Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|$45.99/mo.||Call for a quote||$29.99/mo.||$14.99/mo.||$44.99/mo.|
|Professional||Professional with DIY option||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||typically 5 years||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Call for information||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About Winston-Salem, NC
Winston-Salem is known as a hub for the tobacco industry, with the R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company founded there in 1875. Now home to nearly 250,000 people, Winston-Salem (just “Winston” to residents, and “Camel City” to some) also hosts Wake Forest University, Winston-Salem State University, and Salem College, the oldest women’s college in the country. Some of the city’s most popular attractions include the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art, Kaleideum Downtown, and the Winston Cup Museum, to name a few.
If you’re living in or moving to Winston-Salem, it’s helpful to weigh your options with respect to alarm companies. This guide reviews some of the best security companies in Winston-Salem to help you find the right home security system for your household.
Winston-Salem Crime Statistics
Winston-Salem has a fairly high crime rate — it’s listed on Neighborhood Scout as safer than only 8% of U.S. cities. The Winston-Salem Police Department reports an above-average number of property crimes for a city of its size, and property crime has gone up in Winston-Salem since 2018. Consider these figures for the first half of 2019:
- 4,751 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,271 incidents of burglary
- 1,260 incidents of aggravated assault
- 516 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 197 incidents of robbery
- Best for Customizable Packages
General Security boasts 30 years of experience providing security solutions for homeowners and businesses. The company offers different packages with various smart home components, like smart thermostats and light controls, as well as DIY security options. This fast-growing security company specializes in cutting-edge, creatively designed security and home automation systems, including unique services like visual verification, intercom systems, video monitoring, card access, home energy management systems, and fire safety.
Recommended Package: Systems are customizable so you must call to explore options
- 30 years of experience in security
- A wealth of smart home technologies
- The ability to customize your security packages
- Typical contract length is 5 years
- Limited service area
- Pricing and warranty information unavailable online
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other Local Providers
Winston-Salem is home to a variety of reputable and experienced home security companies. Compare options from these local providers:
- Sonbert Security: Founded in 1969, Sonbert Security is an independent, family-owned company offering custom-designed security and fire alarm systems to Winston-Salem area residents.
- Carolina Alarm: Carolina Alarm has been serving the Piedmont Triad area since 1986, specializing in home security and fire alarm systems.
- Alarm Alert: Alarm Alert offers many safety solutions, including burglar and fire alarms, medical alert systems, access control, and CCTV.
- AlarmQuest: AlarmQuest boasts over 200 years of combined experience through three generations. With offices in Winston-Salem and Statesville, it protects homes and businesses with innovative security solutions.
- ACE-HTI: ACE-HTI offers a full range of home security, home automation, and multimedia design and installation services, with offices in both Winston-Salem and Greensboro.
Additional Areas Covered
Home security companies in Winston-Salem also serve surrounding areas in North Carolina and across the border in Virginia. Some of the towns these companies serve include:
- Archdale, North Carolina
- Asheboro, North Carolina
- Burlington, North Carolina
- Clemmons, North Carolina
- Eden, North Carolina
- Greensboro, North Carolina
- High Point, North Carolina
- Kernersville, North Carolina
- Lewisville, North Carolina
- Lexington, North Carolina
- Martinsville, Virginia
- Reidsville, North Carolina
- Salisbury, North Carolina
- Statesville, North Carolina
- Thomasville, North Carolina
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Winston-Salem
Since larceny-theft, burglary, and aggravated assault are common crimes in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, a home security system should at least include entry detection and 24/7 professional monitoring. Additionally, a robust video surveillance system will take your home security system to the next level.
Local providers in Winston-Salem generally offer customized solutions, so your cost will vary depending on what you want. For some of the most affordable home security solutions, check out national firms such as Vivint.
Local home security providers often feature long-term contracts. For instance, General Security’s agreement can be as long as five years. For a contract-free alarm system, take a look at some of the top national providers, including SimpliSafe, Blue by ADT, and Abode.