Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||DIY||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||Not specified|
Many people recognize the beautiful Duke City landscape from breathtaking pictures taken during the city’s yearly balloon festival. However, this quaint town has more to offer than hot air balloons. Albuquerque is filled with historical sites, museums, and breathtaking landscapes that have attracted artists for over a century.
Although Albuquerque’s population has only grown 1% per year the last few years, it’s still above the 0.6% national average. This figure is even more impressive considering that most of New Mexico has seen an outflow of inhabitants due to better job opportunities being available in surrounding states.
Albuquerque, New Mexico Crime Statistics
While there’s less people inhabiting the picturesque landscape, that doesn’t mean crime rates have gone down. In fact, according to the latest FBI Uniform Crime Report, crime was up in Albuquerque in 2017 – with violent crime topping the list at 7,686 reported cases. Other crimes in the report include:
- 4,213 incidents of aggravated assault
- 6,996 incidents of burglary
- 7,684 incidents of auto theft
- 2,930 incidents of robbery
Best Home Security Systems
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best for flexible monitoring
Our take on Blue by ADT:
Get trusted professional monitoring and an easy-to-install security system with Blue by ADT. Even better, your first month of monitoring is free. As a Blue by ADT customer, you have the option to choose a no-contract plan. By doing this, you can purchase the equipment and skip the professional monitoring. You can always go back and add professional monitoring to your system if you decide you need it later down the line.
- Standalone and whole-home security solutions
- Optional professional monitoring by ADT’s award-winning specialists
- Works with Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa
- No professional installation option
- No smart home equipment offered
- Cloud storage costs extra
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
FAQs on Home Security Systems in Albuquerque
Each provider entices customers with different features. The best way to get everything you need is by working with the representatives of one of the best home security systems. Home automation is definitely a feature that most companies offer.
Some people might feel secure enough knowing that there are sensors in every door and window. However, adding cameras can let you quickly verify if someone is looking to break into your or if it’s just UPS dropping off a package.
How long an installation takes depends entirely on the home’s size, as well as the services requested. Simple installations can take as little as 15 minutes (smart locks or a few sensors), or as much as a few hours (complete home installation with multiple cameras, sensors, floodlights, etc).