Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||1 year warranty||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Home Security in Sacramento
Situated approximately 100 miles from the coast in Northern California, Sacramento is the state capital and a rich center of California history. It’s also the fastest growing city in California and is also home to two major universities: California State University Sacramento and the University of California Davis. Not only is Sacramento an educational hub, it’s also home to a wide variety of tourist attractions such as The California Museum, the California State Railroad Museum, the California Hall of Fame, and the Crocker Art Museum. Sacramento is one of California’s most diverse and interesting cities. If you’re looking to call Sacramento home, or you want to upgrade your home security system, here are some of the best home security companies in the area.
Sacramento Crime Statistics
Like any growing city, Sacramento has its share of crime. The FBI’s 2018 crime report shows Sacramento’s most common crimes are larceny-theft, motor vehicle theft, and burglary. Larceny was reported almost 10,000 times, car thefts numbers neared 3,000 and burglaries were over 2,500. Here is the FBI’s specific crime breakdown for Sacramento in 2018:
- 9,783 incidents of larceny-theft
- 2,883 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 2,751 incidents of burglary
- 2,139 incidents of aggravated assault
- 1,052 incidents of robbery
Local Spotlight: Bay Alarm — Local Security Provider
Bay Alarm is the largest independent, family-owned home security company in the nation. Operating throughout California since 1946, Bay Alarm is easily the most experienced local security company. Bay Alarm does everything it can to provide a local, personalized service, so it doesn’t offer standard one-size-fits-all packages. Instead, customers can consult with the company and create a custom solution. Most Bay Alarm technicians live in the neighborhoods they serve, so you’re guaranteed to have a close connection to its service.
Bay Alarm’s installation cost is $199.00 and professional monitoring starts at $35.00 a month. Since every customer package is different, the website doesn’t detail specific packages, so the company recommends calling or going to its site to request a custom quote. Bay Alarm offers a wide array of equipment and services, including professional monitoring, alarm systems, home automation, doorbell cameras, fire alarms and smoke detectors, patrol and response services, and security cameras.
- Best for Personal Service
Founded in 1946, Bay Alarm Home Security has plenty of experience protecting homes. The company offers fully customizable plans to suit your home and budget. With great equipment and integration with smart devices, Bay Alarm’s security systems can give you peace of mind and control over your home safety.
★ Recommended Plan
Custom: Bay Alarm does not offer pre-bundled equipment packages. You’ll need to consult with a Bay Alarm representative to select the best equipment for your household, which may include wearable medical monitoring devices, fire and smoke detectors, and security cameras and sensors. A custom package allows you to get exactly what you want without having to pay for extras that you may not use, which is often the case with pre-bundled packages.
- Patrol and Response program
- Complete life safety system
- Fully customizable packages
- Minimum contract of 36 months required
- Lack of specific pricing on the website
- Lack of contract details on the website
- Best home security for industry experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best smart home security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint is our top choice for smart home security with an extensive line of equipment filled with smart features. The control panel also doubles as a smart hub. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best overall DIY security system
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe Home Security is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment, and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best pet-friendly home security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short trial period (30 days)
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Additional Local Home Security Providers for Sacramento
Sacramento residents have plenty of choices when it comes to local home security providers. Besides Bay Alarm, Sacramento is home to:
- Astro Security Monitoring: Astro Security Monitoring has been in the Sacramento area since 1962 and is still a family-owned local business offering a full array of security solutions.
- Sacramento Valley Alarm: Another long-standing family business, Sacramento Valley Alarm has been in business since 1947 and still serves the Sacramento area.
- Sacramento Home Alarm and Automation: A local Sacramento business, Sacramento Home Alarm and Automation specializes in professionally installed alarm and automation systems.
- Watch Dog Security: Watch Dog Security serves Sacramento and all surrounding areas with a complete range of security, monitoring, surveillance, and automation services.
Surrounding Areas for Sacramento
Sacramento home security companies serve Sacramento neighborhoods and surrounding towns, including:
- Citrus Heights, CA
- Davis, CA
- East Sacramento, CA
- Elk Grove, CA
- Folsom, CA
- Hollywood Park, CA
- Midtown, CA
- Oak Park, CA
- Pocket-Greenhaven, CA
- Rancho Cordova, CA
- Tahoe Park, CA
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Sacramento
Theft from homes and cars are the most reported crimes in Sacramento, so your home security system should include appropriate entry sensors, cameras, and good professional monitoring.
Bay Alarm provides professional installation as do most local providers such as Sacramento Home Alarm and Automation. National home security providers like ADT and Vivint also provide professional installation.
Most local Sacramento security companies require a contract, but some national companies like SimpliSafe, Cove, and Frontpoint have month-to-month plans for their services.