Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|$45.99/mo.||Contact for a quote||$29.99/mo.||$14.99/mo.||$44.99/mo.|
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||None||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Not specified||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Miami, home to 471,000 residents, is a hot spot for beach-going, tropical garden exploring, and enjoying the outdoors any time of the year. Little Havana and Little Haiti offer locals a culturally rich dining and live music experience. According to Neighborhood Scout, there’s a 1 in 28 chance of becoming a victim of property crime in Miami. Whether you’re new to Miami or you’re a local, having a home security system is important for your peace of mind. We’ve looked at several local monitoring service providers in the Miami area to compare what they offer. We’ll tell you what we think is the safest choice.
Miami Crime Statistics
Statistics from the FBI reveal Miami reported 16,837 incidents of property crime in 2018. The vast majority were larceny-theft crimes, but the second-most frequent property crime was burglary. Miami residents experienced burglary at a rate 17.6% higher than the U.S. average. Here’s the breakdown of the crimes reported in 2018:
- 13,136 incidents of larceny-theft
- 2,057 incidents of burglary
- 1,973 incidents of aggravated assault
- 1,644 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 828 incidents of robbery
Miami Spotlight: General Security — Local Security Provider
General Security provides high-tech, cutting-edge security equipment for your home, as well as professional monitoring. As a family-owned and operated business, General Security is a reliable provider for monitoring your home. Given the company has spent over 30 years servicing the area, the staff has a great deal of knowledge of neighborhoods and local responders. General security isn’t transparent about its monitoring rates or equipment prices, but it offers an impressive range of state-of-the-art security equipment.
While the company doesn’t have any security equipment sets, it mentions it sells equipment from Honeywell, QOLSYS, DSC and Nortek. They can set you up with intercom, access control, and video surveillance systems. You get smoke and carbon monoxide alarms and remote access to your security system with live video feed viewing, making it an ideal system for checking on older kids and elderly parents from afar. They also offer smart devices such as smart door locks, Wi-Fi-enabled sprinklers, garage door control and doorbell cameras. General Security also sells smart thermostats from Alarm.com, which are designed to help you save energy on autopilot.
- Best for Customizable Packages
General Security boasts 30 years of experience providing security solutions for homeowners and businesses. The company offers different packages with various smart home components, like smart thermostats and light controls, as well as DIY security options. This fast-growing security company specializes in cutting-edge, creatively designed security and home automation systems, including unique services like visual verification, intercom systems, video monitoring, card access, home energy management systems, and fire safety.
Recommended Package: Systems are customizable so you must call to explore options
- 30 years of experience in security
- A wealth of smart home technologies
- The ability to customize your security packages
- Typical contract length is 5 years
- Limited service area
- Pricing and warranty information unavailable online
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended package: Barrington
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Miami
These are some of the other home security providers in Miami:
- Arco Electronics Inc.: Operating since 1970, Arco Sells and installs alarm and surveillance systems and provides 24/7 monitoring from its own local monitoring center.
- Circle Security Solutions: Circle Security provides alarm and surveillance systems, home automation and remote access, as well as 24/7 monitoring, and claims it will meet or beat any competitor’s prices.
- DML Security Systems: This local provider has over 20 years of experience and offers alarm and surveillance systems with access control, and provides professional installation and home and business monitoring services.
- Miami Security Systems: MSS provides intrusion and fire alarm systems, video surveillance and access control equipment, along with professional monitoring and a price-match guarantee.
Surrounding Areas for Miami
You might also look into providers servicing residential areas around the city, such as:
- Coral Gables, FL
- Pinecrest, FL
- Sunny Isles Beach, FL
- Kendall, FL
- Doral, FL
- Key Biscayne, FL
- Palmetto Bay, FL
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Miami
Arco Electronics Inc., Circle Security Solutions, DML Security Systems, and Miami Security Systems all offer security cameras, which can be used for indoor or outdoor surveillance. General Security also offers smart doorbell cameras.
General Security offers DIY security systems you can self-install, as well as SimpliSafe, Frontpoint, Abode, and Nest.