Compare Top Providers
Dial One Security, Inc.
Pro. monitoring starts at
|$45.99/mo.||Contact to request a quote||$29.99/mo.||$14.99/mo.||$44.99/mo.|
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Not specified||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Not specified||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About Cincinnati, OH
Set on the Ohio River, Cincinnati is right on the edge of Ohio’s border with Kentucky. It’s Ohio’s third-largest city, and has one of the fastest-growing economies in the Midwest. Cincinnati’s advantageous location makes it accessible to almost half of America’s population within just one day’s drive.
The city has a very rich history. It was the first city founded after the end of the American Revolution, and became one of the country’s major boomtowns in the 1800s. Among the city’s biggest attractions is its zoo, one of the oldest in the country. The area’s rich heritage is appreciated by many who live or move here.
If you are among one of Cincinnati’s current or future residents, you may be considering how to improve your home’s comfort and safety. We walk you through some of the best local options below to help you pick the home security provider that’s right for Cincinnati.
Cincinnati Crime Statistics
According to the FBI 2018 Crime in the United States Report, Cincinnati ranked third among Ohio’s cities for the most property crime. Rates of theft and property crimes have generally been decreasing over the past few years, but it still remains that the city’s overall crime rate is 109% higher than the national average.
- 897 incidents of robbery
- 2,978 incidents of burglary
- 13,710 incidents of property crime
- 9,422 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,310 incidents of motor vehicle theft
Cincinnati Spotlight: Dial One Security Inc. — Local Service Provider
Dial One Security Inc. has served Cincinnati residents since 1979. This locally owned and operated provider is headquartered in the suburb of Madisonville, and its monitoring station is located in Price Hill. The service covers the entire Cincinnati metropolitan area. Dial One has a respected reputation, earning it an A+ rating and the 2013 Torch Award from the Better Business Bureau. Clients report great customer service and easy coordination with installation technicians. The fact that the company’s monitoring is performed locally is appreciated as a big perk, as is the lack of sales pressure and “upselling” from representatives.
This brand covers a broad scope of home security services, including break-in alarms, security camera monitoring, fire alarms and even home automation. Dial One’s extra offerings include video recorders, video analytics and devices for protecting valuable items and AC units. Dial One is also an authorized Honeywell dealer, allowing you access to trusted equipment. All package options and pricing is given on a custom quote basis. In addition to its installation and monitoring services, the company also offers regular testing services for fire, smoke and carbon monoxide alarms, as well as fire sprinklers.
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Regional OH/KY Provider
Dial One Security, Inc.BBB ratingA+Starting at$/mo
Dial One Security, Inc. is trusted by many Cincinnati homeowners to provide and install comprehensive home security systems. From access control to home automation, this authorized Honeywell dealer is able to set up systems that can meet even the most complex needs of different households.
- Local monitoring service
- Highly praised customer service
- Home automation and video surveillance
- No transparent pricing
- No package options on website
- Only one monitoring center
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended package: Barrington
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Cincinnati
Other Cincinnati home security providers include a few brands with good reputations and attractive perks. These include:
- Alert 360: A regional provider serving most of the lower states and some in the Midwest. It provides three simple product and monitoring package options.
- Surety: This provider is based in Columbus, OH, and supplies inexpensive home automation and security plans, with options for self and professional monitoring.
- OP Home Security: This is a veteran-owned provider based right in Cincinnati that provides custom, private-network security camera installations.
- Integrated Protection Services: Another Cincinnati-based provider, it offers everything from access control and surveillance installations, to high-tech skin temperature detectors and special hazard protection.
- Silco Fire & Security: This Ohio-wide company provides installations for fire safety and security equipment, plus professional monitoring service.
Surrounding Areas for Cincinnati
The providers listed above offer security services for homes in Cincinnati, and many surrounding areas, including:
- Oakley, OH
- Pleasant Ridge, OH
- Walnut Hill, OH
- Bridgetown North, OH
- Willowville, OH
- Hamilton, OH
- Newport, KY
- Covington, KY
- Fort Wright, KY
- Hebron, KY
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Cincinnati
Alert 360, Dial One Security, Surety, and Silco Fire & Security have various home automation devices. Several of the best national home security providers offer smart home products, too.