As Connecticut’s state capital, Hartford is best known for its many historical landmarks, including the home of literary great Mark Twain and the oldest public park in America, Bushnell Park. The Bushnell Park Carousel is a popular attraction for Hartford’s 122,105 residents, along with the Connecticut Science Center and its 165 hands-on exhibits. Hartford is also home to the Wadsworth Atheneum Museum of Art, the oldest public art museum in the United States, which contains works by famed artists Monet, Manet, Caravaggio and more. Hartford is well known for its roots in the insurance industry and has been called the “Insurance Capital of the World.” But while insurance is important, one of the best ways to insure your property and ensure your safety is by finding a home security system that’s right for Hartford.
Hartford Crime Statistics
Neighborhood Scout puts Hartford in only the fifth percentile for America’s safest cities, with crime rates higher than 95% of cities in the U.S. According to Neighborhood Scout crime data, you’re five times more likely to become a victim of violent crime in Hartford than in the rest of the state of Connecticut, and more than twice as likely to become a victim of property crime. In Hartford, compared to the rest of the U.S., you’re more likely to become a victim of property crime on average. For Hartford in 2018, the FBI reported:
- 3,089 incidents of larceny-theft
- 605 incidents of burglary
- 884 incidents of aggravated assault
- 741 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 355 incidents of robbery
Local Spotlight: Alarm New England — Local Security Provider
Alarm New England is a family-run home security company that has been serving customers in Hartford and surrounding New England towns in Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts for more than 47 years. The Better Business Bureau gives the company a grade of A+, and it gets an average rating of three out of five stars from Yelp users. Alarm New England offers its customers both month-to-month plans and 36-month contract options.
While most home security companies offer equipment bundled in preset packages, Alarm New England offers a build-your-own-system tool for a fully customized home security package. You can choose to have your home security system professionally installed, or choose a guided DIY option. Alarm New England has three different monitoring plans: Basic, Control and Pro, with monitoring starting at $26.99 a month. Basic includes basic professional monitoring of your home security devices, while Control includes mobile app access for remote arming and disarming and smartphone alerts. The Pro plan adds on home automation options and video surveillance.
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Regional CT Provider
Alarm New EnglandBBB ratingA+Starting at$26.99/mo
Founded in 1972, Alarm New England is a family-run company that prides itself on providing customers with clear-cut home security. It offers Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts residents a variety of home security options, including a la carte systems, options for DIY or professional installation and both month-to-month and contract options.
- DIY and professional installation
- Optional contracts
- Build-your-own-system tool
- Mobile access not available in basic plan
- No equipment pricing on website
- No home automation available with basic plan
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other Local Home Security Providers for Hartford
For additional options for home security systems in Hartford, check out these local companies.
- Standard Security Systems: A division of Standard Oil, Standard Security Systems claims to be the “largest independent security company in Connecticut” and offers systems with no upfront costs.
- Associated Security Corporation: Founded in 1975, Associated Security Corporation owns and operates its own 24-hour central monitoring station in East Hartford.
- The Alarm Company: All of The Alarm Company’s technicians have at least 30 years of experience under their belts. In addition to home security systems, The Alarm Company also provides medical alert systems as well.
- Consolidated Security: Consolidated Security is a family-operated home security company that likes to know its customers on a first-name basis. Technicians install both residential and commercial security systems in the Hartford area.
Surrounding Areas For Hartford
Hartford home security providers also provide service to the following Hartford areas:
- East Hartford, CT
- Wethersfield, CT
- Newington, CT
- Bloomfield, CT
- Windsor, CT
- Rocky Hill, CT
- Manchester, CT
- Farmington, CT
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Hartford
Because so many Hartford residents rely on public transportation to get around, it might not always be easy to jump in a car and run home to check on an alarm event. For that reason, it’s important to have mobile app access to your security system along with indoor and outdoor cameras so you can see what triggered your alarm when you’re not home.
Our top pick for Hartford homeowners is ADT. ADT offers both professional and DIY installation, and it has redundant monitoring centers around the country. The company also has a longstanding reputation in the home security systems industry.
If you’re renting a home or apartment, it’s a good idea to avoid a long-term contract. The best contract-free options for Hartford include Alarm New England, SimpliSafe, and Frontpoint. The Alarm Company has a shorter-term contract, requiring a minimum length of one year rather than three.
Consolidated Security, Associated Security, and Alarm New England all include home automation devices in their home security equipment lineups. Vivint is one of our top picks for national brands with strong home automation offerings.