Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|$45.99/mo.||Custom; depends on equipment||$29.99/mo.||$14.99/mo.||$44.99/mo.|
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Lifetime guarantee||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Located in the Appalachian region of northern Alabama, Huntsville offers plenty of local attractions, including the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, the Huntsville Botanical Garden and the Huntsville Museum of Art. It’s also home to a variety of restaurants and food trucks, in addition to parks and greenways with plenty of hiking and biking trails.
However, like any city, Huntsville does experience crime, so it’s a good idea to research the best home security systems in Huntsville and greater Madison County. Below, we cover the best home security providers in the area to help you find the right solution for your household.
Huntsville Crime Stats
According to the Huntsville Police Department, the following crimes were reported in 2019:
- 5,811 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,193 incidents of burglary
- 5,239 incidents of simple assault
- 925 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 307 incidents of robbery
The Huntsville Police Department notes that all of these crime statistics decreased from the previous year. However, the state of Alabama still ranks in the top 10 for the highest burglary rates per 100,000 people. Data from Neighborhood Scout indicates that Huntsville neighborhoods reporting the most crime include West Huntsville, Chelsea, Davis Hills, Edmonton Heights and downtown Huntsville.
- Regional Provider
ADS Security operates throughout the southeast, including Huntsville, Alabama. The company offers the latest alarm and home automation technology to keep homes safe and secure. With a fully customized approach and customer-friendly policies, such as a lifetime guarantee, ADS stands out as an excellent choice for home security systems in Huntsville.
Recommended plan: Custom
ADS does not offer pre-bundled equipment plans. Instead, you get to build a customized system based on the size of your home and your particular circumstances and security goals. This customization prevents you from paying for equipment that you don’t want or need.
- 100% customized packages
- Wide selection of equipment and features
- Lifetime guarantee on residential equipment
- Long-term contracts
- Equipment must be paid upfront
- Pricing information not available online
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT’s a well-recognized name in the home security industry. It offers traditional security that requires professional installation and monitoring at a steep price.
★ Recommended Plan
- 6-month money-back guarantee
- $500 theft protection guarantee
- High-quality equipment
- Must pay for an extended warranty
- Lengthy contracts
- More expensive than competitors
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
Vivint has an extensive line of smart security equipment that you can expand over time. The downside is that you’ll have a long-term contract if you finance your equipment.
★ Recommended Plan
Vivint’s Smart Home Service is our recommended plan because it unlocks a larger selection of smart home devices, as well as video monitoring.
- Month-to-month contract option if equipment is purchased upfront
- Backup battery included with the Sky Control panel
- Extensive equipment features, including Vivint Car Guard
- Long contract if equipment is financed
- Installation can take 3-4 hours
- Short (120-day) equipment warranty and service guarantee (unless you purchase Premium)
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$19.99/mo
Our Take on SimpliSafe Home Security
SimpliSafe is our top pick for inexpensive monitoring, durable equipment and reliable services that simplify home security. You’ll have all the right devices and features to give you peace of mind — even when the unexpected happens.
★ Recommended Package
- Inexpensive professional monitoring
- Wireless equipment
- Cellular monitoring
- Mobile alerts not available in the basic monitoring plan
- No selection of smart home devices
- Smart home capabilities not available in basic monitoring plan
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint lets you choose both your package and monitoring plan to help build the perfect home security system for renters and homeowners alike. Monitoring can be costly, but free DIY installation helps lower costs without reducing reliability or protection.
★ Recommended Plan
Our recommended Frontpoint plan is the Safe Home Starter equipment package combined with the Ultimate monitoring plan, which will give you access to a smartphone app for monitoring your security devices.
- No lengthy contracts
- Excellent customer service
- Variety of equipment to choose from
- Monitoring fees are relatively expensive
- Short (30 days) trial period
- No professional installation option
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other Local Providers
If you want to explore more local options, then check out these other home security providers in Huntsville.
- Shaffer Security Company: This company offers residential alarm systems and wireless security cameras.
- Halo Security: Halo Security focuses on smart home solutions and professional monitoring for an automated, secure home.
- Professional Fire and Security: This company offers residential security systems for homeowners and renters alike.
- Safe Tech Security Systems: Safe Tech Security Systems provides professional monitoring for existing systems, as well as equipment you can purchase through the company.
- Koorsen Fire and Security: This company boasts over 70 years of experience in home security and offers the latest modern home automation and security technology.
- Locktec Inc.: Locktec offers a variety of alarm systems and security cameras, plus gate access.
Additional Areas Covered
Home security and alarm companies serving Huntsville may also serve nearby areas, such as:
- Redstone Arsenal, Alabama
- Madison, Alabama
- Capshaw, Alabama
- Harvest, Alabama
- Athens, Alabama
- Decatur, Alabama
- Triana, Alabama
- New Hope, Alabama
- Scottsboro, Alabama
- New Market, Alabama
- Meridianville, Alabama
- Hazel Green, Alabama
- Big Cove, Alabama
- Fayetteville, Tennessee
- Elkton, Tennessee
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Huntsville, AL
Motion-activated outdoor security lights and cameras with two-way audio are great deterrents for intruders. Smart locks and lights can also help you protect your home even when you’re not there.
Companies that offer professional installation in Huntsville include ADS Security, Shaffer Security Company, Halo Security, Professional Fire and Security, Safe Tech Security Systems, Koorsen Fire and Security and Locktec Inc. Some companies, such as Safe Tech Security Systems, will install a system even if you purchased it elsewhere.
It’s unclear whether any local home security providers in Huntsville offer financing, since this information is not readily available on their websites. However, some national providers, such as Frontpoint, offer financing through Affirm. Others, like Protect America, give free use of their equipment for a monthly monitoring fee.