Compare Top Providers
Surety Home Security
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||DIY||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||None||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Yes, term not specified on website||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Columbus is the capital city of Ohio, most populous city in the state, and the second-largest city in the midwest, behind Chicago, IL. With nearly 2 million people, the greater Columbus area is also the second-largest metro area in Ohio.
Columbus is a solid center of business and is home to a variety of Fortune 1000 companies, including American Electric Power, Cardinal Health, Nationwide, and one of the largest universities in the nation, Ohio State University. If you’re a Columbus resident or will be moving there soon, you may want to equip your home with a security system. For help with your decision, we’ve compiled information here about the best home security providers in Columbus.
Columbus Crime Statistics
Larceny-theft was the most reported crime in 2018, according to the FBI’s crime report, with more than 21,000 cases reported. Over 6,000 burglaries occurred, along with nearly 4,000 automobile thefts. On average, the chances of becoming the victim of violent crime are higher in Columbus than across the rest of the state. Here is a breakdown of the most reported crimes in Columbus:
- 21,323 incidents of larceny-theft
- 6,271 incidents of burglary
- 3,918 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 1,922 incidents of robbery
- 1,575 incidents of aggravated assault
Columbus Spotlight: Surety - Local Security Provider
Surety is headquartered in Columbus but also provides service on the national level. As a young company, started in 2011, Surety has grown and has great security options for families. With an A+ Better Business Bureau rating and nearly nonexistent customer complaints, Surety has proved itself to be a reliable and solid home security option. Surety has also partnered with Alarm.com, a third-party security provider.
Surety’s most affordable professional monitoring package starts at $19/mo., or you can opt for self-monitoring and get the same equipment package for $14/mo. Surety even offers a less expensive home automation package with self-monitoring for as little as $6/mo. Surety also offers several camera plans, including a $4-per-month plan which allows you to view cameras inside your home from anywhere. Surety’s agreements are month-to-month, so you never have to worry about being locked in.
Best Home Security Systems in Columbus
- Regional OH Provider
Surety Home SecurityBBB ratingA+Starting at$19/mo
Surety offers a wide variety of plan options, all of which emphasize flexibility and affordability. If you just want to be able to view your home remotely, or if you want to implement a complete package with cameras, home automation, and professional monitoring, Surety has you covered.
- Month-to-month contract
- Home automation
- Flexible equipment configurations
- No professional installation
- Hard to contract customer service
- Some automation unavailable in mid-tier plans
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional local home security providers for Columbus
While Surety is a great choice for Columbus residents, there are also a number of other excellent home security options in the Columbus area including:
- All Secured Security: Local to Columbus, All Secured offers a staggering variety of home security, entrance control, automation, locksmith equipment, services and plans.
- Executive Security Consultants: Also based in Columbus, Executive Security has been in business since 1988 and focuses on affordable home security and professional installation.
- Sterling Protective Services: Another Columbus company, Sterling Protective Services offers both home and business security, as well as two free months for joining.
Surrounding Areas for Columbus
Home security companies in Columbus serve the city proper, surrounding towns, and suburbs in the greater metro area, including but not limited to:
- Bexley, OH
- Dublin, OH
- Gahanna, OH
- Grandview Heights, OH
- Granville, OH
- Hilliard, OH
- New Albany, OH
- Pickerington, OH
- Powell, OH
- Upper Arlington, OH
- Westerville, OH
- Worthington, OH
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Columbus
Since larceny-theft and burglary are the crimes most reported in Columbus, it’s wise to look for a good outdoor camera selection, professional monitoring, and entry detection options.
Surety has a wide variety of options at low prices with a self-monitored system starting at just $14/mo. and professional monitoring starting at $19.99/mo. SimpliSafe is also a great national option with professional monitoring starting $14.99/mo
Surety is an excellent solution for Columbus renters because of its wide selection of customizable equipment, easy self-installation, and month-to-month agreement.
Most local Columbus providers require some type of long-term contract for their services, with the exception of Surety, which operates on a month-to-month basis.