Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Not specified on website||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Not specified on website||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Detroit, the capital of Michigan and home to about 670,000 Americans, is known for being the historic home of the automotive industry, as well as Motown music. You’ll stay for the Detroit style pizza and fall in love with the local art scene. Detroit gets a bad rap for high crime rates, and the statistics don’t lie. Like any American metropolis, there are quieter pockets where crime rates are lower. Of course, you want your property secured and your family protected no matter what. If you live in or are moving to Detroit, we can help you find the right home security solution for your need
Detroit Crime Statistics
According to Neighborhood Scout, 98% of cities in the U.S. are safer than Detroit. The city had 28,897 reported property crime incidents in 2018, according to FBI records. Larceny-theft crimes occurred at the highest rate, with aggravated assault next. Here’s a breakdown of the offenses Detroit reported in 2018:
- 15,003 incidents of larceny-theft
- 9,920 incidents of aggravated assault
- 7,440 incidents of burglary
- 6,454 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 2,309 incidents of robbery
Detroit Spotlight: Guardian Alarm - Local Security Provider
Guardian Alarm has been servicing residents in Detroit and surrounding areas with 24/7 home monitoring since 1930, giving them a whopping 90 years of local experience. In that time it’s become one of the largest independently owned security companies in the country. Still, it focuses on its local roots, and has even partnered with the Detroit Pistons.
Guardian Alarm sells equipment and monitoring in two packaged plans. The Essential Protection plan for $27.99/mo. includes a touchscreen, a motion sensor and window and door sensors for three entry points. Guardian Alarm’s motion sensor is pet-friendly, so you can avoid false alarms. The Essential Protection Plus plan for $34.99/mo. is what you need if you have Google Home or Amazon Alexa equipment to integrate with your Guardian Alarm system. This package will give you the remote access and home automation features you need. With either plan, you have the option to add an indoor camera, outdoor camera, environmental monitoring equipment, smart home devices and more, but it will increase your monthly rate.
Best Home Security Systems in Detroit
- Regional MI/OH Provider
Guardian AlarmBBB ratingA+Starting at$27.99/mo
Guardian Alarm can offer you everything from video surveillance to home automation at a flat monthly rate. If you already have your own equipment, however, Guardian Alarm lets you subscribe to its professional monitoring service for $27.99/mo. It’s affordable and easy to get started with, plus you can easily build your system as your family grows.
- 90 years of experience in Detroit
- Transparent, affordable prices
- Option to get monitoring with your own equipment
- No option to buy equipment upfront
- Activation and installation fees
- Camera not included in packages
- Best for Money-Back Guarantee
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT is a well-recognized name in the home security business thanks to its top-notch equipment, award-winning monitoring centers and commitment to customer service. For people who feel like you get what you pay for, it’s hard to beat ADT.
ADT prefers to provide a brief consultation before quoting a custom package. Contact ADT to get started.
★ Recommended Plan
ADT’s Video Lite Plan is nothing minor — you’ll get motion detection, smart home capabilities, and video surveillance. Equipment starts at $599. Professional monitoring starts at $54.99 per month.
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best for Smart Homes
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint really shines when it comes to equipment. Perhaps no other provider has such an extensive catalog, which makes it an excellent provider for those who plan to install new equipment over time.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased up front
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Short (3-day) trial period
- Best Overall
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.3Starting at$14.99/mo
Our Take on SimpliSafe Home Security
Keep those pesky burglars away with a SimpliSafe security system. Choose from a range of packages and equipment, and get inexpensive professional monitoring.
★ Recommended Plan
We recommend The Barrington if you’re interested in SimpliSafe. This package combines intrusion detection and video surveillance. Equipment starts at $388.93. Professional monitoring starts at $14.99 per month. Self-monitoring is free.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Free self-monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in basic monitoring plan
- Research SimpliSafe
- Best for Customer Service
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint recently changed its billing model to month-to-month contracts, which we believe shows that the company strives to stay on top of industry trends and cares about customer service. We also appreciate that Frontpoint’s equipment is compatible with the major smart home hubs.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Detroit
These are some of the other home security providers servicing Detroit:
- Central Alarm Signal, Inc: Central Alarm Signal has provided home intrusion monitoring, environmental monitoring, and video surveillance solutions in Michigan since 1969.
- Vigilante Security Alarm Systems, Inc.: Vigilante has a state-of-the-art monitoring center for intrusion detection and environmental monitoring, and its touchscreen hub and mobile app offer home automation features.
- Safeguard Security Solutions: Safeguard is a full-service security solution for video surveillance, home automation, or a simple wireless alarm system.
- Pointe Alarm: Pointe Alarm serves Southeast Michigan out of its headquarters in Grosse Pointe. It provides water, temperature and fire monitoring, as well as smart home automation, making it ideal for homeowners.
- Allstar Alarm: Allstar Alarm has serviced Southeast Michigan for more than three decades. It offers the latest home security solutions ranging from video surveillance to home automation and entry access control.
Surrounding Areas for Detroit
These and other providers service Detroit and several surrounding areas, including:
- Highland Park, MI
- Sterling Heights, MI
- Hamtramck, MI
- Ecorse, MI
- River Rouge, MI
- Grosse Pointe Park, MI
- Royal Oak, MI
- Rochester Hills, MI
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Detroit
If you move within Guardian Alarm’s servicing area, they will reinstall your equipment for free. This makes it a good option for renters, who also don’t have to worry about owning the equipment and can give it back when done with the service. Pointe Alarm and Allstar Alarm are also good options for renters because they require no contract. Our national choices for renters are SimpliSafe, Cove and Ring.
Guardian Alarm and Central Alarm Systems are Detroit security providers that offer smart home devices. You’ll also find smart home devices with our recommended national providers as well.
Guardian Alarm is a great choice for homeowners in Detroit because you can add on more features and equipment to your system as your family grows. Our top national providers are good choices as well as you can expand your home security system as needed.
Pointe Alarm and Allstar Alarm are local providers that don’t require you to enter a contract for service. For national options, neither SimpliSafe nor Frontpoint require a contract for their service.