Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|DIY or Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY||Professional|
|None||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||39 or 60 month agreement|
Smart home compatibility
|3-year limited equipment warranty||Option to extend limited warranty||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||Not specified|
Home Security in Columbia, SC
Home to just over 130,000 people, Columbia is the second biggest city in South Carolina. The state’s capital has a long and storied history, starting with the Congaree Tribe, who lived in the area for nearly 1,000 years. Columbia is home to the University of South Carolina, the state’s largest university, and Fort Jackson, the country’s largest basic training installation. Columbia also boasts a number of natural attractions, such as the Congaree National Park, the River Runner Outdoor Center and Sesquicentennial State Park.
If you live in Columbia or are moving there and considering a new home security system, we’ll introduce you to some of the best options in the area so you can narrow down your choices and make a final decision.
Columbia Crime Statistics
According to Neighborhood Scout, Columbia’s property crime rate is more than twice the national average. In 2018, the FBI crime report listed almost 5,000 incidents of larceny-theft, with over a thousand burglaries, nearly 800 car thefts and just over 650 cases of aggravated assault.
- 4,979 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,006 incidents of burglary
- 768 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 656 incidents of aggravated assault
- 224 incidents of robbery
Local Spotlight: CPI Security — Local Security Provider
CPI Security has been offering home security to customers in the Carolinas, including Columbia, for 25 years. The company emphasizes award-winning in-house monitoring and an ongoing connection to the local community, including a long list of charitable ventures. CPI offers a wide variety of equipment packages, including indoor and outdoor security cameras, smart home automation and touch screen control hubs.
CPI Security plans start at $29.99 per month and all of its packages are wireless, so you don’t need a landline phone connection. Equipment packages start at the minimum possible and range all the way to fully loaded customized security and automation solutions. CPI offers professional installation and will even integrate with your previous provider’s equipment.
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
- Southeastern Provider
CPI SecurityOur rating7.4Starting at$29.99/mo
CPI offers a wide array of equipment packages, award-winning professional monitoring and the personalized customer support you want from a local company. Month-to-month plans are available with an upfront equipment purchase, and all CPI systems are cellular-based.
Recommended Plan: inTouch Edge features the most of CPI’s intelligent video alert notification cameras, as well as fire detection and full security features.
- Month-to-month contract option
- Can use existing equipment
- Intelligent video notifications
- Contract is required if equipment is not purchased upfront
- Must call to find out specific pricing
- No DIY installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Columbia
Columbia and South Carolina in general are served by a number of reputable home security companies besides CPI, including:
- Family First Security: Family First security emphasizes family and trusted in-house installers, never using subcontractors for installations.
- Lowcountry Home Security: Lowcountry Home Security’s CEO has been in home security for over 18 years, and Low Country itself enjoys a five-star customer rating from Facebook.
- Knoxnet Security: Knoxnet Security serves South Carolina customers with a wide variety of alarm installation, troubleshooting and other audio/video services.
Surrounding Areas for Columbia
Columbia area home security companies serve Columbia and surrounding areas, including:
- Arcadia Lakes, South Carolina
- Blythewood, South Carolina
- Cayce, South Carolina
- Chapin, South Carolina
- Columbia, South Carolina
- Congaree National Park, South Carolina
- Dentsville, South Carolina
- Forest Acres, South Carolina
- Fort Jackson, South Carolina
- Gaston, South Carolina
- Gilbert, South Carolina
- Irmo, South Carolina
- Lake Murray, South Carolina
- Lexington, South Carolina
- Pelion, South Carolina
- Pine Ridge, South Carolina
- South Congaree, South Carolina
- Springdale, South Carolina
- Swansea, South Carolina
- West Columbia, South Carolina
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Columbia
Burglary and motor vehicle theft are common crimes in Columbia, so good entry detection and outdoor cameras are smart things to look for in home security systems here.
CPI’s professional monitoring service starts at $29.99 per month, which is comparable to many of the most affordable home security companies.
CPI, Family First Security, Lowcountry Security and Knoxnet Security all emphasize cameras as an important part of their equipment offerings.
CPI Security offers many home automation equipment options such as automatic locks, thermostats, garage door openers and lights. Family First Security also offers a variety of home automation solutions.