Compare Top Providers
1st Security USA
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Yes, term not specified on website||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Yes, term not specified on website||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Hometown pride runs deep in “The Greatest City in America,” and for a good reason. Baltimore may be only the 26th largest city in the United States, but it’s also among the country’s most historic and vibrant places to call home. Consider it the best-kept secret of the eastern seaboard, where big-city commerce meets small-town charm.
Whether they’re rooting for the Orioles or Ravens, spending a day at the races at Pimlico, shopping at the Inner Harbor, enjoying a crab cake dinner or reflecting on the city’s dramatic history as told through its numerous statues and landmarks, Baltimoreans know how to have fun. But like any other city in the world, Baltimore does have its share of crime. Fortunately, Baltimore’s families have no reason to worry while they take in the sights and sounds of Charm City with a home security system to keep an eye on everything back home.
Baltimore Crime Statistics
Although the homicide rate in Baltimore has risen to record levels in recent years, the 2018 FBI Crime Report indicates that residents of Baltimore are more than twice as likely to experience property crimes than violent crimes. In particular, larceny-theft proved the most common property-related offense to occur in the city. The 2018 breakdown of property crimes include:
- 16,794 instances of larceny-theft
- 6,048 instances of burglary
- 5,364 instances of aggravated assault
- 5,066 instances of robbery
- 4,375 instances of motor vehicle theft
Also read: Safest Cities in Maryland
Baltimore Spotlight: 1st Security USA - Local Security Provider
1st Security USA offers high-quality home security devices with a special focus on home automation. Control your lights, thermostat, door locks and more via a touch-sensitive control panel or mobile app. In addition to the modern equipment offered by 1st Security USA, perhaps the best benefit for Baltimoreans is the Maryland-based central monitoring station. Your security alarms and cameras are reviewed 24/7 by professionals in your local area, which can provide additional peace of mind.
Best Home Security Systems in Baltimore
- Regional MD/VA Provider
1st Security USABBB ratingA+Starting at$39.99/mo
With over 25 years of experience in the home security industry and an extensive range of equipment, 1st Security USA represents a knowledgeable resource for homeowners in Baltimore. If you don’t know what equipment you truly need or don’t feel comfortable installing it, the professionals at 1st Security USA can give you peace of mind.
- Professional installation
- Home automation
- Customized packages
- An additional activation fee ($49)
- Professional monitoring is not optional
- No integration with Google Home, Alexa, etc.
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other local home security providers in Baltimore
- Guardian Security Systems provides video surveillance systems, fire alarms, carbon monoxide detectors and home alarm systems.
- Baltimore Alarm and Security has more than 50 years of experience installing and monitoring home security systems in the Baltimore and D.C. area.
- Westminster Security Company serves residential and commercial customers with a variety of automated security systems.
- A-1 Security Systems services all home security brands and offers local monitoring and home automation equipment.
Surrounding Areas for Baltimore
Given the unique geographic location of the city, Baltimore’s home security companies are within driving distance of multiple states and metropolitan areas, including:
- Washington, D.C.
- Annapolis, MD
- Ellicott City, MD
- Towson, MD
- Columbia, MD
- Bel Air, MD
- Northern Virginia
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Baltimore
Visible signs of a home security system could help deter the high number of burglars and robbers in Baltimore. Consider outdoor cameras, doorbell cameras, and window break alarms.
Consider 1st Security USA, Baltimore Alarm and Security, and A-1 Security Systems for professional installation and service in Baltimore.
All of the home security providers listed above offer security cameras. Most national providers will offer a number of high-tech camera options, too.
There’s no one-size-fits-all solution. The right company for you depends on what you expect in terms of equipment, installation, and monitoring services, as well as your budget.