Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||1-year equipment warranty||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About Irvine, CA
The area in Southern California where Irvine sits has been occupied for around 12,000 years, with native tribe the Gabrielinos appearing around 2,000 years ago and Spanish explorers settling in the area in the 1700s. Today, Irvine is home to over 280,000 people and part of the Los Angeles metropolitan area, which covers a large part of Southern California. Irvine itself features a host of cultural and natural attractions, such as Orange County Great Park, Crystal Cove State Park, Pretend City Children’s Museum and the Orange County Zoo. Irvine is also home to the University of California Irvine.
However, like any other city, Irvine does experience crime, so we’re covering the top local home security providers in Irvine to help you find the right security solution for your household.
Irvine Crime Statistics
According to the FBI’s 2018 crime report, Irvine has a relatively low crime rate for a city of its size. Still, there is some crime in the city. The following crimes were reported in Irvine in 2018:
- 2,840 incidents of larceny-theft
- 621 incidents of burglary
- 198 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 67 incidents of aggravated assault
- 53 incidents of robbery
Local Spotlight: Bay Alarm — Local Security Provider
Bay Alarm is the largest independent security company in the country. This family-owned company has been serving California since 1946. Bay Alarm offers personalized service with a local feel, and its technicians live in the neighborhoods they serve. Bay Alarm doesn’t offer one-size-fits-all security packages. Instead, consultants work with you to create the best solution for your needs.
Bay Alarm installation costs $199, which is competitive, and professional monitoring starts at $35 per month. Since the company only offers personalized solutions, you won’t find package details on its website. Instead, Bay Alarm recommends you request a custom quote on the website. The company offers a wide array of services and equipment, including home automation, fire alarms and smoke detectors, patrol and response services, and security cameras.
- Best for Personal Service
Founded in 1946, Bay Alarm Home Security has plenty of experience protecting homes. The company offers fully customizable plans to suit your home and budget. With great equipment and integration with smart devices, Bay Alarm’s security systems can give you peace of mind and control over your home safety.
★ Recommended Plan
Custom: Bay Alarm does not offer pre-bundled equipment packages. You’ll need to consult with a Bay Alarm representative to select the best equipment for your household, which may include wearable medical monitoring devices, fire and smoke detectors, and security cameras and sensors. A custom package allows you to get exactly what you want without having to pay for extras that you may not use, which is often the case with pre-bundled packages.
- Patrol and Response program
- Complete life safety system
- Fully customizable packages
- Minimum contract of 36 months required
- Lack of specific pricing on the website
- Lack of contract details on the website
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended package: Barrington
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in the basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other Local Providers
There are several other reputable and high-quality home security companies in and around the Irvine area, including:
- Security One: Security One provides both residential and commercial security services and smart home solutions.
- Smart Systems Technologies: SST serves customers in California and Arizona, offering home security, home automation and home entertainment installs.
- JadTec: JadTec is a locally owned, locally monitored home security company that features competitive prices without long-term contracts.
- Boyd Security: Boyd Security is one of the largest family-owned security companies in Southern California. Operating since 1967, Boyd offers a full range of residential and commercial security solutions.
Additional Areas Covered
Home security companies in Irvine may also serve nearby areas of California, including:
- Aliso Viejo
- Costa Mesa
- Fountain Valley
- Garden Grove
- Huntington Beach
- Laguna Beach
- Laguna Hills
- Laguna Woods
- Lake Forest
- Mission Viejo
- Newport Beach
- Santa Ana
- Tustin Foothills
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Irvine, CA
Burglary and theft are the most common crimes in Irvine, so it’s a good idea to look for a security system with entry detection and 24/7 professional monitoring. Motion sensors and cameras are also great deterrents for intruders.