Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Not specified||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Lifetime parts and labor warranty||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About Orlando, FL
Situated in central Florida, Orlando is the county seat of Orange County and has about 280,000 residents. Although the city of Orlando proper is relatively small, the population of the Orlando metro area is around 2.5 million. Orlando is an important tourist destination for Florida, not only because of its temperate climate, but because it’s home to over a dozen theme parks (the most in the world), including Disney World, LEGOLAND, Universal Studios, and SeaWorld parks.
If you’re planning a move to Orlando, or even if you’re already a resident, your home’s security should be top of mind. Here we’ve detailed a few of the best local home security companies, so you can find the right fit for you.
Orlando Crime Statistics
Larceny-theft was the most reported crime in Orlando in 2018, according to the FBI’s Crime Report. There were nearly 11,000 such cases in 2018, with over 1,500 burglaries, 1,400 cases of aggravated assault, and just over 1,200 incidents of motor vehicle theft. According to Neighborhood Scout, the property crime rate in Orlando is more than twice as high as the state average. Here’s a breakdown of some of the most common crime totals in 2018:
- 10,965 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,619 incidents of burglary
- 1,415 incidents of aggravated assault
- 1,219 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 628 incidents of robbery
Local Spotlight: SafeTouch — Local Security Provider
According to its website, SafeTouch is the nation’s largest independent communications security company, offering home security systems, 24/7 monitoring, home automation features, and a wide variety of equipment options. Even though SafeTouch is the largest independent provider in the country, it only serves a few metro areas in Florida, plus Savannah, Georgia. This means it has the resources to provide great service with a personal, local touch.
SafeTouch security plans start at $29.95 per month, and all its plans are cellular based, so there’s never a need for a landline or internet connection to be protected with SafeTouch. Higher-tiered plans include two-way communications with monitoring agents, crash and smash technology, and video surveillance technology.
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Regional FL/GA Provider
SafeTouch Home SecurityOur rating7.6Starting at$29.95/mo
Founded by Lester Jackson in 1994, SafeTouch Security operates in a few major Florida metro areas, including Jacksonville, Orlando, Tallahassee and Tampa, as well as Savannah, Georgia. Their security system works with numerous telecommunication service providers, including AT&T, Brighthouse, Comcast, Embarq, GT, and Media Com. SafeTouch’s equipment catalogue includes traditional security equipment such as motion detectors and window sensors, along with the latest smart home devices, like smart door locks and video doorbells. SafeTouch monitoring starts at $29.95/mo.
- Wide range of equipment
- Cellular monitoring for all packages
- Lifetime equipment warranty
- Limited service area
- Monitoring fees higher than some other companies
- Package pricing not available for equipment
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Orlando
Besides SafeTouch, there are quite a few good home security companies in the Orlando area, including:
- Orlando Emergency Signal: Operating only since 2007, Orlando Emergency Signal is a local business founded on the idea that customers can and should be treated like family.
- CSI Global: CSI Global is a family-owned company founded recently in 2009, but its founders have over 40 years of experience in the security systems industry.
- AAMI: AAMI provides customized security systems for both residential and business customers in Florida.
- Alpha One Security: Established as Alpha One Security in 2007, this company actually has over 25 years of experience in home security, serving customers around Miami and Orlando.
Surrounding Areas for Orlando
The Orlando metro area is a large urban area in central Florida, and towns served by home security companies in this area include:
- Altamonte Springs, FL
- Azalea Park, FL
- Casselberry, FL
- Conway, FL
- Doctor Phillips, FL
- Fairview Shores, FL
- Fern Park, FL
- Forest City, FL
- Goldenrod, FL
- Lockhart, FL
- Maitland, FL
- Oak Ridge, FL
- Pine Castle, FL
- Pine Hills, FL
- Winter Park, FL
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Orlando
Larceny and burglary are the most common crimes in Orlando, so it’s important to look for good entry detection and professional 24/7 monitoring for your home.
SafeTouch is competitive with many national security chains, starting at $29.95 per month for 24/7 monitoring. For even more affordable monthly monitoring cost, try DIY providers like SimpliSafe or Cove.
Most home security companies in Orlando offer camera packages, including SafeTouch and Alpha One Security.
All of the providers mentioned here offer professional installation services, including SafeTouch, as well as many of the top national companies.