Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|$45.99/mo.||Request a quote||$29.99/mo.||$14.99/mo.||$44.99/mo.|
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Not specified||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Not specified||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About Lexington, KY
Lexington is Kentucky’s second-largest city, home to 323,780 residents. As home to the University of Kentucky, it’s a major college town and the center of the action for Kentucky college basketball. It’s also home to the famous Keeneland Race Course, which has been hosting horse racing auctions since 1936. According to Neighborhood Scout, 91% of cities are safer than Lexington. This doesn’t speak well to its crime rates, which are higher than average in the state.
Having a local security company monitoring your home in Lexington puts you with security experts who are also knowledgeable about Lexington. With the right home monitoring plan in place for your home, you can deter potential burglars and trust the emergency call center will respond.
Lexington, KY Statistics
FBI data shows that Lexington reported 10,329 incidents of property crime in 2018. The vast majority of crimes involved theft and burglary. According to Neighborhood Scout, property crime is over 70% more likely in Lexington than in most of Kentucky. Here’s a breakdown of the crimes Lexington reported in 2018:
- 7,755 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,523 incidents of burglary
- 1,051 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 422 incidents of robbery
- 295 incidents of aggravated assault
Lexington Spotlight: Bates Security — Local Security Provider
Bates offers everything you might need from home automation to multi-camera live surveillance, with four monitoring plans to choose from. However, you’re required to have a free consultation with Bates to learn what the rates for those plans are. The equipment varies by home, so the rates aren’t fixed. For example, the fourth monitoring plan includes home surveillance monitoring, which has a rate that probably increases with each camera you add. While it’s unfortunate the company isn’t transparent about its pricing, this is fairly common for local monitoring companies, and you can at least look at Bates’ monitoring packages and what they cover before you have a consultation.
- Regional KY Provider
Bates SecurityBBB ratingA+Starting at$/mo
Founded by a former Lexington police officer, Bates Security has a great track record of getting high customer service ratings, and it’s even been ranked as one of the top 100 home security companies. Bates also won the “Installer of the Year” award in 2012 and 2016 from Security Sales and Integration Magazine. We love that you get a false alarm guarantee and a lifetime warranty on the equipment you buy.
- Award-winning service and quality customer service
- Offers access control, remote access and home automation
- Flexible, customizable equipment and monitoring setup tailored to your home's needs
- Video surveillance only in most expensive monitoring package
- No transparent pricing on website
- No transparent pricing on website
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended package: Barrington
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Lexington
These are some of the other home security providers in Lexington:
- Cornerstone Protection: This company sells and installs landline or wireless alarm equipment and offers 24/7 contract-free monitoring and a generous 90-day risk-free trial.
- Kentucky Secured: A locally owned and operated branch of ADT that provides equipment and monitoring for burglary, fire, carbon monoxide and flood monitoring, this relatively new company offers a two-month free trial.
- Safe Streets: Another local ADT provider, Safe Streets sells and installs alarm systems with digital touchpads, pet-friendly motion sensors and home automation capabilities.
- Integrated Security Solutions: In business for over 20 years, ISS provides equipment from Honeywell and Alarm.com for home monitoring and home automation.
- Security Essentials of Lexington: This Lexington-based company has been in business for more than 30 years, and offers a two-month free trial and lifetime fixed-rate guarantee, providing everything from alarm systems to home automation and surveillance.
Surrounding Areas for Lexington
You may want to look into providers serving neighborhoods around Lexington, including:
- Richmond, KY
- Versailles, KY
- Wilmore, KY
- Lawrenceburg, KY
- Winchester, KY
- Georgetown, KY
- Frankfort, KY
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Lexington
Cornerstone Protection, Kentucky Secured, Protect Your Home, Security Essentials of Lexington and Bates Security are the providers offering professional installation. National providers that offer professional installation include ADT and Vivint.
Not all local providers reveal their rates. However, you can start as low as $19.95 per month with Security Essentials of Lexington, plus you get a two-month free trial. Or you can look at an affordable nationwide provider, such as Ring Alarm, which offers $10-per-month professional monitoring with home automation.
Bates Security is the best provider for homeowners in Lexington who want peace of mind knowing that local experts are a call away if something happens. For the most affordable option to get started with, Protect America is a nationwide provider that offers equipment included for the duration of your contract for just $19.99 per month.
Cornerstone Protection and Kentucky Secured offer smart home devices, though the other providers are compatible with third-party smart devices.