Compare Top Providers
SMS Security Systems LLC
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Not specified||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Not specified||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About Newark, NJ
With just over 280,000 residents, Newark is the most populous city in New Jersey, and also one of the oldest cities in the nation. Only 30 minutes from Manhattan, Newark is home to Port-Newark Elizabeth, which is the primary container terminal in the busiest seaport on the East coast. Newark also hosts a wealth of major corporations, including Prudential, Panasonic Corporation of North America and Audible. Additionally, several top educational institutions have campuses in Newark, including the Rutgers University medical and law schools, Seton Hall University law school and the New Jersey Institute of Technology.
If you live in Newark, or are planning on moving there, you may be thinking about a home security system. We’ve laid out some of the best home security companies in the area, so you can make your final choice.
Newark Crime Statistics
The 2018 FBI Crime Report states that larceny-theft is the most common crime in Newark. Motor vehicle theft is next, with just over 2,000 incidents, and aggravated assault rounds out the top three with over 1,100 cases. According to Neighborhood Scout, property crime is less common in Newark than in the rest of the U.S., but still about 50% more common than it is in the rest of New Jersey.
- 2,827 incidents of larceny-theft
- 2,015 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 1,155 incidents of aggravated assault
- 832 incidents of burglary
- 689 incidents of robbery
Local Spotlight: SMS Security Systems LLC — Local Security Provider
SMS Security Systems is a family-owned business that’s served New Jersey for over 35 years. An Alarm.com authorized dealer and a GE Security Pro dealer, SMS offers home security, fire alarms and inspections, camera systems and personal emergency monitoring, among a host of other services.
Gateway’s professional monitoring service starts at $39.95 per month (call for quotes). The company offers a wide variety of equipment options, including cameras and personal emergency equipment. SMS specializes in customized solutions, so it’s best to give their reps a call to let them know your situation, so they can help you come up with a plan.
- Regional NJ Provider
SMS Security Systems LLCBBB ratingA+Starting at$39.95/mo
SMS Security Systems is a local, family-owned business with over three decades of experience in home and commercial security. The company partners with Rapid Response Monitoring for uninterrupted, 24/7 monitoring.
- Custom solutions
- Personal emergency monitoring
- Central station monitoring
- Pricing not very transparent
- No month-to-month arrangement
- No DIY installation
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Newark
There are many New Jersey- and New York-based security companies that serve the Newark area, including:
- Supreme Security Systems: Operating since 1929 and family-owned for three generations, Supreme Alarm serves New Jersey with home security, automation and personal emergency monitoring services.
- Ultimate Security Systems: In business since 1978, Ultimate Security designs, installs and monitors custom home security systems throughout New Jersey.
- Essex Alarms: Essex alarms serves customers not only with home security systems, but also locksmith, door and glass services, making it a one-stop shop for keeping your home secure.
- A&R Alarm Corp.: Based in New York, A&R Alarm has also served New Jersey customers’ home security needs since 1966.
Surrounding Areas for Newark
Newark is one city in a huge metropolitan area that, for all intents and purposes, is contiguous with New York City. Towns surrounding Newark include:
- Bayonne, NJ
- Belleville, NJ
- Bloomfield, NJ
- East Orange, NJ
- Elizabeth, NJ
- Harrison, NJ
- Hillside, NJ
- Irvington, NJ
- Jersey City, NJ
- Kearny, NJ
- North Arlington, NJ
- Orange, NJ
- South Orange, NJ
- Union, NJ
- West Orange, NJ
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Newark
Larceny and car theft are by far the most reported crimes in Newark, so it’s wise to consider home security systems with entry detection as well as outdoor cameras.
Many New Jersey-based providers offer camera systems, including SMS Security Systems and Supreme Security Systems. National providers that offer cameras include ADT, Vivint, Frontpoint, and SimpliSafe.
Most local security companies offer professional, custom installation services, including SMS Security. In addition, all of the best national firms such as ADT and Vivint offer professional installation.