Compare Top Providers
First Response Security
Pro. monitoring starts at
|$45.99/mo.||Request free quote||$29.99/mo.||$14.99/mo.||$44.99/mo.|
|Professional||DIY and Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Not specified online||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Not specified online||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Portland, OR is home to nearly 650,000 mountain valley-dwelling Americans. If you want to be able to drive a few miles into blue mountains and see a perfect pink sunset, get excited about moving to Portland. Even in the heart of the city, there’s opportunity to bike ride or hike through beautiful gardens, such as the International Rose Test Garden, Lan Su Chinese Garden and the Portland Japanese Garden. We can help you find the best home security solution to protect your property and your family in the Portland area.
Portland Crime Statistics
Neighborhood Scout ranks Portland as less safe than 98% of cities in the U.S., and notes that its property-crime rate is double the rest of the state. The city saw a total of 35,884 property crime incidents in 2018, according to the FBI. By far, larceny-theft crimes outnumbered other incidents. Here’s a breakdown of the crimes reported in 2018 alone:
- 24,508 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,899 incidents of aggravated assault
- 4,444 incidents of burglary
- 6,932 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 1,056 incidents of robbery
Portland Spotlight: First Response Security - Local Security Provider
First Response Security has been servicing the Portland area since 1989 and currently monitors over 3,000 residential and commercial alarm systems. Its in-house dispatch and monitoring center led to 46 arrests in 2019, according to its website. First Response was the first independently-owned alarm company to service the area, and has continually expanded to provide more cutting-edge security and smart home solutions for homeowners. The company isn’t transparent about its pricing or contract requirements on its website, but there’s a form you can submit to request a quote.
First Response offers a range of home security equipment, so whether you need video surveillance or environmental monitoring, you’ll find what you need. The intrusion detection equipment comes with a touch-screen control panel, or you can control the system remotely from a mobile device. If you’re equipped with its smart doorbell and indoor cam, you can see a live feed of any camera in your system from your computer or mobile device. The company offers both professional and DIY installation options.
Best Home Security Systems in Portland
- Regional OR Provider
First Response SecurityBBB ratingBStarting at$/mo
First Response Security checks all the boxes when it comes to equipment and professional monitoring. The downside is that its pricing isn’t apparent without consulting with a representative. Still, installation is an easy process and with high customer service standards, this provider is an easy winner.
- DIY and professional installation
- 3 decades of local experience
- Smart home devices
- Contract requirements not mentioned online
- Contract requirements not mentioned online
- No equipment packages or monitoring plans
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended package: Barrington
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Portland
These are some of the other home security providers servicing Portland:
- Phillip Electronics Alarm: Phillip Electronics has been servicing Portland since the 1950s, providing motion detectors and video surveillance and remote access with their monitoring service.
- Portland Security Alarm: Portland Security provides monitoring service with live video surveillance, home automation and remote access for controlling your system from afar.
- Quadrant Systems: Quadrant has three decades of experience designing intelligent security equipment for your smart home, but it doesn’t provide monitoring service.
- Security First Alarm: Security First provides intrusion and fire security monitoring in the Portland area for your existing equipment, as it doesn’t provide its own.
- Nighthawk Alarm: Nighthawk provides 24/7 local home security monitoring with equipment from Alarm.com.
Surrounding Areas for Portland
You might also look into providers servicing neighborhoods around Portland, such as:
- Beaverton, OR
- West Linn, OR
- Lake Oswego, OR
- Tigard, OR
- Oregon City, OR
- Clackamas, OR
- Milwaukie, OR
- Oak Hills, OR
- Bethany, OR
- West Slope, OR
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Portland
First Response Security, Phillips Alarm and Nighthawk Alarm all provide professional installation and setup for your equipment. However, they don’t mention fees on their website and likely have hidden installation fees. Many national providers provide professional installation, including ADT, Vivint, and Protect America.
First Response Security is the best provider for Portland homeowners because they can monitor activity with video surveillance and even control and monitor their home’s climate from anywhere.
First Response Security, Phillips Electronics Alarm, and Quadrant Systems are local providers that offer smart home devices.
First Response, Quadrant Systems, Nighthawk Alarm and Portland Security Alarm offer security cameras for home surveillance. You can also consider national providers like Frontpoint and Vivint if you’re looking for multiple camera options.