Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||Optional||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||1-year warranty||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
About Scottsdale, AZ
Scottsdale is a desert gem, surrounded by the city of Phoenix, the Salt River, the McDowell Mountains and Tonto National Forest. Known for its golf courses and charming Old Town neighborhood, the city offers visitors and residents plenty of chances to enjoy both: Scottsdale sees more than 300 sunny days each year on average. The Phoenix suburb is also known for its spa retreats, where people looking to relax can soak up some desert sun or cool off indoors with self-care treatments. Despite its great reputation, the city of Scottsdale is in close proximity to the more populous capital city, and having a home security system is a smart idea for all types of homes here.
Scottsdale Crime Statistics
Neighborhood tracking website Neighborhood Scout gives Scottsdale a crime rating of 22/100, meaning that it is safer than just 22% of other American cities. Still, the website notes that Scottsdale residents are far less likely to be involved in a violent crime than in Greater Arizona. The robbery and assault rates are also much more favorable in Scottsdale (0.34 and 0.81 per 1,000 people, respectively) than the national crime rate.
In 2018, the FBI reported the following crimes in Scottsdale:
- 4,700 incidents of larceny-theft
- 711 incidents of burglary
- 206 incidents of aggravated assault
- 272 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 87 incidents of robbery
- Best for Wireless Security
Alert 360 has a Five Diamond-certified alarm monitoring center and certified monitoring specialists. With streamlined home security and automation, Alert 360 is prepared to detect emergencies, alert residents and automate certain security measures. Users can choose from four home security packages: the Smart Door Lock, Smart Home Video, Door Command and Complete Smart Home.
- Steep discounts for switching over from an existing security system
- Free mobile monitoring app is compatible with every package
- HVAC compatibility with almost any 24V system for smart thermostats
- Installation is not free
- Cameras not available with every package
- Short warranty period
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT is one of the most well-known home security providers. You can expect traditional security with professional monitoring and installation. Choose from three packages, but keep in mind that you’ll need to upgrade your package if you want smart home or surveillance features. ADT also requires long-term contracts, but equipment financing is available.
★ Recommended Plan: We recommend the Complete package to give you everything you need from the start. It’s the only plan that includes security essentials, smart home compatibility and surveillance. Professional installation and monitoring are also included. Best of all, you’ll get ADT’s 6-month money-back guarantee and theft protection guarantee.
- 6-month money-back guarantee and theft protection guarantee
- Wide variety of smart home equipment
- Over 140 years of experience with award-winning professional monitoring
- Must upgrade plan for smart home or surveillance features and equipment
- Professional installation and monitoring are required
- Long-term contract required
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
If you’re looking for smart home security, Vivint is our top choice. It offers the most extensive line of smart home and security equipment. Its intrusion and environmental equipment are filled with smart features, and the control panel doubles as a smart hub to connect and control your smart home devices. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
★ Recommended Plan: Vivint offers two packages: Smart Home and Smart Security. We recommend the Smart Home package to give you video monitoring, smart home control, environmental monitoring and the security essentials in one package.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top home security pick because it offers reliable home security equipment at a cheaper price than most competitors. Even though smart home equipment isn’t offered, you’ll have the flexibility to create the system you want within your budget thanks to SimpliSafe’s customizable plans. But keep in mind that you’ll need to pay for equipment upfront because financing isn’t available.
★ Recommended package: The Haven plan offers the best value among SimpliSafe’s offerings. It gives you intrusion and environmental monitoring equipment for less than $500. The package includes security essentials, a smoke detector, a temperature sensor and more. You can add cameras and SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro for the full SimpliSafe security experience.
- Equipment and monitoring plans are cheaper than competitors
- Optional professional monitoring and installation
- Customizable packages and easy add-ons
- Upfront costs are more expensive than competitors
- No smart home equipment available
- Must upgrade to plan for remote and smart home control
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint is a DIY security option that offers wireless security and smart home equipment. It’s a close runner-up compared to SimpliSafe. You’ll have more surveillance options with two indoor cameras, an outdoor and doorbell camera. Professional monitoring is required and can be costly compared to others, but you can save money with Frontpoint’s easy DIY installation. Mobile app and video surveillance are also included in the cost instead of an extra fee.
★ Recommended Plan: Frontpoint’s Bunker Package is ideal for most homes. It comes with the essentials for intrusion, plus an indoor camera and smoke detector for $634. If you’re debating between the Bunker and Fortress packages, the big difference is that you’ll get more sensors with Fortress — good for larger homes.
- Smart home equipment available
- Financing available to lower upfront cost
- Mobile app and video surveillance included in monitoring cost
- No professional installation option
- Expensive professional monitoring
- Trial period is only 30 days
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other Local Home Security Providers for Scottsdale
- Bulwark Home Security: Bulwark Home Security has earned 5/5 stars on Google Reviews.
- Titan Alarm: Titan Alarm has an extensive offering of home and office security features, including fire protection.
- Black Hat Security: You can take advantage of remote access, home security and energy management services from Black Hat Security.
- AZ Alarm Company: The AZ Alarm Company has the best Angie’s List rating for alarm companies in the state.
Surrounding Areas For Scottsdale
Scottsdale security companies also offer services in the following regional areas:
- Phoenix, AZ
- Mesa, AZ
- Glendale, AZ
- Tempe, AZ
- Gilbert, AZ,
- Chandler, AZ
- Surprise, AZ
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Scottsdale
With property crimes in Scottsdale slightly above the national average, cameras and door alarms are vital components of any home security system in Scottsdale.
You can get a home alarm system without a contract in Scottsdale, though many major providers do require one. If you want to go contract-free, look for a package from Alert 360, SimpliSafe and Frontpoint.
Almost every home security company we reviewed in Scottsdale includes professional installation. If you’d like to go the DIY route, stick with Frontpoint.
If you don’t want to invest in a full, semi-permanent or permanent alarm system, options like Nest and SimpliSafe are a good choice. You get access to cameras and door alarms without any permanent fixtures.
Most of the home alarms and security features we reviewed offer smart technology. This ranges from thermostat management to remote unlocking.