Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||One year||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||One year on parts||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About Oxnard, CA
Sand dunes, beaches, and 276 days of sunshine characterize the small city of Oxnard, California, making it absolutely irresistible if you love the great outdoors. With the bustling city of Santa Barbara 35 miles north and Los Angeles 60 miles to the south, Oxnard’s unique location gives residents plenty of options for day trips or “staycations.”
But in order to truly enjoy yourself at the Channel Islands, local wineries such as Magnavino Cellars, and the Oxnard Salsa Festival, you want to be sure your home is safe and secure. Oxnard offers a high standard of living, but as in any town, property theft does occur. By investing in the best home security systems in Oxnard and Ventura County at large, you can rest easy knowing your home is safe and secure.
Oxnard Crime Statistics
According to the FBI’s city data for 2018, the following crimes were reported in Oxnard in 2018:
- 3,568 incidents of larceny-theft
- 704 incidents of burglary
- 394 incidents of aggravated assault
- 783 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 327 incidents of robbery
The Oxnard neighborhoods that report the most crime include South Bank, Sierra Linda, Fremont North, Hobson Park East, Hobson Park West and South Winds, according to Neighborhood Scout. The neighborhoods least likely to report crime include El Rio, East Village, Channel Islands and Hollywood by the Sea.
- Best for All-Around Security
Boyd and AssociatesBBB ratingD-Starting at$30/mo
Boyd and Associates sells burglar, fire and medical alarm systems, as well as numerous smart devices, including smart cameras. The company also employs patrol and security officers and an on-the-ground alarm response team.
Recommended plan: Custom
Boyd and Associates works with customers to create a unique equipment and monitoring plan tailored to their needs. The company offers a full selection of medical, environmental and burglar alarms, plus smart cameras, locks and energy management devices.
- Large selection of equipment and devices
- Patrol and response team
- On-the-ground help
- Limited equipment warranty
- Monthly monitoring price is relatively pricey
- Long-term contracts
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$19.99/mo
Our Take on SimpliSafe Home Security
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended Package
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other Local Providers
If Boyd and Associates doesn’t quite match your budget or expectations, check out these other local providers in Ventura County and the surrounding area.
- Bay Alarm: Bay Alarm provides a robust range of burglar and fire alarm systems, plus video surveillance, smart home devices and patrol and response teams.
- iTech Smart Home: This company specializes in home automation devices, including smart home security systems from brands such as Ring and Nest.
- Douglas Technologies: Douglas sells automated door locks, garage door locks and controls, and security cameras from brands such as Honeywell.
- Elite Entertainment Systems: This company sells home security alarms, security cameras and home automation devices.
Additional Areas Covered
Some of the best home security system providers in Oxnard may also serve surrounding areas in California, including:
- Santa Barbara
- Port Hueneme
- Thousand Oaks
- Simi Valley
- Santa Paula
- Mira Monte
- Mussel Shoals
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Oxnard, CA
Larceny-theft and motor vehicle theft occur in Oxnard, so smart door locks and garage door controls can help you keep your home secure. Prominently placed outdoor security cameras and motion sensors are also great deterrents for intruders.
You’ll need to call local providers such as Boyd and Associates and Bay Alarm to inquire about financing options. Some national brands, such as Frontpoint, allow you to finance your home security system through a lending company called Affirm. Others, such as Protect America, only charge a monthly monitoring fee and do not require an upfront payment for equipment.