Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||1 year||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About San Jose
Home to the famous Winchester Mystery House and 1,030,119 people, San Jose is a bustling city full of eclectic character. The SoFA District’s colorful murals decorate the walls of coffee shops, craft breweries and art galleries. Sports fans cheer at the minor league San Jose Giants games and predict which players might get called up to the San Francisco Giants. Outdoor adventurers enjoy San Jose’s surrounding mountains, taking advantage of hiking and biking trails throughout Alum Rock Park and Castle Rock State Park. But for all of San Jose’s charms, like any large city, its residents need the peace of mind that good home security offers. We’ve checked out the best home security systems in San Jose to help you make the right choice for you and your family.
San Jose Crime Statistics
According to Neighborhood Scout, crime rates in San Jose are comparable to crime rates in the rest of the state of California, but higher than those in other parts of the country. San Jose ranks in the 15th percentile for the safest cities in the nation, making 85% of U.S. cities safer than San Jose. Its motor vehicle theft numbers are more than triple the national average, at a rate of 7.57 per 1,000 residents compared to the national average of 2.29 per 1,000. For San Jose in 2018, the FBI reported:
- 13,510 incidents of larceny-theft
- 4,539 incidents of burglary
- 2,208 incidents of aggravated assault
- 7,704 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 1,593 incidents of robbery
San Jose Spotlight: Bay Alarm Home Security - Local Security Provider
Bay Alarm Home Security is a family-owned business that operates its own Five Diamond-certified monitoring center in California. The company offers 24-hour emergency system repairs, with multiple local offices throughout California and additional offices in Phoenix, AZ, and North Sound, WA. The Better Business Bureau gives Bay Alarm a rating of A+, and Yelp reviewers give it an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars.
Unlike some national providers, Bay Alarm Home Security doesn’t have set home security system packages. Instead, the company offers a customized approach based on your home’s layout and your security needs. In addition to the standard door and window sensors and motion sensors, Bay Alarm’s equipment includes key fob remotes, video doorbells, indoor and outdoor cameras, fire alarms, and carbon monoxide detectors. The Bay Alarm Link app lets you arm and disarm your system using your smartphone. Home security system installation starts at $199, and professional monitoring starts at $35 a month.
Best Home Security Systems in San Jose
- Best for Personal Service
Founded in 1946, Bay Alarm Home Security has plenty of experience protecting homes. The company offers fully customizable plans to suit your home and budget. With great equipment and integration with smart devices, Bay Alarm’s security systems can give you peace of mind and control over your home safety.
★ Recommended Plan
Custom: Bay Alarm does not offer pre-bundled equipment packages. You’ll need to consult with a Bay Alarm representative to select the best equipment for your household, which may include wearable medical monitoring devices, fire and smoke detectors, and security cameras and sensors. A custom package allows you to get exactly what you want without having to pay for extras that you may not use, which is often the case with pre-bundled packages.
- Patrol and Response program
- Complete life safety system
- Fully customizable packages
- Minimum contract of 36 months required
- Lack of specific pricing on the website
- Lack of contract details on the website
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for San Jose
If you want to shop local, here are our top picks for home security providers local to San Jose:
- A-A Lock & Alarm: A-A Lock & Alarm has been installing home security systems and providing locksmith services to San Jose and Menlo Park for more than sixty years.
- Audio Video Evolution: If you want your home security system to be part of your integrated smart home, Audio Video Evolution can ensure all of your devices and home appliances work seamlessly together.
- Borges Security Systems, Inc.: Borges Security is family-owned and operated, and offers professional installation with optional monitoring.
- Watchdog Alarm: From security systems to fire alarms and surveillance cameras, Watchdog Alarm is a one-stop shop for San Jose residents looking for home security.
Surrounding Areas for San Jose
San Jose home security providers also provide service to the following San Jose suburbs:
- Palo Alto, CA
- Sunnyvale, CA
- Saratoga, CA
- Los Gatos, CA
- Milpitas, CA
- Campbell, CA
- Cupertino, CA
- Gilroy, CA
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for San Jose
Because of the high rates of motor vehicle theft in San Jose, outdoor security cameras are a must. Motion sensors and well-placed video doorbells can also alert you to activity in and around your home’s parking areas.
SimpliSafe, Frontpoint, Vivint, and ADT all offer home security cameras for San Jose residents. Local companies Bay Alarm, A-A Lock & Alarm, Audio Video Evolution, Borges Security, and Watchdog Alarm also sell and install video surveillance equipment.
SimpliSafe is one of our top picks for affordable DIY home security in San Jose. Monitoring starts at $14.99/mo., and there are no mandatory contracts. Basic home security system packages start at $183, or you can use SimpliSafe’s Build My System tool to create your own customized package.
All of the local San Jose security companies we researched have professional installation technicians. Other companies in San Jose with professional installation services are ADT and Vivint.
For DIY home security systems in San Jose, check out SimpliSafe and Frontpoint. DIY systems give you the convenience of portability, so you can take your home security system with you even if you move.