Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|DIY or Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY||Professional|
|None||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||39 or 60 month agreement|
Smart home compatibility
|3-year limited equipment warranty||Option to extend limited warranty||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||Not specified|
Part of North Carolina’s “Triangle” region, and known as the “city in a park,” Raleigh is home to over 10,000 acres of parkland, including 180 miles of greenway trails and the largest museum art park in the U.S. Raleigh was also ranked as the third Sportiest City in America by Men’s Health Magazine in 2017, and is home to the 2006 Stanley Cup-winning Carolina Hurricanes NHL team.
The city’s 469,298 full-time residents don’t include the students attending Raleigh’s six colleges and universities, including NC State, which houses the James B. Hunt Jr. Library, considered one of the most beautiful libraries in the world. Raleigh’s culinary arts scene is also a big draw to visitors, with the “Best Chef in America,” Ashley Christensen, operating five different Raleigh restaurants. But with everything this city has going for it, it’s important for its residents to know they can find a home security system that’s right for Raleigh.
Raleigh Crime Statistics
According to Neighborhood Scout, Raleigh’s crime rates make it more dangerous than 86% of American cities. It has a crime rate of 30.73 per 1,000 residents, or about 3%. Its crime rates are about the same as the rest of the state of North Carolina, but unfortunately, NC ranks sixth in the nation for the highest burglary rates per capita. In Raleigh in 2018, the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation reported:
- 7,672 incidents of larceny-theft
- 2,025 incidents of burglary
- 1,209 incidents of aggravated assault
- 688 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 533 incidents of robbery
Raleigh Spotlight: CPI Security Systems — Local Security Provider
CPI Security Systems is the largest privately-owned home security company in the southeast region of the U.S., serving customers throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Alabama, and Virginia. CPI runs its own award-winning monitoring center, and uses video alarm verification to help police assist in alarm events (for customers with video surveillance). The Better Business Bureau gives CPI an A+ rating, and customers give it an average of four out of five stars.
CPI home security services start at $29.99 a month for monitoring, with four packages to choose from: inTouch™ Essentials, inTouch™ Essentials Plus, inTouch™ Video, and inTouch™ Edge. Fees for installation and monitoring vary; you’ll need to contact CPI directly for a quote. CPI’s contracts are optional, but if you want month-to-month monitoring, you’ll have to pay for your equipment up front.
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended package: Barrington
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
- Southeastern Provider
CPI SecurityOur rating7.4Starting at$29.99/mo
CPI offers a wide array of equipment packages, award-winning professional monitoring and the personalized customer support you want from a local company. Month-to-month plans are available with an upfront equipment purchase, and all CPI systems are cellular-based.
Recommended Plan: inTouch Edge features the most of CPI’s intelligent video alert notification cameras, as well as fire detection and full security features.
- Month-to-month contract option
- Can use existing equipment
- Intelligent video notifications
- Contract is required if equipment is not purchased upfront
- Must call to find out specific pricing
- No DIY installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Raleigh
For other local home security options in Raleigh, check out these local providers.
- Iwatch Security: Iwatch gets 4.5 out of 5 stars from Yelp users and the company claims that 95% of its potential clients choose Iwatch over their competitors.
- Security Force: Security Force Inc. (SFI) is based right in Raleigh and offers 24/7 monitoring, and smart home device options in addition to basic intrusion detection.
- Alarm Man of NC: Alarm Man uses Honeywell equipment and offers medical alert systems in addition to home security systems in Raleigh.
- Secur-Tek: Professional monitoring with Secur-Tek starts at $21.95 a month, and you can use its security cost comparison calculator to calculate the price difference between your current system and a Secur-Tek system.
Surrounding Areas for Raleigh
Raleigh home security providers also provide service to the following Raleigh cities and suburbs:
- Durham, NC
- Cary, NC
- Chapel Hill, NC
- Wake Forest, NC
- Fuquay-Varina, NC
- Morrisville, NC
- Apex, NC
- Garner, NC
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Raleigh
Because Raleigh has a high percentage of professionals who work from home, doorbell cameras are an important security feature for Raleigh homeowners. A doorbell camera can let you answer your door without interrupting your day.