Vacation Home Security Systems
Keeping a vacation home safe from theft and natural disasters can be difficult for homeowners, especially with how far they usually are from first homes. As a homeowner, you may be asking how can I make sure that my property is safe from so far away, or how can I save money on energy when I’m not there? You may want robust remote control abilities and other specific features important in vacation homes. That’s why our experts at Safety.com have researched and decided on the 10 best vacation home security systems of 2019. Here are some of your top home security options:
Our Top 10 Vacation Home Security Systems
- SimpliSafe – Best No Contract Option
- ADT Home Security – Best Overall
- Frontpoint – Best for Easy DIY Installation
- Vivint – Best System for Remote Operation
- Scout – Best Basic System
- Brinks – Best Customer Satisfaction and Service
- Protect America – Best Budget System
- Abode – Best Smart Home and Compatibility Features
- Ring – Best for Monitoring Local Crime
- Link Interactive – Best Cellular Based Automation
What Features to Look for When Buying a Vacation Home Security System
- Internal and External Alarms – Most security systems come with a control panel with a built in siren, but you can separately purchase a siren made to be used outdoors as well. If you happen to not be home when an incident or break-in occurs, the external alarm may notify neighbors that there’s a problem.
- Home Automation- Home automation is another critical feature for alarm systems being used at a property that’s not always occupied. With smart home products, you can turn on lights and other appliances at scheduled intervals.
- Remote Operation Features – Many of the best security systems offer the ability to do such things as arm your system remotely as well as open garage and front doors remotely. Some systems also allow for controlling such things as the home’s thermostat remotely.
Find your Home Security Match
Answer a few questions to find out which system we recommend for you.
What Factors Should You Consider Before Buying?
- Ease of Installation for DIY Systems – Installing a DIY home security system can be time consuming and challenging. Be sure to choose a provider that not only makes DIY installation as straightforward as possible but also provides adequate telephone customer support.
- Remote Viewing Capabilities – For a vacation home property in particular, it’s a good idea to select a system that allows for remote monitoring no matter where you are in the world through live streaming and mobile alerts. If you don’t want to pay to have an Internet connection at your vacation property, you should opt for a provider that offers cellular monitoring for its security systems.
- Is Indoor and Outdoor Monitoring Available – Your vacation home security camera system is also critical. Many systems offer both indoor and outdoor HD cameras, adding another layer of security for a property left unoccupied for long stretches of time.
What is the best home security package for you?
Use our Package Finder to find the right package based on your home security needs!
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended package: Barrington
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best for Smart Home Integration Options
Scout AlarmOur rating8Starting at$9.99/mo
Our take on Scout Alarm
Scout is a DIY smart security option that gives you more control of your security and smart home devices. Your pack connects your favorite smart lights, garage openers and more. You’ll have ultimate control and convenience together with Scout.
Recommended Package: Architect Pack
- No contract required
- Unique RFID door panel for arming and disarming
- Lots of home automation integration capabilities
- Not very many smart devices to choose from
- No professional installation option
- Professional monitoring not available with Always On plan
Discourage Burglars With a Vacation Home Security System
A home alarm system for your vacation home can be an easy and cost-effective way to secure your property for the long stretches of time when it’s uninhabited. A University of North Carolina study, found that about 60 percent of burglars indicated that the presence of an alarm would cause them to opt for an alternative target. The same study said burglars are discouraged by alarms, outdoor cameras, or other surveillance equipment. When considering a system, remember to look for the equipment options that are particularly useful for a vacation property such as external alarms, automation systems and smartphone integration.
Vacation Home Security Systems FAQs
It’s a good idea to view your home like a burglar might. Which areas are most vulnerable? Where is there easy access? Is there a basement that provides access to the home? Answering these questions will help determine how many door and window sensors you might need.
Installation complexity can vary by system and the size of your property. However, many companies offer phone support as well as detailed installation guides. According to most DIY providers, setup is an easy process, but you’ll have to decide whether or not you’re comfortable with installing your own system. Keep in mind that with DIY installation, you’ll be responsible for ensuring your system works properly and address any issues that may arise.
DIY security systems may not necessarily be the best solution for larger homes. You’ll have to make sure that you have enough sensors to cover essential areas, and that those sensors will be able to communicate with the control panel. While researching providers and equipment packages, make sure the package you choose has the functionality needed for your home.