Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|$45.99/mo.||Request a quote||$29.99/mo.||$14.99/mo.||$44.99/mo.|
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Not specified||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Known to the locals as America’s “biggest small town,” Louisville has plenty to offer in terms of big-city culture and outdoor adventure. With a gorgeous inner-city park system designed by Frederick Law Olmstead and a 100-mile loop of recreational parks encompassing the city, Louisville provides its residents with plenty of opportunities to get out of the house and enjoy the weather. And on rainy days, residents can explore exhibits at the Muhammad Ali Museum, Speed Art Museum, Frazier History Museum, or take a tour through the Louisville Slugger Factory or Churchill Downs, the world-renowned home of the Kentucky Derby.
Don’t let concerns about home security prevent you from enjoying all that Louisville has to offer. Explore the best local home security providers in the area, and find the right one for your home.
Louisville Crime Statistics
The Louisville Metro Police Department also reported the following crime statistics for 2018:
- 1,089 incidents of robbery
- 2,968 incidents of aggravated assault
- 4,625 incidents of burglary
- 18,842 incidents of larceny
- 3,724 incidents of auto theft
Louisville Spotlight: ADS Security - Local Security Provider
Just like Louisville offers small-town charm with big-city amenities, ADS Security combines the personal touch of a local company with the sophisticated technology of a large security firm. First launched in 1992, ADS Security has since expanded its service area to include over eight states including Kentucky. ADS also has a regional office in Louisville and provides professional installation for any home or business within a 50-mile radius of Derby City, including towns in Southern Indiana.
ADS Security offers three ready-made home security equipment packages, called the Traditional Package, Surveillance Package, and the Keyless Entry Package. You can add equipment to any package to suit your needs, and every package includes professional 24-hour monitoring and a mobile app. In order to get a precise quote for each package, contact ADS Security directly.
Best Home Security Systems in Louisville
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
ADS Security operates throughout the southeast, including Huntsville, Alabama. The company offers the latest alarm and home automation technology to keep homes safe and secure. With a fully customized approach and customer-friendly policies, such as a lifetime guarantee, ADS stands out as an excellent choice for home security systems in Huntsville.
Recommended plan: Custom
ADS does not offer pre-bundled equipment plans. Instead, you get to build a customized system based on the size of your home and your particular circumstances and security goals. This customization prevents you from paying for equipment that you don’t want or need.
- 100% customized packages
- Wide selection of equipment and features
- Lifetime guarantee on residential equipment
- Long-term contracts
- Equipment must be paid upfront
- Pricing information not available online
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Louisville
- Currie Sound Security Systems boasts over 90 years in the home security industry and is licensed by the False Alarm Association.
- Hawkeye Security and Electronics specializes in high-resolution security cameras and offers a wide range of environmental sensors.
- CARE Security and Monitoring provides a free security analysis for your home or business and has 24/7 operators monitoring its systems.
- All-in-One Security and Home Entertainment is an authorized ADT dealer and installer in the Louisville area.
Surrounding Areas for Louisville
Home security providers in the Louisville area also typically offer their services to the following areas:
- Jeffersontown, KY
- Shepherdsville, KY
- Shelbyville, KY
- La Grange, KY
- Mount Washington, KY
- Clarksville, IN
- New Albany, IN
- Jeffersonville, IN
- Sellersburg, IN
- Floyds Knobs, IN
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Louisville
Because property crime is of particular concern in Louisville, it’s helpful to have home security features that deter or interrupt burglaries and thefts, such as window and door alarms, motion sensors, window break detectors, and prominently placed security cameras.
Currie Sound Security, Hawkeye Security, CARE Security, and All-in-One Security each provide professional installation for your home. Two national providers we’d recommend for professional installation are ADT and Vivint.
ADS Security offers smart home technology that works with Amazon Alexa, Apple Home, as well as through Z-wave devices. Hawkeye also offers a control panel with Z-wave technology.