Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Yes, term not specified on website||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||1 year parts and labor; Extended warranty is available||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Indianapolis is the capital of Indiana and home to about 870,000 Americans. It boasts the world’s largest children’s museum, the annual Indianapolis 500 and the famous Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum. It’s a culturally rich yet relatively quiet metropolis for working families to raise kids, and its crime is lower compared to larger cities. It’s a popular, growing Midwestern town, and we can help you find a home security solution servicing Indianapolis that makes sense for you.
Indianapolis Crime Statistics
According to the FBI, Indianapolis had 36,237 reported property crime incidents in 2018. Larceny-theft crimes occur at the highest rate, with burglary coming in second place. Here’s a breakdown of the reported offenses from the FBI:
- 23,448 incidents of larceny-theft
- 7,842 incidents of burglary
- 7,250 incidents of aggravated assault
- 4,947 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 3,081 incidents of robbery
Indianapolis Spotlight: Nelson Alarm - Local Security Provider
Founded in 1991, Nelson Alarm services Indianapolis and its surrounding communities with customized security and alarm services. Formerly known as Hoosiers, it’s locally owned and operated by full-time employees specializing in home security.
Nelson Alarm doesn’t offer the option for self-monitoring, but it lets you create a custom emergency plan in case your fire alarm or security system is triggered. It also doesn’t provide equipment packages you can purchase. Instead, an expert helps evaluate your needs and figure out the exact equipment you need for your home. However, Nelson Alarm offers all types of equipment, from carbon dioxide detectors to smart doorbells. Installation for a basic package with Nelson Alarm costs $299 and their monitoring starts at $28/mo. To find out how much a Nelson Alarm system would cost for your home, you can speak with a specialist to request a quote.
Best Home Security Systems in Indianapolis
- Regional IN Provider
Nelson AlarmBBB ratingA+Starting at$28/mo
Nelson provides top-notch intrusion detection, environmental detection and video surveillance equipment, and you can work with the company to customize the right equipment set for your home. Nelson Alarm monitoring starts at $28/mo., and installation for their basic package starts at $299. Unfortunately, the company doesn’t provide pricing for equipment packages online, but you can call and speak with a specialist to determine the best solution for your needs.
- Full-service home monitoring
- Smart home devices and automation
- Wired and wireless system options
- Prices only available by quote
- No pre-set equipment packages
- Installation by appointment only
- Best for Money-Back Guarantee
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT is a well-recognized name in the home security business thanks to its top-notch equipment, award-winning monitoring centers and commitment to customer service. For people who feel like you get what you pay for, it’s hard to beat ADT.
ADT prefers to provide a brief consultation before quoting a custom package. Contact ADT to get started.
★ Recommended Plan
ADT’s Video Lite Plan is nothing minor — you’ll get motion detection, smart home capabilities, and video surveillance. Equipment starts at $599. Professional monitoring starts at $54.99 per month.
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best for Smart Homes
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint really shines when it comes to equipment. Perhaps no other provider has such an extensive catalog, which makes it an excellent provider for those who plan to install new equipment over time.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased up front
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Short (3-day) trial period
- Best Overall
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.3Starting at$14.99/mo
Our Take on SimpliSafe Home Security
Keep those pesky burglars away with a SimpliSafe security system. Choose from a range of packages and equipment, and get inexpensive professional monitoring.
★ Recommended Plan
We recommend The Barrington if you’re interested in SimpliSafe. This package combines intrusion detection and video surveillance. Equipment starts at $388.93. Professional monitoring starts at $14.99 per month. Self-monitoring is free.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Free self-monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in basic monitoring plan
- Research SimpliSafe
- Best for Customer Service
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint recently changed its billing model to month-to-month contracts, which we believe shows that the company strives to stay on top of industry trends and cares about customer service. We also appreciate that Frontpoint’s equipment is compatible with the major smart home hubs.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other local home security providers in Indianapolis
These are some of the other home security providers servicing Indianapolis:
- ProTECHt – With ProTECHt, customers can choose from three equipment packages and pay nothing upfront for the equipment. Choose from their Smart Security Package ($800 value), Smart Automation Package ($1,000 value), and their Smart Video Package ($1,200 value).
- Indiana Alarm – With very low-cost professional monitoring, Indiana Alarm is a great choice for those on a budget. Pay as low as $18/mo. with no long-term contract required for their service, and get access to intrusion detection, video surveillance, home automation, and their medical alert service.
- OnGuard Security Solutions – This Indiana security provider offers landline and cellular monitoring for homes. You can choose from three packages (Level 1, Level 2, and Level 3) with monitoring plans that range from $31.95/mo. – $49.95/mo. OnGuard Security also provides Guardian Voicelink™ for immediate connection to a monitoring specialist via their control panel in the event your alarm is triggered.
- Guardhouse Security Services – Offering homeowners up to $1,000 worth in free home security equipment, Guardhouse Security provides both landline and cellular monitoring. Their landline monitoring costs $26.95/mo. and requires a 3-year contract, and cellular monitoring costs $36.95/mo. With Guardhouse, you can also get free home hazard monitoring.
- Circle City Security Systems – Choose from four home security packages with Circle City Security for intrusion detection, video surveillance, home automation, and more. You’ll find a Bronze Package ($35/mo.), Silver Package ($35/mo), Gold Package ($45/mo.), and Platinum Package ($55/mo.). Their Bronze Package comes with free installation while home automation features are available in the Gold and Platinum packages. Circle City Security also provides GPS monitoring for parents who want to make sure their teen drivers are safe.
Surrounding Areas for Indianapolis
You might also look into providers servicing the areas around Indianapolis, such as:
- Westfield, Indiana
- Noblesville, Indiana
- Carmel, Indiana
- Zionsville, Indiana
- Brownsburg, Indiana
- Greenfield, Indiana
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Indianapolis
Out of our locally recommended providers above, Indiana Alarm is the least expensive as far as their monitoring, which starts at $18/mo, and their systems are professionally installed. SimpliSafe is the least expensive for a DIY security system with their monitoring starting at $14.99/mo.
Nelson Alarm is great for homeowners because it has the option for a wired or wireless alarm system, and the company provides cutting-edge smart home devices for home automation. ProTECHt is another good option for homeowners, as it provides both fire and intrusion monitoring and is known for reducing homeowners insurance costs.
Indiana Alarm is a local provider that doesn’t require long-term contracts, but just a month-to-month subscription for monitoring service. SimpliSafe and Frontpoint are national providers with month-to-month agreements as well.