Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||One-year and extended||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Bordered on three sides by water — including the Atlantic Ocean, Chesapeake Bay and Elizabeth River — Norfolk, Virginia, boasts an 144-mile shoreline. With sandy beaches, ocean waves, and attractions such as the world’s largest naval station, Norfolk residents spend a lot of time on or near the water. It’s the perfect place for weekend warriors to practice fishing, sailing, kayaking, and even crabbing. When the weather is less than ideal, residents can find indoor entertainment at numerous art galleries, studios, and theaters, such as the Chrysler Museum of Art and Chrysler Hall.
Unfortunately, some people in Norfolk, as in any city, spend their time stealing property. To keep your belongings safe, it’s important to invest in the best home security system for your household. The right equipment can help deter, apprehend, and identify criminals while giving you peace of mind.
Norfolk Crime Stats
According to the FBI’s city data, the following crimes were committed in Norfolk, Virgina, in 2018:
- 6,972 reported incidents of larceny-theft
- 703 reported incidents of burglary
- 321 reported incidents of aggravated assault
- 788 reported incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 660 reported incidents of robbery
Norfolk experiences more crime compared to the nearby city of Chesapeake, Virginia, which has 2,000 fewer residents. For example, Norfolk reported about twice as many motor vehicle thefts than Chesapeake in 2018. According to Neighborhood Scout, Norfolk’s most dangerous areas include Cottage Road Park, Campostella, Huntersville, Poplar Hall, and Glen Rock. Some of the safest Norfolk neighborhoods include Edgewater, Bel-Aire, West Ghent, and Larchmont.
- Best for Smart Home Technology
Johns Brothers Security was founded in Norfolk in 1974 and maintains its headquarters there in addition to several locations throughout the region. The company offers top-of-the-line home security systems with Z-wave technology combined with the friendly customer service you want from a local business.
★ Recommended plan: Premium Package
Johns Brothers Security’s Premium Package includes smart home security equipment that you can control from a touchscreen hub or a mobile app. This package includes a keypad door lock, indoor motion sensor, an outdoor HD camera, and four door or window sensors. The company offers free professional installation, and the equipment costs $399 and professional 24/7 monitoring costs $54.95/month.
- Z-wave technology
- Mobile app
- Free professional installation
- 36-month contract required
- Monthly monitoring cost is relatively pricey
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other Local Providers
If you don’t find what you’re looking for with Johns Brothers Security, try these other local security and alarm companies serving Norfolk and the greater Hampton Roads region:
- Blue Line Security: Blue Line Security offers modern video surveillance systems, alarm systems, home automation, and 24/7 local monitoring.
- Vector Security: Vector Security focuses on smart technology and home automation, including smart thermostats, smart lights, smart garage door openers, and a suite of home security equipment and alarm systems.
- Richmond Alarm Company: Richmond Alarm Company offers packages comparable to Johns Brothers Security, with the addition of a smoke detector in each package.
Additional Areas Covered
Norfolk, Virginia, is conveniently located near the Atlantic coast and the Outer Banks region of North Carolina. Home security companies serving Norfolk often also serve clients in the following areas:
- Chesapeake, Virginia
- Portsmouth, Virginia
- Virginia Beach, Virginia
- Suffolk, Virginia
- Hampton, Virginia
- Newport News, Virginia
- Moyock, North Carolina
- South Mills, North Carolina
- Barco, North Carolina
- Elizabeth City, North Carolina
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
FAQs for Norfolk, VA
Because most of the property crimes committed in Norfolk are larcenies, the best home security features for Norfolk include smart door locks and video doorbells with two-way audio. When you’re on the go and realize you forgot to lock up, you can lock each door through a mobile app. In addition, outdoor cameras and motion-sensing alarms and spotlights can help deter criminals from attempting to enter your property.
Johns Brothers Security, Blue Line Security, Vector Security, and Richmond Alarm Company all provide professional installation in the Norfolk, Virginia, area. National companies can also send representatives to perform professional installation, including Brinks and ADT.
Johns Brothers Security, Blue Line Security, and Vector Security offer a large variety of modern smart home devices to residents in Norfolk. Most national home security companies also offer smart home devices, such as ADT and Vivint.
Although Johns Brothers Security, Blue Line Security, Vector Security, and Richmond Alarm Company do not offer financing services, they may offer custom packages to help you afford a security system. Additionally, some national brands, such as Frontpoint, offer financing options.
Johns Brothers Security, Blue Line Security, Vector Security, and Richmond Alarm Company all sell security cameras either in their equipment packages or as separate products. For affordable but powerful cameras from a national company, check out Arlo.