Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Optional||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Lifetime warranty with new system||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About Kansas City, MO
Kansas City, Missouri, has about 489,000 residents and is one of America’s barbecue capitals. Besides touring the city’s Kansas City-style BBQ joints, there are plenty of fun activities in Kansas City, from the Worlds of Fun 235-acre theme park to the American Jazz Museum. According to Neighborhood Scout, though, 98% of American cities are actually safer than Kansas City, since its crime rates are relatively high per capita. Whether you’re moving to Kansas City or are already planted in the area, finding a local home security provider with professional monitoring can give you peace of mind.
Kansas City Crime Statistics
Statistics from the FBI show that Kansas City reported 21,236 incidents of property crime in 2018. Among those incidents, the majority were larceny-theft crimes. Here’s the breakdown of the major crimes that occurred in 2018:
- 13,305 incidents of larceny-theft
- 5,665 incidents of aggravated assault
- 4,214 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 3,717 incidents of burglary
- 1,637 incidents of robbery
Kansas City Spotlight: Scharig Alarm Systems — Local Security Provider
Scharig Alarm Systems has been serving Kansas City since 1994, and with monitoring starting at $19.99 per month, it’s one of the most affordable local providers. Scharig offers three different ways to serve you, so whether you have an existing system or need one and can’t afford it, there’s an option for you. Its professional monitoring service has won three Super Service Awards from Angie’s List.
If you already have a Honeywell home security system, Scharig will monitor your home starting at $19.99 per month. If you want to purchase a home security system and enter the same contract-free monthly plan, Scharig sells Honeywell security systems at $399.99 and installs them for free. The system includes a keypad with LCD display, a pet-sensitive motion detector, three door sensors and an indoor siren.
Your other option is to lease a Honeywell security system when you enter into a 36-month contract for home monitoring service. The equipment is installed for free and is covered by lifetime warranties. The system includes a motion sensor, indoor siren, touchscreen keypad and contact sensors for all home entry doors. The company requires you to be a homeowner and pass a credit check in order to qualify, and monthly service under this contract starts at $24.99 per month.
You get the basics with this package, but if you need surveillance cameras or remote access to your security system while you’re away, Scharig offers three different smart home packages. All require a 36-month contract, and the monthly price isn’t listed online. However, the equipment is included free with the service contract, and the monthly rate depends on the customizations you make for your home.
Best Home Security Systems in Kansas City, MO
- Regional KS/MO Provider
Scharig Alarm SystemsBBB ratingA+Starting at$19.99/mo
With Scharig Alarm Systems, you can select a smart home package or get started with home security essentials at a low cost. While you have to be a homeowner in some cases, Scharig’s month-to-month plans are great for renters. Professional monitoring with Scharig starts at $19.99/mo.
- Month-to-month service option available
- No upfront equipment purchase required
- Affordable monthly rates
- Adding cameras increases your monthly rate
- Remote access not included in every monitoring plan
- Month-to-month monitoring only available with Honeywell equipment
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Kansas City
These are some of the other home security providers in Kansas City:
- SHIELD Security Systems: SHIELD offers cellular and landline systems with customization options and no long-term contracts.
- Jade Alarm: Jade Alarm has been servicing Kansas City since 1969. The company is UL certified and uses a radio monitoring network called SecureNet instead of landlines or Internet to ensure monitoring is never cut
- Rampart Security Systems: Rampart has been serving Kansas City since 1981 and provides wireless security equipment designed for DIY installation and also requires no long-term contracts.
- Atronic Alarms: Atronic offers a variety of customizable systems and services for Kansas City-area residents, including home automation and environmental controls.
Surrounding Areas for Kansas City
You might also look into providers servicing neighborhoods around Kansas City, such as:
- Kearny, MO
- Platte City, MO
- Smithville, MO
- Parkville, MO
- Olathe, KS
- Shawnee, KS
- Lenexa, KS
- Overland Park, KS
- Prairie Village, KS
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Kansas City
Scharig is the best provider for homeowners, with low monthly rates and plenty of smart home automation options. However, it does require a credit check. Protect America is a great national option for homeowners without good credit since you can still get your equipment at no upfront cost.
Scharig gives you the option to get your equipment free for the duration of your monitoring service contract when you pass a credit check. Brinks is another provider that lets you finance your equipment, paying for it in small chunks over the duration of a long-term contract.
Scharig, SHIELD and Rampart have monitoring packages available that don’t require contracts for service. SimpliSafe and Ring are two of our favorite national providers that offer monthly service agreements.