Home Security in Albany
With a population of just over 96,000, Albany is not only the capital of the state of New York; it’s also one of the oldest cities in the United States. Albany’s history dates back to 1614, when Dutch colonists built Fort Nassau for fur trading. The city has been chartered since 1686 and has been the capital of New York since 1797. Which such a long and rich history, Albany is brimming with historical attractions such as the New York State Museum, the USS Slater, the Irish American Heritage Museum, and the Albany Institute of History and Art. If you’re a resident or planning to move to Albany and looking for a home security provider we’ll explore some of the top home security companies in the area to help you narrow your search and make your final choice.
Compare Local Home Security Providers
Blue by ADT
Pro. monitoring starts at
|DIY||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY installation|
|36 months or month-to-month option available||42-60 months or pay equipment in full||36 months||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Lifetime warranty||120-day equipment warranty||Option to extend limited warranty||3-year limited warranty||N/A|
Albany Crime Statistics
Albany’s crime rate has been relatively high compared to many other cities its size, but has been decreasing the past few years. According to the 2018 FBI Crime Report, there were quite a few incidents of larceny-theft at over 2,500, as well as more than 500 aggravated assaults, over 400 burglaries, and just over 200 robberies in Albany that year.
- 2,585 incidents of larceny-theft
- 550 incidents of aggravated assault
- 432 incidents of burglary
- 209 incidents of robbery
- 130 incidents of motor vehicle theft
Local Spotlight: Doyle Security Systems — Local Security Provider
Doyle Security Systems has been providing home security services in New York state since 1919, which makes this company by far one of the oldest providers in the nation. With local in-house monitoring, responsive customer service and affordable plans, Doyle offers a comprehensive security solution for almost any customer.
Doyle’s plans start at $25 per month with zero down, and always include wireless communication. Professional installation is an option, but they’ve also recently added “virtual assist installation” for people who would rather not have a technician enter their home, but still want help. As well as package deals, Doyle also offers custom security solutions.
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top home security pick because it offers reliable home security equipment at a cheaper price than most competitors. Even though smart home equipment isn’t offered, you’ll have the flexibility to create the system you want within your budget thanks to SimpliSafe’s customizable plans. But keep in mind that you’ll need to pay for equipment upfront because financing isn’t available.
★ Recommended package: The Haven plan offers the best value among SimpliSafe’s offerings. It gives you intrusion and environmental monitoring equipment for less than $500. The package includes security essentials, a smoke detector, a temperature sensor and more. You can add cameras and SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro for the full SimpliSafe security experience.
- Equipment and monitoring plans are cheaper than competitors
- Optional professional monitoring and installation
- Customizable packages and easy add-ons
- Upfront costs are more expensive than competitors
- No smart home equipment available
- Must upgrade to plan for remote and smart home control
- Regional NY Provider
Doyle offers a ton of experienced, friendly staff and affordable, in-house monitoring. There’s never a need for a phone line, and plans are customizable. With a lifetime warranty, a month-to-month plan and an option to self-install with online help, Doyle is ahead of the game in most areas.
- In-house monitoring
- Lifetime warranty
- Month-to-month option
- No home automation on lowest plan
- Equipment costs more for month-to-month
- No cameras on lowest plan
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
If you’re looking for smart home security, Vivint is our top choice. It offers the most extensive line of smart home and security equipment. Its intrusion and environmental equipment are filled with smart features, and the control panel doubles as a smart hub to connect and control your smart home devices. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
★ Recommended Plan: Vivint offers two packages: Smart Home and Smart Security. We recommend the Smart Home package to give you video monitoring, smart home control, environmental monitoring and the security essentials in one package.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT is one of the most well-known home security providers. You can expect traditional security with professional monitoring and installation. Choose from three packages, but keep in mind that you’ll need to upgrade your package if you want smart home or surveillance features. ADT also requires long-term contracts, but equipment financing is available.
★ Recommended Plan: We recommend the Complete package to give you everything you need from the start. It’s the only plan that includes security essentials, smart home compatibility and surveillance. Professional installation and monitoring are also included. Best of all, you’ll get ADT’s 6-month money-back guarantee and theft protection guarantee.
- 6-month money-back guarantee and theft protection guarantee
- Wide variety of smart home equipment
- Over 140 years of experience with award-winning professional monitoring
- Must upgrade plan for smart home or surveillance features and equipment
- Professional installation and monitoring are required
- Long-term contract required
- Best for Flexible Monitoring
Blue by ADTOur rating9Starting at$19.99/mo
Our take on Blue by ADT:
Blue by ADT is very similar to Ring, but with fewer options. You can choose a standalone camera or a whole-home system with sensors and motion detectors. Blue by ADT is a wireless DIY security choice that uses ADT’s professional monitoring. But unlike ADT, monitoring is optional and no contract is required. Best of all, we love that Blue by ADT’s cameras have smart features including facial recognition, smoke and carbon monoxide detector alerts and customizable motion zones.
★Recommended package: We recommend the Starter Plus System to give you all the intrusion protection equipment needed for a single-family home. The solution comes with mobile app control, a smart base station to connect Z-wave devices, four entryway sensors and two motion detectors for $300. Keep in mind that cameras cost extra, but can be added anytime.
- Standalone and whole-home security solutions
- Optional professional monitoring by ADT’s award-winning specialists
- Works with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa
- No professional installation option
- No smart home equipment offered
- Cloud storage costs extra
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Albany
Albany is home to quite a few reputable home security providers. Some of the top names include:
- Hart Alarm: With 40 years of experience serving security customers in the Capital Region, Hart alarm is a solid home security choice.
- Shepherd Communication and Security: A newer company founded in 2007, Shepherd offers integrated security solutions including environmental and fire protection.
- General Security: Family-owned and founded over 30 years ago on Long Island, General Security provides cutting edge security systems for both residential and commercial customers.
- International Built-In Systems: International Built-In Systems is another family-owned business, started in 1972 and still providing a full spectrum of home security services.
Surrounding Areas for Albany
Security providers in the Albany area also serve surrounding towns, including:
- Amsterdam, New York
- Bennington, Vermont
- Cohoes, New York
- Glens Falls, New York
- Gloversville, New York
- Kingston, New York
- Manchester, Vermont
- North Adams, Massachusetts
- Pittsfield, Massachusetts
- Rotterdam, New York
- Saratoga Springs, New York
- Schenectady, New York
- Southwick, Massachusetts
- Troy, New York
- Watervliet, New York
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Albany
Like most cities, Albany’s most common crime is larceny-theft, and there are a significant number of burglaries every year, so a security system with good entry detection and professional monitoring is the minimum you should look for.
Doyle Security Systems’ in-house professional monitoring service starts at $25.00 per month, which is competitive with national firms such as Vivint.
Most local home security providers offer professional installation, including Doyle Security Systems, Hart Alarm, Shepherd Communication and Security, General Security and International Built-In Systems, as well as some of the best national providers.
Higher-level packages at Doyle Security Systems include smart home options, including Z-Wave, Alexa and Apple Home Control.