Compare Top Providers
Pro. monitoring starts at
|$45.99/mo.||Custom; depends on equipment||$29.99/mo.||$14.99/mo.||$44.99/mo.|
|Professional||Professional||Professional||DIY or Professional||DIY|
|36 months||36 months||42-60 mos. or pay for equipment in full||None||None|
Smart home compatibility
|Option to extend limited warranty||Lifetime guarantee||120-day equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty||3-year limited equipment warranty|
Located in the Appalachian region of northern Alabama, Huntsville offers plenty of local attractions, including the U.S. Space and Rocket Center, the Huntsville Botanical Garden and the Huntsville Museum of Art. It’s also home to a variety of restaurants and food trucks, in addition to parks and greenways with plenty of hiking and biking trails.
However, like any city, Huntsville does experience crime, so it’s a good idea to research the best home security systems in Huntsville and greater Madison County. Below, we cover the best home security providers in the area to help you find the right solution for your household.
Huntsville Crime Stats
According to the Huntsville Police Department, the following crimes were reported in 2019:
- 5,811 incidents of larceny-theft
- 1,193 incidents of burglary
- 5,239 incidents of simple assault
- 925 incidents of motor vehicle theft
- 307 incidents of robbery
The Huntsville Police Department notes that all of these crime statistics decreased from the previous year. However, the state of Alabama still ranks in the top 10 for the highest burglary rates per 100,000 people. Data from Neighborhood Scout indicates that Huntsville neighborhoods reporting the most crime include West Huntsville, Chelsea, Davis Hills, Edmonton Heights and downtown Huntsville.
ADS Security operates throughout the southeast, including Huntsville, Alabama. The company offers the latest alarm and home automation technology to keep homes safe and secure. With a fully customized approach and customer-friendly policies, such as a lifetime guarantee, ADS stands out as an excellent choice for home security systems in Huntsville.
Recommended plan: Custom
ADS does not offer pre-bundled equipment plans. Instead, you get to build a customized system based on the size of your home and your particular circumstances and security goals. This customization prevents you from paying for equipment that you don’t want or need.
- 100% customized packages
- Wide selection of equipment and features
- Lifetime guarantee on residential equipment
- Long-term contracts
- Equipment must be paid upfront
- Pricing information not available online
- Best Home Security for Industry Experience
Our Take on ADT Home Security
ADT is one of the most well-known home security providers. You can expect traditional security with professional monitoring and installation. Choose from three packages, but keep in mind that you’ll need to upgrade your package if you want smart home or surveillance features. ADT also requires long-term contracts, but equipment financing is available.
★ Recommended Plan: We recommend the Complete package to give you everything you need from the start. It’s the only plan that includes security essentials, smart home compatibility and surveillance. Professional installation and monitoring are also included. Best of all, you’ll get ADT’s 6-month money-back guarantee and theft protection guarantee.
- 6-month money-back guarantee and theft protection guarantee
- Wide variety of smart home equipment
- Over 140 years of experience with award-winning professional monitoring
- Must upgrade plan for smart home or surveillance features and equipment
- Professional installation and monitoring are required
- Long-term contract required
- Best Smart Home Security
Our Take on Vivint Home Security
If you’re looking for smart home security, Vivint is our top choice. It offers the most extensive line of smart home and security equipment. Its intrusion and environmental equipment are filled with smart features, and the control panel doubles as a smart hub to connect and control your smart home devices. The only downside is that Vivint requires a long-term contract if you finance the equipment. Professional monitoring and installation are also required.
★ Recommended Plan: Vivint offers two packages: Smart Home and Smart Security. We recommend the Smart Home package to give you video monitoring, smart home control, environmental monitoring and the security essentials in one package.
- Smart Hub to connect and control smart home and security devices
- Extensive smart features for security equipment including package detection and Smart Deter
- Wide range of security and smart home equipment
- Contract required for service and financed equipment.
- Professional monitoring and installation required
- Expensive equipment compared to other providers
- Best Overall DIY Security System
SimpliSafe Home SecurityOur rating9.9Starting at$14.99/mo
Our take on SimpliSafe Home Security:
SimpliSafe is our top home security pick because it offers reliable home security equipment at a cheaper price than most competitors. Even though smart home equipment isn’t offered, you’ll have the flexibility to create the system you want within your budget thanks to SimpliSafe’s customizable plans. But keep in mind that you’ll need to pay for equipment upfront because financing isn’t available.
★ Recommended package: The Haven plan offers the best value among SimpliSafe’s offerings. It gives you intrusion and environmental monitoring equipment for less than $500. The package includes security essentials, a smoke detector, a temperature sensor and more. You can add cameras and SimpliSafe’s Video Doorbell Pro for the full SimpliSafe security experience.
- Equipment and monitoring plans are cheaper than competitors
- Optional professional monitoring and installation
- Customizable packages and easy add-ons
- Upfront costs are more expensive than competitors
- No smart home equipment available
- Must upgrade to plan for remote and smart home control
- Best Pet-Friendly Home Security
Our Take on Frontpoint Home Security
Frontpoint is a DIY security option that offers wireless security and smart home equipment. It’s a close runner-up compared to SimpliSafe. You’ll have more surveillance options with two indoor cameras, an outdoor and doorbell camera. Professional monitoring is required and can be costly compared to others, but you can save money with Frontpoint’s easy DIY installation. Mobile app and video surveillance are also included in the cost instead of an extra fee.
★ Recommended Plan: Frontpoint’s Bunker Package is ideal for most homes. It comes with the essentials for intrusion, plus an indoor camera and smoke detector for $634. If you’re debating between the Bunker and Fortress packages, the big difference is that you’ll get more sensors with Fortress — good for larger homes.
- Smart home equipment available
- Financing available to lower upfront cost
- Mobile app and video surveillance included in monitoring cost
- No professional installation option
- Expensive professional monitoring
- Trial period is only 30 days
Best Home Security Systems of 2020
Other Local Providers
If you want to explore more local options, then check out these other home security providers in Huntsville.
- Shaffer Security Company: This company offers residential alarm systems and wireless security cameras.
- Halo Security: Halo Security focuses on smart home solutions and professional monitoring for an automated, secure home.
- Professional Fire and Security: This company offers residential security systems for homeowners and renters alike.
- Safe Tech Security Systems: Safe Tech Security Systems provides professional monitoring for existing systems, as well as equipment you can purchase through the company.
- Koorsen Fire and Security: This company boasts over 70 years of experience in home security and offers the latest modern home automation and security technology.
- Locktec Inc.: Locktec offers a variety of alarm systems and security cameras, plus gate access.
Additional Areas Covered
Home security and alarm companies serving Huntsville may also serve nearby areas, such as:
- Redstone Arsenal, Alabama
- Madison, Alabama
- Capshaw, Alabama
- Harvest, Alabama
- Athens, Alabama
- Decatur, Alabama
- Triana, Alabama
- New Hope, Alabama
- Scottsboro, Alabama
- New Market, Alabama
- Meridianville, Alabama
- Hazel Green, Alabama
- Big Cove, Alabama
- Fayetteville, Tennessee
- Elkton, Tennessee
Common Home Security Equipment and Features
As one of the sentinels in your home, the motion sensor captures unusual activity, and your system lets you know. Some providers have motion sensors that are designed to be pet-friendly, avoiding pets under 80 pounds to help prevent false alarms. Learn more about motion sensors here in our post.
Door/window sensors are sentinels for your entry points. Most have a discreet profile so they’re not easily seen, but once an entry point is breached, your control panel sounds an alarm to let the intruder know they’ve been caught. Learn more about the door/window sensors offered by Frontpoint, Protect America, and SimpliSafe.
Indoor security camera
If you want to be able to monitor the interior of your home, communicate with family members, and check in on pets, then choosing an indoor security camera is a great option. Most indoor cameras feature HD video, come with night vision, and have two-way communication. Learn more about indoor security camera options offered by SimpliSafe, Vivint, and Abode.
Outdoor security camera
With a smart thermostat, you can potentially improve your home’s energy efficiency. Most smart thermostats allow you to program them, creating a schedule for when your home’s heating and cooling system turns on. Some will also automatically adjust themselves based on certain conditions. Learn more about the smart thermostats offered by Vivint, Frontpoint, and ADT.
Go keyless with a smart lock, designed so you can easily lock or unlock your door via app. Some smart locks have a keycode feature, allowing you to set unique PINs for family members and or professionals who may need to access your home. Learn more about the smart locks offered by Guardian Protection, Protect America, and Scout.
Can’t decide? Compare top providers side-by-side: ADT vs. SimpliSafe, Vivint vs. Frontpoint, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions for Huntsville, AL
Motion-activated outdoor security lights and cameras with two-way audio are great deterrents for intruders. Smart locks and lights can also help you protect your home even when you’re not there.
Companies that offer professional installation in Huntsville include ADS Security, Shaffer Security Company, Halo Security, Professional Fire and Security, Safe Tech Security Systems, Koorsen Fire and Security and Locktec Inc. Some companies, such as Safe Tech Security Systems, will install a system even if you purchased it elsewhere.
Local providers that offer smart home devices include ADS Security, Shaffer Security Company, Halo Security, Professional Fire and Security, and Safe Tech Security Systems. Many national providers also offer smart home devices, including Vivint, SimpliSafe and Frontpoint.
It’s unclear whether any local home security providers in Huntsville offer financing, since this information is not readily available on their websites. However, some national providers, such as Frontpoint, offer financing through Affirm. Others, like Protect America, give free use of their equipment for a monthly monitoring fee.
Local providers that offer security cameras include ADS Security, Shaffer Security Company, Halo Security, Professional Fire and Security, Safe Tech Security Systems, Koorsen Fire and Security and Locktec Inc. National providers like Ring and Abode also offer security cameras.