-evaluate your choice, tell them you’ll call back after going over the options with a family member, caregiver or friend. Before you hang up, ask about any deals that may be timely.
- Provide payment information. When you’ve finished selecting your medical alert bracelet and any other products, provide the company representative with your shipping and payment information. Don’t forget to ask for a receipt and confirm you’ve received it.
What’s the Best Way to Order Your Medical Alert Bracelet?
In the end, the best way to order your medical alert system is the way that makes you feel most comfortable. Research the best medical alert providers and the best medical alert bracelets, then consider your buying options. Still not sure which buying option is best for you? Start by exploring online. If the process becomes overwhelming or confusing, try hopping on the phone with a company representative. When all else fails, take a trip to the store.
Buying a medical alert bracelet isn’t always easy and doesn’t have to be a quick process. Take your time researching, consulting your loved ones, and narrowing down your wants and needs. A decision regarding your safety and peace of mind deserves adequate time and energy.