Compare Top Providers
Professional monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional with DIY option||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||12 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Manufacturer + 30-day installation||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Known as the “biggest little city in the world”, Reno, Nevada, is a mere 37 miles from Lake Tahoe and a six-hour jaunt to Las Vegas. With a population of just over 255,000 people, Reno packs a big punch for a small city. Famous for its casinos, Reno is also home to the University of Nevada, Reno. The area has seen a technology boom in recent years, becoming a new hub for tech startups, and it has seen investments from large companies such as Amazon, Tesla, Microsoft and Google.
Like any other city, Reno does experience crime, so it’s a good idea to consider local home security solutions. This guide reviews some of the best home security companies in Reno to help you find the right solution for your household.
Reno Crime Statistics
According to the 2018 FBI crime report, the most common crime in Reno is larceny-theft. The crime rate in Reno is higher than 87% of other U.S. cities, but its property crime rate is comparable to the rest of Nevada. Consider these numbers from the FBI’s 2018 report when considering alarm systems in Reno:
- 3,930 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,153 incidents of aggravated assault
- 1,073 incidents of burglary
- 1,050 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 303 incidents of robbery
Local Spotlight: TID Systems — Local Security Provider
TID Systems is a multifaceted company that serves Reno and the surrounding area. The company takes an integrated approach to automation and security, providing application security, IT services, security systems, video surveillance and smart home automation. Customization and the right solution are the main focuses for TID Systems. The company will even help you with your DIY systems, such as Nest, Ring, Arlo and more.
TID Systems’ lowest cost for professional monitoring is $29.99 per month, which requires a one-year contract. The company offers a 30-day installation warranty, and all of the equipment it provides comes with manufacturer warranties. Since TID specializes in custom solutions, you’ll have to call the company to find out your final cost.
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best for flexibility and integration
TID Systems’ philosophy is, “If we can help you, we will.” The company offers a variety of options to choose from to build your custom security package, including home automation and entertainment systems. Professional monitoring starts at $29.99 per month with a one-year contract.
- Video surveillance
- Home automation
- DIY install help
- Not focused exclusively on home security
- No set packages
- Must call to determine cost
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended package: Barrington
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Other Local Providers
Reno residents enjoy many options when it comes to alarm companies. Some of our other top picks include:
- All Pro Security: Based in Reno and serving the Douglas County area since 2002, All Pro Security offers commercial and residential security systems.
- AWAXX Systems: AWAXX Systems offers home security solutions to residents of Nevada and some areas of Northern California.
- Armed Alarm Services: Armed Alarm Services offers security alarm systems and professional monitoring, as well as home automation devices like thermostats, lights and automated door locks.
- Axis Security Group: Axis Security Group serves Nevada, California and Hawaii with home security solutions, fire alarms, professional monitoring, CCTV systems and home security cameras.
- CEI Alarm: A veteran-owned business serving northern Nevada and California, CEI Alarm offers home security systems, fire alarm systems and home entertainment installation solutions.
Additional Areas Covered
Home security companies serving Reno residents may also serve surrounding areas, including:
- Auburn, California
- Cameron Park, California
- Carson City, Nevada
- Fallon, Nevada
- Fernley, Nevada
- Grass Valley, California
- Lincoln, California
- North Auburn, California
- Placerville, California
- Rocklin, California
- South Lake Tahoe, California
- Sparks, Nevada
- Sun Valley, Nevada
- Susanville, California
- Truckee, California
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
FAQs for Reno
Larceny-theft and aggravated assault are the most common crimes in Reno, followed closely by burglary and motor vehicle theft, so entry detection, professional monitoring, and cameras are great investments for Reno residents.
TID Systems offers many sophisticated home automation devices, such as automatic locks, thermostats, garage door openers, lights and entertainment media.