Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Lifetime equipment warranty||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Home to Jacksonville Beach, 400 different city parks, the Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens, plus multiple state and national parks, Jacksonville is a hot spot for people who love the outdoors. Jacksonville is also home to the World Golf Hall of Fame, and Bob Hayes — the only person who has earned both a Superbowl ring and an Olympic gold medal. The city boasts a population of 903,889 people, and a footprint that spans over 840 square miles, making it the largest city by area in the continental U.S. In such a large, diverse city it can be hard to pinpoint the right home security company, but we can help you find a home security system that’s right for you in Jacksonville.
Jacksonville Crime Statistics
According to Neighborhood Scout, both property and violent crime statistics are significantly higher in Jacksonville than the national average, with the risk of theft having the most significant difference at 25 per 1,000 residents compared to the national average of 16 per 1,000. Due to statistics such as these, Neighborhood Scout puts Jacksonville in just the 8th percentile for safety, with 92% of U.S. cities ranking as safer than Jacksonville. In Jacksonville in 2018, the FBI reported:
- 22,262 incidents of larceny-theft
- 4,909 incidents of burglary
- 3,413 incidents of aggravated assault
- 2,941 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 1,323 incidents of robbery
Jacksonville Spotlight: SafeTouch - Local Home Security Provider
SafeTouch was founded in 1995 and has been serving Jacksonville and its surrounding areas ever since. The company offers home security systems to Florida residents in Jacksonville, Tampa, Tallahassee, and Orlando. SafeTouch also provides home security to homes and businesses in Savannah, Georgia. SafeTouch has a grade of A- from the Better Business Bureau, with an impressive 5-star customer rating. SafeTouch calls itself “the nation’s largest independent communications-security company.” It owns and operates its own monitoring center, and uses Alarm.com to power its smart home integrations.
SafeTouch offers wireless cellular devices and monitoring, with three packages to choose from. Every package includes professional installation, a lifetime warranty on parts and labor, professional monitoring, and remote operation via the mySafeTouch app. The SafeTouch Secure package comes with four door and window sensors and costs $29.95/mo. The SafeTouch Advantage package includes a more advanced control panel with two-way talk, smash-and-crash protection, and smart device integration starting at $39.95/mo. The highest-tier package, SafeTouch Pro, includes all the perks of the Advantage, plus video surveillance and cloud storage starting at $44.95/mo.
Best Home Security Systems in Jacksonville
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Regional FL/GA Provider
SafeTouch Home SecurityOur rating7.6Starting at$29.95/mo
Founded by Lester Jackson in 1994, SafeTouch Security operates in a few major Florida metro areas, including Jacksonville, Orlando, Tallahassee and Tampa, as well as Savannah, Georgia. Their security system works with numerous telecommunication service providers, including AT&T, Brighthouse, Comcast, Embarq, GT, and Media Com. SafeTouch’s equipment catalogue includes traditional security equipment such as motion detectors and window sensors, along with the latest smart home devices, like smart door locks and video doorbells. SafeTouch monitoring starts at $29.95/mo.
- Wide range of equipment
- Cellular monitoring for all packages
- Lifetime equipment warranty
- Limited service area
- Monitoring fees higher than some other companies
- Package pricing not available for equipment
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other local home security providers for Jacksonville
We know how important it is to many Jacksonville residents to support local businesses, so we found a few more Jacksonville home security companies worth checking into.
- Atlantic Security– North Florida’s Folio Weekly Magazine listed Atlantic Security as its top choice for home security providers in Jacksonville based on a reader poll.
- Bates Security– Bates Security was founded by a police officer, and lets you communicate directly with the company’s owner if you have questions.
- Tison Sound & Security– If you’re looking to integrate your home security with smart home devices, Tison Sound & Security specializes in home automation services.
- North Florida Smart Home Solutions– North Florida Smart Home Solutions works with Jacksonville homeowners to install security cameras, video doorbells, and other home security products.
Surrounding Areas for Jacksonville
Most Jacksonville home security providers also provide service to the following Jacksonville suburbs:
- Avondale/Riverside, Florida
- Callahan, Florida
- Jacksonville Beach, Florida
- Orange Park, Florida
- Palm Valley, Florida
- Atlantic Beach, Florida
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Jacksonville
According to the U.S. Department of Justice, warm weather equals more crime. Because Jacksonville has a warm climate year-round, outdoor security cameras and video doorbells are essential for monitoring and deterring crime in your neighborhood.
Atlantic Security, Bates Security, Tison Sound & Security, and SafeTouch all offer security cameras to customers in and around Jacksonville. North Florida Smart Home Solutions installs cameras but does not sell them.
The lowest price listed on a company’s website is for Atlantic Security, which allows customers to switch the monitoring for their existing landline system to Atlantic starting at $19.95/mo. Switching wireless systems starts at $31.95/mo.
All the local companies we found in Jacksonville offer professional installation. Security Sales and Integration Magazine awarded Bates Security the “Installer of the Year” award in 2012 and 2016.