Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||39 or 60 month agreement||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Not specified||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About Durham, NC
Known as the “City of Medicine,” Durham is home to North Carolina’s Research Triangle Park in the southeast part of the city, as well as the famous Duke University and its Blue Devils. The Eno River borders Durham’s north side, with Eno River State Park offering hiking, camping, boating and fishing opportunities for Durham’s 278,993 residents and visitors. The 22-mile American Tobacco Trail is another big draw for hikers, with its northern trailhead ending right in downtown Durham across from the Durham Bulls Athletic Park. Families enjoy spending time in Durham Central Park, where kids can try the halfpipe at the skate park and parents can shop at the Durham Farmers’ Market. But no matter what it is that brings you to this vibrant city, we can help you find a home security system that’s right for Durham, NC.
Durham Crime Statistics
According to Neighborhood Scout crime statistics, Durham is only safer than about 6% of cities in the United States. Its property crime rate is higher than that of North Carolina as a whole. Compared to the rest of the U.S., Durham’s property crime rates are more than double the national average for burglary, and not quite double the national average for theft. For Durham in 2018, the FBI reported:
- 6,688 incidents of larceny-theft
- 2,238 incidents of burglary
- 1,125 incidents of aggravated assault
- 829 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 723 incidents of robbery
Durham Spotlight: CPI Security Systems — Local Security Provider
CPI Security Systems is the largest privately-owned home security company in the Southeast region of the U.S., serving customers throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Alabama and Virginia. CPI runs its own award-winning monitoring center and uses video alarm verification to help police assist in alarm events (for customers with video surveillance). The Better Business Bureau gives CPI an A+ rating, and customers give it an average of four out of five stars.
CPI home security services start at $29.99 a month for monitoring, with two wireless packages to choose from and the ability to customize your own package. The inTouch Essentials is the most basic package, with a control panel, three door and window sensors, one motion detector, and inTouch mobile app access. The inTouch Essentials Plus comes with a SmartHub panel for smart home devices and live video viewing, and also adds a fire communicator to the items included in the basic package. Fees for installation and monitoring vary; you’ll need to contact CPI directly for a quote. CPI’s contracts are optional, but if you want month-to-month monitoring, you’ll have to pay for your equipment up front.
- Southeastern Provider
CPI SecurityOur rating7.4Starting at$29.99/mo
CPI offers a wide array of equipment packages, award-winning professional monitoring and the personalized customer support you want from a local company. Month-to-month plans are available with an upfront equipment purchase, and all CPI systems are cellular-based.
Recommended Plan: inTouch Edge features the most of CPI’s intelligent video alert notification cameras, as well as fire detection and full security features.
- Month-to-month contract option
- Can use existing equipment
- Intelligent video notifications
- Contract is required if equipment is not purchased upfront
- Must call to find out specific pricing
- No DIY installation option
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other Local Home Security Providers for Durham
If you prefer to shop local for your home security needs, here are a few more of our top picks for home security systems in the Durham area.
- Triangle Security: Rather than using salespeople to help you choose the devices you need, Triangle Security uses its trained installation technicians for your home security system consultation.
- Alarm Man of NC: Alarm Man of NC is a family-owned business with no long-term contracts and a one-year warranty on all parts and labor.
- First Security Service Inc.: Founded in 1988, First Security Service takes pride in keeping up with the latest home security technology and offers smart devices by Honeywell and other leading security brands.
- Iwatch Security: Located in nearby Raleigh, Iwatch installs home security systems ranging in size from small apartments to large homes and gets most of its business from positive client reviews.
Surrounding Areas For Durham
Durham home security providers also provide service to the following areas around Durham:
- Chapel Hill, NC
- Hillsborough, NC
- Morrisville, NC
- Cary, NC
- Apex, NC
- Wake Forest, NC
- Holly Springs, NC
- Garner, NC
- Raleigh, NC
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Durham
Because North Carolina is prone to strong seasonal weather from hurricanes, it’s important for Durham residents to choose a home security company with at least one monitoring center outside of the state. This gives you continued access to emergency monitoring center services even when bad storms hit.
ADT is a good choice for Durham homeowners due to its redundant monitoring centers around the country and its years of experience in the security industry. ADT offers both professional installation and monitoring.
Renters should consider security companies that don’t require long-term contracts, such as CPI, Cove, or Alarm Man of NC. Having a month-to-month agreement instead of a contract gives you the flexibility you need if you have to move. We’d recommend DIY security systems over professionally installed systems for renters as well.
All of the local companies we researched offer home security cameras to Durham residents. Our top picks for video surveillance from national home security companies are SimpliSafe, Frontpoint, Vivint, and ADT.
Triangle Security, Alarm Man of NC and CPI offer smart home devices in Durham, and most of the national brands on our list of Best Home Security Systems—including ADT, Vivint, SimpliSafe, and Frontpoint—also offer home automation options.