Home Security in Albany
With a population of just over 96,000, Albany is not only the capital of the state of New York; it’s also one of the oldest cities in the United States. Albany’s history dates back to 1614, when Dutch colonists built Fort Nassau for fur trading. The city has been chartered since 1686 and has been the capital of New York since 1797. Which such a long and rich history, Albany is brimming with historical attractions such as the New York State Museum, the USS Slater, the Irish American Heritage Museum, and the Albany Institute of History and Art. If you’re a resident or planning to move to Albany and looking for a home security provider we’ll explore some of the top home security companies in the area to help you narrow your search and make your final choice.
Compare Local Home Security Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|DIY||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY installation|
|36 months or month-to-month option available||42-60 months or pay equipment in full||36 months||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Lifetime warranty||120-day equipment warranty||Option to extend limited warranty||3-year limited warranty||N/A|
Albany Crime Statistics
Albany’s crime rate has been relatively high compared to many other cities its size, but has been decreasing the past few years. According to the 2018 FBI Crime Report, there were quite a few incidents of larceny-theft at over 2,500, as well as more than 500 aggravated assaults, over 400 burglaries, and just over 200 robberies in Albany that year.
- 2,585 incidents of larceny-theft
- 550 incidents of aggravated assault
- 432 incidents of burglary
- 209 incidents of robbery
- 130 incidents of motor vehicle theft
Local Spotlight: Doyle Security Systems — Local Security Provider
Doyle Security Systems has been providing home security services in New York state since 1919, which makes this company by far one of the oldest providers in the nation. With local in-house monitoring, responsive customer service and affordable plans, Doyle offers a comprehensive security solution for almost any customer.
Doyle’s plans start at $25 per month with zero down, and always include wireless communication. Professional installation is an option, but they’ve also recently added “virtual assist installation” for people who would rather not have a technician enter their home, but still want help. As well as package deals, Doyle also offers custom security solutions.
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Regional NY Provider
Doyle offers a ton of experienced, friendly staff and affordable, in-house monitoring. There’s never a need for a phone line, and plans are customizable. With a lifetime warranty, a month-to-month plan and an option to self-install with online help, Doyle is ahead of the game in most areas.
- In-house monitoring
- Lifetime warranty
- Month-to-month option
- No home automation on lowest plan
- Equipment costs more for month-to-month
- No cameras on lowest plan
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best for flexible monitoring
Our take on Blue by ADT:
Get trusted professional monitoring and an easy-to-install security system with Blue by ADT. Even better, your first month of monitoring is free. As a Blue by ADT customer, you have the option to choose a no-contract plan. By doing this, you can purchase the equipment and skip the professional monitoring. You can always go back and add professional monitoring to your system if you decide you need it later down the line.
- Standalone and whole-home security solutions
- Optional professional monitoring by ADT’s award-winning specialists
- Works with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa
- No professional installation option
- No smart home equipment offered
- Cloud storage costs extra
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Albany
Albany is home to quite a few reputable home security providers. Some of the top names include:
- Hart Alarm: With 40 years of experience serving security customers in the Capital Region, Hart alarm is a solid home security choice.
- Shepherd Communication and Security: A newer company founded in 2007, Shepherd offers integrated security solutions including environmental and fire protection.
- General Security: Family-owned and founded over 30 years ago on Long Island, General Security provides cutting edge security systems for both residential and commercial customers.
- International Built-In Systems: International Built-In Systems is another family-owned business, started in 1972 and still providing a full spectrum of home security services.
Surrounding Areas for Albany
Security providers in the Albany area also serve surrounding towns, including:
- Amsterdam, New York
- Bennington, Vermont
- Cohoes, New York
- Glens Falls, New York
- Gloversville, New York
- Kingston, New York
- Manchester, Vermont
- North Adams, Massachusetts
- Pittsfield, Massachusetts
- Rotterdam, New York
- Saratoga Springs, New York
- Schenectady, New York
- Southwick, Massachusetts
- Troy, New York
- Watervliet, New York
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Albany
Like most cities, Albany’s most common crime is larceny-theft, and there are a significant number of burglaries every year, so a security system with good entry detection and professional monitoring is the minimum you should look for.
Doyle Security Systems’ in-house professional monitoring service starts at $25.00 per month, which is competitive with national firms such as Vivint.
Most local home security providers offer professional installation, including Doyle Security Systems, Hart Alarm, Shepherd Communication and Security, General Security and International Built-In Systems, as well as some of the best national providers.
Higher-level packages at Doyle Security Systems include smart home options, including Z-Wave, Alexa and Apple Home Control.