Gateway Alarm, Inc.
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Optional||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Lifetime warranty with new system||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About St. Louis
Named after Louis IX of France, St. Louis is known first for the famous Gateway Arch, built between 1963 and 1965 as a monument to St. Louis’ 19th-century role as the gateway to the west. However, as the largest metropolitan area in Missouri with more than 2.8 million residents, St. Louis has much more to offer than the Arch. The St. Louis metropolitan area is home to two major sports franchises in baseball and hockey, as well as nine Fortune 500 companies, including Ameren, Edward Jones and Reinsurance Group of America, to name a few.
If you live in St. Louis, or will be moving there soon, you may want to consider a home security system. Here we’ve detailed some of the best providers in the area, to help you make your final decision.
St. Louis Crime Statistics
According to the 2018 FBI Crime Report, larceny-theft is the most common crime in the city of St. Louis. There were also over 3,500 aggravated assaults, almost 3,000 burglaries, and over 2,700 robberies. Unfortunately, St. Louis has a slightly higher rate of aggravated assault than similar-sized cities, but this may be due to reporting differences. Because St. Louis County is separate from the city, and home to 89 municipalities of its own, these crime rates don’t account for the entire metropolitan area of St. Louis.
- 12,413 incidents of larceny-theft
- 3,577 incidents of aggravated assault
- 2,979 incidents of burglary
- 2,750 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 1,452 incidents of robbery
St. Louis Spotlight: Gateway Alarm, Inc. — Local Security Provider
Gateway Alarm is a locally owned security company in St. Louis with over 30 years of industry experience. Gateway offers in-house professional monitoring, which means this company is right with you every step of the way. Gateway technicians are bonded professionals, and the company prides itself on personalized customer service.
Gateway’s professional monitoring service starts at $22 per month with a two-year contract or $24 per month with no contract. The company offers a wide variety of equipment that can be purchased a la carte, as well as DIY system kits, environmental sensors such as flood detectors, and wearable emergency devices.
Best Home Security Systems in Kansas City, MO
- Regional MO/IL Provider
Gateway Alarm, Inc.BBB ratingNRStarting at$22/mo
Gateway Alarm is a locally owned business with over three decades of experience with home and commercial security. Offering both month-to-month and contracted agreements, this company has something for everyone.
- Month-to-month option
- Home automation
- Environmental sensors
- Monthly arrangement costs more
- No BBB rating
- 50% deposit on pro installation
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for St. Louis
St. Louis is home to a host of excellent home security companies in addition to Gateway Alarm. Some of the best include:
- Citywide Alarms: One of the top-rated security companies in St. Louis, Citywide Alarms emphasizes cutting edge equipment for a safer and more powerful home.
- Erker Security Systems: Serving the St. Louis area since 1994, Erker Security Systems provides custom security systems that focus on the customer’s unique needs.
- Central District Alarm: CDA is the oldest and biggest family-owned security company in St. Louis, and with 67 years in business, one of the most experienced in the country.
- Burnes-Citadel Security: Burnes-Citadel is another local St. Louis company that’s been in business for over 40 years, offering a wide array of home security services and equipment.
Surrounding Areas for St. Louis
St. Louis is a large metropolitan area, and security companies serving this area serve both St. Louis proper and surrounding towns both in Missouri as well as across the border in Illinois, including:
- Alorton, IL
- Brooklyn, IL
- Cabanne Place, MO
- Cahokia, IL
- Eagle Park, IL
- East Saint Louis, IL
- Gratiot, MO
- Hathaway Meadows, MO
- Madison, IL
- Madison Station, IL
- Maplewood Park, IL
- National City, IL
- Newport, IL
- North Venice, IL
- O’Fallon, MO
- Sauget, IL
- St. Charles, MO
- Tower Grove, MO
- Venice, IL
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for St. Louis
Larceny-theft, aggravated assault, and burglary are the crimes most often reported in St. Louis, so your home security system should include great professional monitoring and entry detection, at the least.
Gateway Alarm offers professional monitoring starting at $22 per month, which is competitive with some of the most affordable companies in the nation, including SimpliSafe.
Because of their flexible, customized solutions, both Gateway Alarm and Erker Security are great choices for renters and homeowners alike. Some excellent national providers for renters include SimpliSafe, Frontpoint, and Cove.
Almost all St. Louis providers provide professional installation, including Gateway Alarm, Burnes-Citadel, and others, as well as many of the best national companies, including ADT, Vivint and Protect America.
Most local companies require a contract for professional monitoring, but Gateway Alarm has a month-to-month option. If you’re open to national options, check out these providers that don’t require a contract for their services.