Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Not specified online||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||None||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Austin is much more than just the capital of Texas. The city’s official slogan is “The Live Music Capital of the World” due to its long-running PBS concert series Austin City Limits, its many live music venues and its annual music/film/interactive festival South by Southwest (SXSW). Austin is also the headquarters of Whole Foods Market, and the worldwide headquarters of Dell is located in the nearby suburb of Round Rock. Austin, TX is also the 11th biggest city in the U.S., and was voted the No. 1 place to live in the country in 2017 and 2018 by U.S. News & World Report. If you live in Austin or are planning to move there, we can help you keep your home secure.
Austin, TX Crime Statistics
Austintexas.gov states that crime rose by 7% from 2017 to 2018, with an increase of 3.9% in burglary cases from 4,380 cases in 2017 to 4,549 cases in 2018. According to the FBI 2018 Crime in the United States report, property crime rose from 31,001 cases in 2017 to 33,655 in 2018, marking an 8.6% increase. According to Neighborhood Scout, Austin has a higher crime rate than 92% of other cities in the U.S. Here is a breakdown of the number of crimes reported from the FBI’s 2018 report:
- 26,568 incidents of larceny-theft
- 2,538 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 1,021 incidents of robbery
- 4,549 incidents of burglary
- 1,880 incidents of aggravated assault
Austin Spotlight: Fort Knox Security Services - Local Security Provider
For over a decade, Fort Knox Security Services has provided residential and commercial customers with home security equipment and 24/7 customer support. It serves areas in Texas and Arizona including San Antonio, Houston, Phoenix, Dallas/Fort Worth and Austin. Its 5-Diamond Certified Alarm Dispatchers and consultants have over 20 years of experience and provide customers with a fast and industry-leading 13-second response rate. It also has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
Fort Knox Security Services offers three security packages with professional monitoring, starting at $15.95 per month. The basic package, called Protect 360, provides a touchscreen alarm panel, three window and door sensors, and a pet-friendly motion sensor for your home in addition to 24/7 monitoring and customer support. With the Control 360 package, customers can add an extra piece of security equipment of their choice. The View 360 package includes live video monitoring and image capturing functionality, along with smart home devices.
Best Home Security Systems in Austin
- Best for No-Contract Options
Our take on Fort Knox Security: No matter what you’re looking for in a home security system, Fort Knox Home Security has a solution for you. This Texas-based company caters to both the DIY crowd and homeowners who prefer to let the pros handle their home security from start to finish. The company’s most affordable rate of $15.95 per month is only available if you sign a 36-month contract and purchase equipment. Expect to pay around $29.95 per month if you want a month-to-month option. Already own home security equipment? Fort Knox Home Security can monitor it for you.
★ Recommended Plan
View 360 Ultimate This plan provides three different video cameras for broad surveillance, plus a motion detector and three window or door sensors. You can control the system through a central touchscreen hub or your smartphone.
- DIY and professional installation options
- Smart home automation
- A variety of equipment to choose from
- Month-to-month option is pricey
- $99 installation fee depending on your plan
- Additional monthly app cost
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers in Austin
- True Protection: Founded in 2011, True Protection provides both commercial and residential customers with security and automation solutions. Its local experts also install fire alarm systems and video surveillance systems.
- Austin Central Security: Austin Central Security services come without a three-year contract or credit check. It also provides 24/7 Five Diamond certified professional monitoring and offers a low price guarantee.
- SecuriMax: SecuriMax is a Hutto, TX based security company that offers clients a wide range of home security and automation solutions. It also offers security cameras and professional installation options.
- All Star Security: With more than 23 years of experience, All Star Security offers a free consultation with no obligation. The company upgrades existing security systems and offers a wide range of home security and automation options.
Surrounding Areas for Austin, TX
Local and national home security providers serve Austin, TX and its surrounding areas, including:
- Lakeway, TX
- Bee Cave, TX
- The Hills, TX
- Hudson Bend, TX
- Rollingwood, TX
- Brushy Creek, TX
- Hornsby Bend, TX
- Sunset Valley, TX
- West Lake Hills, TX
- Manchaca, TX
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Austin
Property crime in Austin rose by 2,654 cases in 2018 from 31,001 in 2017, making 24/7 surveillance and security cameras a must-have in any Austin home. It is also important to install motion sensors to ensure that every inch of your home is secure. You may also want to consider installing a security system and cameras that allow you to view footage via your mobile device.
All Star Security, ADT, SecuriMax, and SimpliSafe offer security cameras with recording functionality. All cameras are full HD 1080p and are wireless. True Protection, Frontpoint and Vivint offer customers a wide range of cameras, including indoor and outdoor cameras as well as doorbell cameras. For a detailed look at security cameras and their features, check out our list of The Best Home Security Cameras of 2020.
ADT requires a minimum 36-month contract. Austin Central Security also requires a contract, but it will match their competitor’s prices based on the overall value of the contract. Vivint will waive its required contract if the equipment is purchased upfront. All Star Security, SimpliSafe, and Frontpoint do not require a contract and offer clients month-to-month service plans.
True Protection, Austin Central Security, SecuriMax and All Star Security offer only professional installation. If you are looking for a DIY installation option, both Frontpoint and Simplisafe offer affordable home security equipment and easy DIY installation options.
Local provider All Star Security is the most suitable home security provider with a month-to-month service agreement. However, it only offers professional installation. SimpliSafe is the best option for renters with DIY installation and a month-to-month plan.